When are we going to get an official comment from Obsidian?

Well, It just might be a theory, but here goes:

No News means they don't want to say something they have to retract later,

No unifying release date (Ive found eight in four countries) means that these dates a speculative on the part of the distributor,

In a comment left by Matthew Rorie

PR/Marketing Producer, Obsidian Entertainment he states "Thanks for the patience, sorry for the frustrating silence...hopefully it will end soon".

Notice the phrasing there. He acknowledges that the silence is frustrating, but for whom? Obviously we're all frustrated but perhaps the developers are just as nervous watching all of us gather torches for Sega. He goes on to say that HOPEFULLY it will end soon. Which means that the PR/Marketing producer of Obsidian is waiting on something so that he can speak freely, The natural assumption is that its a legal issue that keeps him silent but I believe it has more to do with misinformation, or rather, the prevention of it. While it may seem that I'm over-analyzing these things, you must remember that this man has based his career on statements that will be met with scrutiny. To say that even this statement was not crafted carefully would be foolish.

So, My theory is that Sega and Obsidian distributed the normal amount of games to reviewers awaiting their take on the game. The reviewers might have stumbled on something that was not intended to be offensive, or that didn't work right, or some other content that was somehow damaging to the product, or the company. They brought it to the attention of Sega and Obsidian who had no choice but to change the problem, After all who would release a product that would be a black mark on their record?

But what to do now? with the deadline just a few weeks away, at a time when the biggest concern should be shipping to stores, Now they had a whole new list of troubles. So, with no answers came no statement, choosing silence over the appearance of weakness, Sega and Obsidian bide their time, bearing the brunt of our rage and frustration, buying their developers time. But how much time? Sega, I assume would want the game now, after all they were promised the product at this time and the holiday season is wide open without many big titles for competition. Obsidian in the meantime works desperately to Analise, plan, and solve the problem as quickly as possible, but also putting every scrap of code under a microscope to ensure no more delays. And as of yet, there is no time estimate. Could be a month, could be eight. They cant say which for fear of "Lying" to us again. and pushing us to full boycott.

I hope you found this interesting, because we may never know if I'm right. Even after statements are made, they will be the ones that best put a positive spin on the whole thing. In either case, my money is on June, probably because it makes he least amount of sense, but that seems to be the way of the world today.

thanks for the reply by rorie.... but please get it released at the maximum by mid of november or else interest for the game will be very much lost by many ppl.. apart from which 2010 games will cream AP.... :p

No unifying release date (Ive found eight in four countries) means that these dates a speculative on the part of the distributor,

PR/Marketing Producer, Obsidian Entertainment he states "Thanks for the patience, sorry for the frustrating silence...hopefully it will end soon".

Notice the phrasing there. He acknowledges that the silence is frustrating, but for whom? Obviously we're all frustrated but perhaps the developers are just as nervous watching all of us gather torches for Sega. He goes on to say that HOPEFULLY it will end soon. Which means that the PR/Marketing producer of Obsidian is waiting on something so that he can speak freely, The natural assumption is that its a legal issue that keeps him silent but I believe it has more to do with misinformation, or rather, the prevention of it. While it may seem that I'm over-analyzing these things, you must remember that this man has based his career on statements that will be met with scrutiny. To say that even this statement was not crafted carefully would be foolish.

So, My theory is that Sega and Obsidian distributed the normal amount of games to reviewers awaiting their take on the game. The reviewers might have stumbled on something that was not intended to be offensive, or that didn't work right, or some other content that was somehow damaging to the product, or the company. They brought it to the attention of Sega and Obsidian who had no choice but to change the problem, After all who would release a product that would be a black mark on their record?

But what to do now? with the deadline just a few weeks away, at a time when the biggest concern should be shipping to stores, Now they had a whole new list of troubles. So, with no answers came no statement, choosing silence over the appearance of weakness, Sega and Obsidian bide their time, bearing the brunt of our rage and frustration, buying their developers time. But how much time? Sega, I assume would want the game now, after all they were promised the product at this time and the holiday season is wide open without many big titles for competition. Obsidian in the meantime works desperately to Analise, plan, and solve the problem as quickly as possible, but also putting every scrap of code under a microscope to ensure no more delays. And as of yet, there is no time estimate. Could be a month, could be eight. They cant say which for fear of "Lying" to us again. and pushing us to full boycott.

I hope you found this interesting, because we may never know if I'm right. Even after statements are made, they will be the ones that best put a positive spin on the whole thing. In either case, my money is on June, probably because it makes he least amount of sense, but that seems to be the way of the world today.

Wall of Text hits Sega for 9999 damage (Critical)

Sega's iron arm cripples

Sega loosens its grasp on Alpha Protocol

Alpha Protocol is released

Exactly my thoughts.

Well, yes... Or maybe something happened in the real world that suddenly made Alpha Protocol's story "controversial"?

Could be a month, could be eight. They cant say which for fear of "Lying" to us again. and pushing us to full boycott.

Lol.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

:rolleyes:CoolStoryBro.jpg:thumbsup:

Interesting, well-worded post Spectre.

Personally it's my suspicion that this delay isn't based on offensive content. My guess would be that a:) it's too buggy [some of the more honest previews mentioned that there was a great deal of bugs for this late in the game, and --hate to say it -- but going from Ob's track record on this...] b:) the game appraisers at SEGA where not comfortable with some design choices of the game -- specifically, perhaps how it uses RPG rules for the combat, and they think it should be more of a... mainstream design.

A delay 'til June seems too much. But I dunno. I'm still really shocked that there hasn't been a press release. I guess thye are waiting to pin down the date better. But still. Letting a release date slip by without giving any official statement about it is pretty unprofessional IMHO.

It could just be something like new guy moves in, and finds that a chunk of money has been spent on a game thats had no real marketing right before it's released...

So rather then watch it potentially sink because of it's relative obscurity he has it put on hold for a few months to have a "proper" marketing campaign worked up...

But who knows. Until there's something solid said by Sega and Obsidian.. wild speculation abounds..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

From MCA's twit:

# Mental exhaustion following a 5.5 hr meeting.7:24 PM Oct 7th from web

# Waiting for Spring to spring upon us like a rabid Tigger.3:26 PM Oct 8th from web

I don't guess he's longing for spring to escape the oppressive LA winter.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

<looks outside at the snow and subzero temperatures>

Yeah it must be rough in Orange County!

You have no idea. And I even heard it might possibly rain next week. I've already broken out the jackets.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

Sega. the people demand an explaination!

What is going on with our game? Confirm or deny the rumors being created here, today!

OK. I'm a Sega representative.

Basically, we've asked Obsidian to quietly delay their game and take the time to add more crates, barrels, and container-like objects. They've been such good chaps about it and you really shouldn't blame them for the delay.

I suppose you can blame us at Sega, but trust me, the extra cratey goodness will be worth it!

It's probably just ping pong. Obsidian submit the release candidate to Sega, Sega reject it and hand it back to Obsidian with a list of changes they want, repeat until both parties are happy with the result.

Sega can't say anything definite because they're dependent on Obsidian implementing the changes, and Obsidian can't say anything because they're waiting for Sega to give them a green light. They could make a vague announcement, but that tends not to go down too well with shareholders, particularly going in to the holiday sale period.

I'm calling the BBB...
*Looks at wikipedia*

Black Blood Brothers?

Big Bad Beetleborgs?

Bad Blue Boys?

Big Brother Brazil?

Maybe he thinks bike parts will solve the problem?

http://www.bbbparts.com/

BATTLE, n. A method of untying with the teeth of a political knot that would not yield to the tongue. - Ambrose Bierce