I had to share this

alanschu

I don't know if it's uncool to link to another forum, but this one just boggled my mind.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/sho...ad.php?t=384132

People here are complaining because Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising, does not have a CD Key, complaining that it will ruin the Multiplayer experience because of "hackers." Complaining of a lack of DRM?

Buh?

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone over there haha. Of course, these people also feel that the original Operation Flashpoint was an unrivaled success story in PC gaming... :(

Edited by alanschu

If it actually lacks anti-cheating stuff like punkbuster then there might be a problem.

The cd-key thing is pretty stupid, though.

I'll agree anti-cheat stuff could be an issue... But the lack of CD key?

Pirates = cheaters it seems. And people with valid CD keys never cheat... or something.

I doubt the game will be big enough to warrant a significant cheating culture for it anyway haha.

Make it middleware like the Havok physics stuff is, I'm sure most would rather pay a little more to save time and get a decent multiplayer instead of wasting time and resources on some crap that no one will play and that they will have to patch for the next 2 years.

I think Steamworks offers something like this, but hardly anyone is using it.

Edited by Purkake

im sure there is a fantastic middle ware solution for netcode just over the horizon. theres probably half a dozen companies working towards it right now.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Well, at last. It's been years since I've been able to use aimbot + wallhack in a game. And now I don't even have to pay for the game!

Seriously, though. Isn't PB something you can incorporate to servers at any time? It used to be that way, at least.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Hey, multiplayer Op Flashpoint rocks.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hah, I can think of more immediate complaints to make about multiplayer, like the inability to join a game in progress or some people losing their connection to the master server every 5 minutes.

There is actually a very good technical reason why you can't join a game in progress.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

People really need to make some sort of open source netcode thing. Everyone being forced to do their own usually leads to sucky multiplayer.

use's raknet.

http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/

Edited by Nightshape

Except the company that makes uber kickass netcode will want to profit off of it.

Plus, from what I can understand, generic netcode is a bit tricky. A lot of it depends on what is needed to transfer.

Net code is all message based.

I'll defer to your experience. I never did take networking in school.

What makes network code good vs. poor?

Well net code is just about sending the state of the game from the server to the clients, and updating that state, the problems are likely not related to anything more than a few messages being garbled and not handled quite elegantly enough.

The problem as far as I know with network code is it's extremely hard to debug, as it requires network traffic to be monitored, etc... It's also not easy to recreate real world conditions, but obviously companies try.

I'm sure these problems will be fixed, but network code is extremely challenging.

Oh but here's something funky, we have one of the network coders from Media Molecule working at our place now. random fact I wanted to share.