TV: SG:U

LadyCrimson

I'm not counting them entirely out...but as single-contained episode writing goes, that was sloppy.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The SG shows seem to have a big fanbase. Some prefer one version over another but still a lot of people. There's not a ton of regular sci-fi TV series - particularly possibly decent ones, let alone actual good ones - so doesn't seem too surprising to me. :(

I keep thinking sci-fi will become more mainstream (in TV) one day, but while it's better than it used to be, it's still not there. I guess they're often expensive to produce, too?

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, SG has always managed to have competent CGI on a TV budget, something that very few shows have done consistently.

Also, for better or for worse SGU has beat Dollhouse's ratings the first two weeks, not by a lot, but still.

Speaking of sci-fi, the V remake should start in the beginning of November.

Edited by Purkake

I keep thinking sci-fi will become more mainstream (in TV) one day, but while it's better than it used to be, it's still not there. I guess they're often expensive to produce, too?

Eh, Stargate SG-1 was about as mainstream as you could get.

Oh, no, I wasn't talking about whether a sci-fi show is "mainstream"...I meant where sci-fi in TV becomes mainstream in popularity/ratings enough so that networks (edit: both big and smaller cable networks) actually scramble to produce their own. Instead, networks are, and have been for years, generally obsessed with drama/crime, sitcoms, and now realityTV. :( Again, price probably has some to do with it, as well.

IIRC, SG started out as a Showtime original series...a network would never have touched it, especially back then.

Edited by LadyCrimson

^ I agree LadyCrimson. I think the TV networks see Sci-Fi appealing to the more cerebral end of the market eg. geeks, where Crime/Drama/Reality shows appeal to the mass market. I don't know how many times the networks here in Australia have put on a Sci-Fi show for a couple of months only to relegate it to a later time slot (11pm, 2am, etc) in favour of the more mainstream TV shows. :thumbsup:

I remember the first season of ST:TNG where the acting was pretty weak much of the time

Not to mention the show was just overall weak in everything in it's first season, particularly the first half. "The Last Outpost." *snicker*

Last weeks SG:U episode didn't thrill me. It wasn't bad, but all the desert wandering while bickering wasn't exactly interesting. A lot of time-filler, felt like.

I also didn't like how

those two (red shirt?) explorers went thru gate to another address and nothing was mentioned of them again. Sure, a character said "don't go, you'll die" or some such but it would have been nice if later they'd at least said "2 were lost" to tie it up.

The probe or whatever it is could be interesting, hope they expand on that soon.

I was kept wondering about those two as well.

I assumed that we would find out more about the fate of the two who went through in upcoming episodes. My guess would be that they are not just dropped for good.

I was also a little surprised that they actually shot the one guy as he tried to go through (I stil don't know any of the character names yet). Though they didn't kill him, that was still a bit of unexpected violence that was a tad more hardcore than I had expected from the show.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Agreed.

At the cliffhanger ending, I turned to my husband and made the obligatory Star Trek joke. He forgave me.

Good episode, I really liked the talking heads thing, hopefully there will be more of that. The earth stuff is still pretty lame, though.

It's pretty funny that instead of being super scared everyone is messing with all the weird Ancient tech, maybe they'll find an Ancient coffee machine next? Also, I like how they manage to add in some everyday life stuff like nicotine withdrawal and the mess hall scene, instead of the usual 45 minutes of "omg we're all gonna die!".

I thought this episode was pretty weak myself.

Not much actually happened, and the acting is pretty flat so a lot of the supposedly emotional drama feels pretty fake.

The gratuitous shower scene was disappointing. If that is all the writers can find to fill the running time, it doesn't bode well for the show.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Not a bad episode, but WAY too much manufactured drama. I saw the "solar power" thing coming a mile away, if they seriously thought that anyone would believe that the ship was going to get destroyed, they were seriously kidding themselves.

Still, some of nice scenes in this one.

Not a bad episode, but WAY too much manufactured drama. I saw the "solar power" thing coming a mile away, if they seriously thought that anyone would believe that the ship was going to get destroyed, they were seriously kidding themselves.

Yeah definitely knew they weren't going to die but I wasn't quite expecting the way in which the ship recharged its batteries. Also poor Eli. Kid can't catch a break because his girl is a good for nothing trollop.

And bit at the end with the captain and Rush was pretty good.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I like the show, but the overall feeling I'm getting so far is "GET ON WITH IT"

Also: sex scene between soldier and girl was dumb "I've felt closer to you than anyone in a long time" She's talked to him once!

Anyway, it feels more like Battlestar Galactica than Stargate.

Speaking of a change in style... does anyone else want to punch themselves in the crotch whenever Sanctuary has those stupid split screens this season?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I missed last weeks episode. I think I'm done with the show.

I like the show, but the overall feeling I'm getting so far is "GET ON WITH IT"

I'm the same. There was always an alien threat with SG1 and SGA right from the start. They haven't encountered any aliens except for that whirlwind thing, if you could call it an alien. Now that they have full power, I expect them to do more than sit around waiting for planets to come by. Looking at the names of the episodes, they seem to have a lot of filler episodes. :ermm:

According to spoilers there will be evil aliens by the end of the series, the leader of which is played by none other than Rhonda Mitra. I guess V won't be the only sci-fi show with evil hot aliens :ermm:

I don't have anything against them messing around with the ship, the "evil aliens" have been pretty sad/hilarious more than scary most of the time on Stargate. The environment has been the immediate danger much more often than actual foes.

The point of it wasn't for the audience to believe the main ship was to be destroyed but if the shuttle crew would make it back before the ship went into FTL. Do you need everything explained to you? :-

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."