TV: SG:U

LadyCrimson

Going to watch it?

To be honest, I hadn't even heard of it until just now. The reviewer below (who wasn't a huge fanatic of SG:1) seems impressed, as well as a few others. I guess I shall check it out.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show-patro...this-world.html

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I saw something on tv about it and threw it on my weekly watching list. As long as you don't have to know anything about stargate I'll check it out.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Will check it out, but the

makes it look like a cheap knock-off, trying to appeal to the "hip" audience by having a bunch of younger no-name actors and shifting the focus from exploration to action/drama.

The new Jack O'neill-equivalent is especially unlikable IMO.

Edited by Purkake

Thanks for the trailer link. Except for the dweeby curly haired guy, it doesn't look that bad. Certainly no worse than ads for BG.

Robert Carlye isn't young or no-name, either. I'm hoping he'll lend the show some .. er.. class? gravity?

SG1 was a lot of fun, but the early episodes were giggle-worthy at times. What I don't get is why Sci-FI likes to debut new things on Friday nights....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not a guy, but the gal in the purple T looks kinda cute. I can't remember the Asian woman's name, but she's cute too, imo. The guys tho...not so much. The tall one on the right in the black T is ok, maybe better if not so posed. Lou was hot back in the day, but not as much now.

I kind of like the fact there's more guys than gals...(in terms of eyecandy value, haha) but I'm sure it won't stay that way. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson

Finished watching. Liked it more than I thought I would. The 'dweeby' guy, Eli, so far I like what he adds to the show...a sort of everyman who isn't the usual polished, Hollywood-ized sci-fi show character, if that makes sense. The human (as well as humor) foil? Definitely didn't feel like a show to attract just hip action-loving youth, and the set up makes it seem like exploration is going to be a focus. Not sure about the actor chemistry yet.

The premiere makes me think of a combo of Voyager and Stargate. I'll watch for a few weeks at least, see how it goes. :)

It'll be on hulu.com tomorrow if you missed it.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty decent, especially for a first episode. Sometimes it felt a bit like it was trying to channel BSG, but since BSG was mostly a pretty good show, that's not really a bad thing.

I liked the fact that there really wasn't any fighting for the bulk of the two hours, other than that little bit at the beginning, which seemed kind of out of place.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think SG1 suffered whenever effects were neccessary. All the spaceships looked silly. The carpenters could knock up an interior, but the 3d was painful to watch.

Same experience with Babylon 5 which was recommended to me. The time of pointy ears, rubber face masks, and homebrew 3d is simply past.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I think SG1 suffered whenever effects were neccessary. All the spaceships looked silly. The carpenters could knock up an interior, but the 3d was painful to watch.

Same experience with Babylon 5 which was recommended to me. The time of pointy ears, rubber face masks, and homebrew 3d is simply past.

Never watched Doctor Who?

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

The premiere was actually pretty good, much better than I expected. I like the premise, it gives them even more freedom than the previous shows, I just hope they they will actually utilize it instead of cooking up some horribly generic bad guys and eventually making caricatures out of them.

I don't know about the characters yet, they're not bad, but all the earth flashbacks were pretty painfully bad. The computer guy is way too stereotypical and the crazy black dude is weird. I love that they even dressed the Summer Glau-lookalike like River from Firefly.

SG1 and Atlantis were both good because of the characters and got increasingly bad as the good ones left, I hope the characters here pan out.

Edited by Purkake

Interesting start, though I think they went a bit overkill on the drama. Wanted to stab my eyes during the boo hoo scene. By the way...

Why didn't they just fly one of those eye drones and bump the hatch button? Nah, lets just sacrifice that actor who always plays a$$holes because that wouldn't be in any way obvious

Interesting start, though I think they went a bit overkill on the drama. Wanted to stab my eyes during the boo hoo scene. By the way...

Why didn't they just fly one of those eye drones and bump the hatch button? Nah, lets just sacrifice that actor who always plays a$$holes because that wouldn't be in any way obvious

Basically it was to

get rid of daddy dearest

, but for an in-universe reason, maybe the touch panel requires an actual finger to touch it like the iPhone touch screen?

Basically it was to

get rid of daddy dearest

, but for an in-universe reason, maybe the touch panel requires an actual finger to touch it like the iPhone touch screen?

I know, I just wish they would come up with an actual excuse for why no one even bothered to fly one of those drones into the switch or, heck, my first though was just toss something heavy at the console until it closed. All it would have taken was one line of dialogue saying they can't do it that way for such and such a reason.

The guy was dying anyway. Not much of a sacrifice really, since his outcome was going to be the same either way.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think it would have been more impressive had he been around for half a season or something. Killing off a character whose had a grand total of 5 minutes screen time is like killing off the red shirt who beams down with Kirk and Spock. It's hard to make it have much of an impact.