Demon's Souls anyone?

I picked it up yesterday and man, that **** is hard.

It doesn't really have a story or characters in the traditional sense, but it creates a perfect atmosphere for the rest of the game's elements.

The game reminds me of the first DMC game, and in a good way. You're exploring dark and dreary medieval architecture knowing that at any point you could stumble onto a new enemy that kicks your ass back to the beginning of the mission in seconds, robbing you of all your progress.

Interesting online functionality as well.

Basically, thus far it's struck me as a very unique gaming experience in its synthesis of individually familiar parts.

Um, i thought that this game was "Japan-only". Has it been released in the PAL-regions? :lol:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Um, i thought that this game was "Japan-only". Has it been released in the PAL-regions? :woot:

Atlus is releasing it outside Japan.

When I get a PS3 I think this will be the first game I get, looks interesting!

I believe the Hong Kong version is in English. All PS3 games are region free so it should work.

I've also read a lot of positive things about this game and I've been trying to force my cousin into buying it, but he's put off by the alleged difficulty. He's a guy that usually likes to play Halo on easy. There's a good thread over on Eurogamer's boards about Demon's Souls:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_post...hread_id=126214

I'm interested, but I don't own a PS3.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

This is one game that i thought that it wouldn't interest me but from what i have seen and heard i am quite interested.

The on line component is a bit worrisome, I figure that it will either make the game amazing or extremely frustrating, i mean people randomly showing up in the already hard game to Player Kill me.

Otherwise the game looks really interesting, i also love the idea of getting other players in ghost form to help you in difficult levels. I think i might abuse that feature, i mean it only costs you a percentage of souls, i can just do the level twice which will be easier then doing it once by myself.

I have been thinking of getting a new console game, I have been mainly using my PS3 for DVDs so it will be nice to use it for gaming again.

The North American release was Oct 6th, I don't know about PAL regions.

I haven't entirely figured out the PvP and Co-op systems yet, though I'm pretty sure they're linked to one player being in "body" form, in which I've spent about 5% of my gameplay time thus far. I'm pretty sure that, if you're wandering around as a soul (as I am 95% of the time), you can't entirely initiate co-op and people can't force you into PvP either.

Grinding is an option (and a necessity) to lighten the difficulty, but you cannot improve your character's stats until you complete the first dungeon. Doesn't sound too bad in theory, but it took me hours to get through what you could probably do in less than an hour if you got it in one try. There is a brief tutorial with some hand-holding, but then the game starts killing you repeatedly.

The North American release was Oct 6th, I don't know about PAL regions.

I haven't entirely figured out the PvP and Co-op systems yet, though I'm pretty sure they're linked to one player being in "body" form, in which I've spent about 5% of my gameplay time thus far. I'm pretty sure that, if you're wandering around as a soul (as I am 95% of the time), you can't entirely initiate co-op and people can't force you into PvP either.

Grinding is an option (and a necessity) to lighten the difficulty, but you cannot improve your character's stats until you complete the first dungeon. Doesn't sound too bad in theory, but it took me hours to get through what you could probably do in less than an hour if you got it in one try. There is a brief tutorial with some hand-holding, but then the game starts killing you repeatedly.

hmm, so if i play mainly in soul form i can avoid the PVP part huh? Well that is interesting. Also i suppose i could be summoned to help someone which could also be fun.

When you play it, do you often get invited by living people to help them in their level?

Well, I haven't tried the co-op yet; lemme splain the system to my understanding.

As a soul, you can leave a co-op marker in an area of your choosing (a little glowy thing that offers a context-sensitive action). Somebody who is in living form can then activate that marker and bring you along.

I haven't been dropping markers yet because I feel too noob and underlevel to be of much assistance. With my tendency for sudden death, it's hard to imagine surviving an entire level I'm unfamiliar with. That said, durability does go up drastically once you start leveling.

Well, I haven't tried the co-op yet; lemme splain the system to my understanding.

As a soul, you can leave a co-op marker in an area of your choosing (a little glowy thing that offers a context-sensitive action). Somebody who is in living form can then activate that marker and bring you along.

I haven't been dropping markers yet because I feel too noob and underlevel to be of much assistance. With my tendency for sudden death, it's hard to imagine surviving an entire level I'm unfamiliar with. That said, durability does go up drastically once you start leveling.

Ah i understand now, thank you for explaining.

I would understand not dropping the marker when you feel you aren't ready for it, when i get the game i probably won't drop it for a while until i am more used to the game so i am not more of a hindrance then a help for people.

