TV: SG:U

LadyCrimson

The "villain" has already been shown. Haven't you been watching?

Hmm. I must have missed the villianry. Who?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That was certainly different, but I liked it. They really overdid the drama part with all the music and shots of almost dying people, but I really liked that they used some actual science instead of the worn out technobabble and everything falling apart with people running off was pretty realistic.

From what I've heard there will be

some actual space alien villains somewhere along the way.

Edited by Purkake

Who says it is a he or a she? If you have paid attention you would already know. There is three types of antagonists. There is the Adversarial Opponent, a person or group of people that is against the Protagonist. There is the Opponent Within, which the Protagonist deals with his inner demons. Lastly there is the Opponent Without, which the antagonist is the environment which the Protagonist finds him or herself in. Tell me which one applies to SG:U at this time?

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Ooh, I know, I know, is it the environment one?

Will I get extra credit for this?

You get a gold star for the day.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/20...ll.78470401.jpg

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I don't know if I would refer to the emviornment as a villain. I was referring more to someone acting out of purposeful malice. WHich it is refreshing to not have at the moment. There appear to be opposing agendas at work however among the major players.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't know if I would refer to the emviornment as a villain. I was referring more to someone acting out of purposeful malice. WHich it is refreshing to not have at the moment. There appear to be opposing agendas at work however among the major players.

That is a very limited view. The Antagonist is whatever opposes the Protagonist and his or her goals. One can be an Antagonist within a story without having malice.

That is a very limited view. The Antagonist is whatever opposes the Protagonist and his or her goals. One can be an Antagonist within a story without having malice.

Quite. However, you'll notice that I have specifically used the word villain (repeatedly) and not antagonist.

I too read Jack London books growing up, so the nature as antagonist thing did not slip by me unnoticed. :blink:

I wonder what the deal was with the probe-thingy that detached from the ship at the very end.

Looks like new aliens with advanced technology to be able to hitch a ride without setting off any sensors.

Or one of the Destiny's probes. Hard to tell. It had a shield active.

Also, why does everyone think Robert Carlyle is so good? Stargate has had a lot better actors in both Atlantis and SG-1.

atm, I wouldn't consider acting a strong point for the show. It's not cringe-inducing horrible or anything, but it often feels a little flat.

I wonder what the deal was with the probe-thingy that detached from the ship at the very end.

Looks like new aliens with advanced technology to be able to hitch a ride without setting off any sensors.

Or one of the Destiny's probes. Hard to tell. It had a shield active.

Also, why does everyone think Robert Carlyle is so good? Stargate has had a lot better actors in both Atlantis and SG-1.

Not sure if this is one of Destiny's probes. It was riding on the wing and took off. But interesting just the same.

sgu3.jpg

atm, I wouldn't consider acting a strong point for the show. It's not cringe-inducing horrible or anything, but it often feels a little flat.

Yeah I dunno if they should have gone for a cast entirely of unknowns. Could have poached some BSG people - as much as I didn't like that show the acting was good.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

There's always a chnace the acting will improve as the writers and actors both get a better sense of the characters and the show.

I remember the first season of ST:TNG where the acting was pretty weak much of the time (with the obvious exception of Patrick Stewart who is never weak) but eventually the acting really became pretty good and during the best seasons was for the most aprt as good as you can see on TV.

I remember the first season of ST:TNG where the acting was pretty weak much of the time

Not to mention the show was just overall weak in everything in it's first season, particularly the first half. "The Last Outpost." *snicker*

Last weeks SG:U episode didn't thrill me. It wasn't bad, but all the desert wandering while bickering wasn't exactly interesting. A lot of time-filler, felt like.

I also didn't like how

those two (red shirt?) explorers went thru gate to another address and nothing was mentioned of them again. Sure, a character said "don't go, you'll die" or some such but it would have been nice if later they'd at least said "2 were lost" to tie it up.

The probe or whatever it is could be interesting, hope they expand on that soon.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Last weeks SG:U episode didn't thrill me. It wasn't bad, but all the desert wandering while bickering wasn't exactly interesting. A lot of time-filler, felt like.

I also didn't like how

those two (red shirt?) explorers went thru gate to another address and nothing was mentioned of them again. Sure, a character said "don't go, you'll die" or some such but it would have been nice if later they'd at least said "2 were lost" to tie it up.

The writers could do quite a few things with them, I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Edited by Purkake