I'm looking forward to trying it, especially since it's from the King's Field people. I actually enjoyed playing those games, which is weird since I youtubed it and I had totally forgotten that it looked

I'll probably rent it after the glut of games this year (maybe December?) and see how I like it. I'm not a huge fan of punitive difficulties nowadays; just want to have fun.

Matthew Rorie

Picked up the Asian version a couple of months back. Game is amazing. Easily best PS3 game.

Really satisfying action RPG combat mechanics. All the different weapon types and styles are a blast to try out. It's really a great dungeon crawler. With games like this, I don't see why real-time RPG combat drivel like Morrowind and Oblivion is even tolerated.

For co-op, dead players need to drop blue markers. Living players pick those up and summon the blue phantoms. Kill the boss = blue phantoms revive.

For PvP, you need to drop a black stone and invade someone in that area. You can only be invaded if you're alive.

I'll go into details as needed, but basically the online elements are made to complement a primarily singleplayer experience, and the game actually goes out of its way to make co-op gaming with friends as cumbersome and annoying as possible. I'm saying this as someone who's been exclusively playing co-op with Nick; it's a horrible co-op GAME; it's an awesome co-op EXPERIENCE. Once you get used to the hurdles, they're not that bad. Essentially, BECAUSE you can only play co-op when one of you is alive and the other dead, it's pretty limited. If the living player dies, the co-op session is over. To revive, you either have to 1) invade and kill another player; 2) help a living player kill a boss as a blue phantom; 3) use an extremely rare item that will revive you. While doing all of this, you're not having a co-op session with who you were meant to. In singleplayer - you die, you respawn and start again. In co-op, you die, session's over. The game may potentially be easier because it doesn't really scale, but it creates quite a different type of tension. Death is much more significant, and that makes it all the more awesome.

It's Atlus publishing. SCEA dropped the ball completely. PAL likely won't get it. It's region-free, so who cares.

Difficulty's overblown. Dying is learning. This is one of those games where player experience is much more important than character experience (which is important too, but without player experience, pointless).

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I plan to get it sometime in December when i actually have money to spend again. I need something really HC to be happy so this might just be it. Too bad i have to order it from half a world away :/

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Well I heard you die a lot in that game. I don't quite have patience for that **** anymore.

Then you should try Ninja gaiden sigma 2. It so easy now that anyone can finish it, even if they forget to block and dodge. o:)

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Well I heard you die a lot in that game. I don't quite have patience for that **** anymore.

Then how did you get through the early levels of Divinity 2?

Then you should try Ninja gaiden sigma 2. It so easy now that anyone can finish it, even if they forget to block and dodge. :p

No way, Onechanbara is the way to go.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I hear you. I recently bought a PS3 for a handful of games and the free multiplayer (think about it: if you paid for XBL gold for 6 years, you'd have spent enough money to get a PS3 and play online free of charge). That said, between just those two games you have a lot of actual gameplay hours (assuming you do some multiplayer in Uncharted 2).

Um, i thought that this game was "Japan-only". Has it been released in the PAL-regions? -_-

unfortunately Atlus never released anything in EU :(

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I've been checking the pawn shops for a PS3 lately, I really want to play this, And I hear Uncharted 2 is pretty good as well, There is only a couple PS3 exclusives that I'm really interested in and have a really hard time justifying buying a brand new console just for a couple games...

Well maybe you just have to be stupid like me :D I bough a slim only to play NGS2 team missions and try NGS1. Then i got Uncharted got hooked and preordered Uncharted 2 and spent the last few weeks playing the MP demo. I also got Valkyria Chronicles and i'll probably get Demon's souls sooner or later and all of this in 1 month. ( 550€ or something like that o.o) And i'm not regretting it one bit. I may be near broke for the next months but i'm sure not unhappy :(:lol:

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I've been checking the pawn shops for a PS3 lately, I really want to play this, And I hear Uncharted 2 is pretty good as well, There is only a couple PS3 exclusives that I'm really interested in and have a really hard time justifying buying a brand new console just for a couple games...

Well maybe you just have to be stupid like me :D I bough a slim only to play NGS2 team missions and try NGS1. Then i got Uncharted got hooked and preordered Uncharted 2 and spent the last few weeks playing the MP demo. I also got Valkyria Chronicles and i'll probably get Demon's souls sooner or later and all of this in 1 month. ( 550

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I've only played an hour of it, but Demon's Souls has the best action elements of any action RPG I've played. I'm not a huge fan of the camera, some of their controller conventions (what's up with precise aim?), and there's a bit of slop in the responsiveness, but it's a huge step in the right direction, IMO.

But yeah, pros only. Babies need not apply.