Dead Space

alanschu

Among the current crop of EA games available (including sports) I can get two. I am considering Dead Space (pretty much a guarantee to get NHL 10) so I was curious if Dead Space was a gooder?

Other options I am considering over it are Mirror's Edge, Mercenaries 2.

That's just of PC though. 360 games are options too...was thinking maybe Madden 10.

Among the current crop of EA games available (including sports) I can get two. I am considering Dead Space (pretty much a guarantee to get NHL 10) so I was curious if Dead Space was a gooder?

That's just of PC though. 360 games are options too...was thinking maybe Madden 10.

I enjoyed Dead Space, quite a few puzzles and lots of key cards, if you like survival horror you should enjoy it. If your getting a two for one sale, I suggest getting the more expensive/later release one though(that's what I do) and pick up Dead Space later.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Depends on what you expect of the game.

It isn't really "horror", since it relies for 80% of the game on startle effects. The nastis (re)spawns in impossible locations and jumps at you yelling "Boo!". I didn't like that part of it. Once you've played it a while, you can predict where the nasty is going to spawn (usually somewhere slightly behind you, in the places you've already checked, trying to create an artificial feel of "frenzy" because your turn ratio is very slow).

That was the most negative aspect of the game.

It scores big time (in my book) when it comes to immersion and atmosphere. Apart from the wildly unrealistic "shoppe" system, it felt like you were exploring this huge abandoned ship, trying to piece together what happened while staying alive at the same time. Some nice turns and twists too. I got it on a sale for half price in EB Games, so I definitely felt I got my moneys worth. Even if I ended up buying an xbox360 controller to finish the darn thing :thumbsup:

Edit to add: The power up system and choice of weapons was quite nice too. I am considering getting a "trainer" for the game so I can play through it more casually and try out some of the other weapons that I didn't focus on.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's an enjoyable game, with some good art direction plus fun and somewhat original gameplay. I mean, it's no System Shock 3, but I was honestly very surprised at how good it ended up being.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Dead Space was awesome. The dismemberment is a good twist on the average 3rd person shooter and the story is actually pretty alright too (especially is you look up the web-comics and stuff, they were pretty cool). There are enough weapons where you could justify a second playthrough, and the achievements (like one for only playing through with the Plasma Cutter) add some replayability too.

Dead Space is good. I found it scary, but several others here have said they didn't find it so.

That said, if I were going to pick between Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, I'd pick Mirror's Edge because I find it the more interesting game. It's shorter and easier than Dead Space though.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Dead Space is good, assuming a 3rd person System Shock/ Doom3 hybrid appeals and a relatively unresponsive (for PC, it's much like playing on a console, really) control scheme isn't a drawback. It's a game people tend to either love or hate- don't get if you hate advanced monster closets/ FEAR style railroading, though.

Dead Space was pretty good. I was interested in the story up until the last part of the game, where it began to get really ****.

If you're looking for tension in the game, play on a setting other than easy. It's one of those games where easy is easy, mainly because you're not nearly as hard-up for resources as you would be otherwise.

It's pretty good, although the levels get a bit copy paste after a while. They designed the aiming for console meaning that in order to achieve a satisfactory aim response on a mouse you have to jack up the sensitivity so high you will be doing circles around yourself every time you try to turn around. It's like mouse movement in the middle of the screen, where you would be aiming, is slowed down to a crawl to accommodate those handicapped with a controller.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Its pretty good game with a cool atmosphere. I enjoyed my playthrough. Its not truly scary as others have mentioned and later on, you save yourself a lot of trouble by dismembering any corpses you come upon, rendering them unable to spawn as undead monstrosities. It takes away the tension a little bit, but by then I had grown a little tired of the combat and just wanted to move on with the story.

The zero-gravity segments are pretty fun too.

Dead Space was one of the worst games I've played in recent years. I hated the controls, weapons, movement, linearity, forgetable characters and most of all the plot. Go there, do that... oh noes, something happend and you're back to square one.. and it happend in just about every level. Made me wish that ship would just explode or crash to the ground while I'm on board it.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I had a lot of fun with Mercenaries 2.. but that might just be me. It's a bit buggy.. and unpolished.. But on the upside, whenever you play, some unknown person can jump straight into your game and start killing stuff and blowing up buildings around you :( That always freaked me out.

If you get someone to play it cooperatively with, you're in for a blast. If the other person is a griefer, you're in for an adventure.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Dead Space is Resident Evil 4 with gameplay that isn't bloody awful and a few System Shock elements. It's worth a playthrough, especially at the current low price.

Mirror's Edge can be awesome, though. Get both.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I wasn't happy with Madden 10. They've abandoned the Be a Pro mode, it's really lackluster. The gameplay is still as good as usual, but it just seems like they cut back on a lot of the neat franchise options from the past. It pales in comparison to NHL 10, that's for sure.

It wasn't horrible, especially if you like over-the-shoulder style "survival horror" games, but don't go in expecting an awesome story, it's pretty boiler plate. My biggest complaint was that it was about twice as long as it should have been. The combat stuff was pretty unique and the weapons(and upgrade system) were also cool.

The Yahtzee review was pretty accurate IMO.

Get Mirror's Edge and Prince of Persia, both are flawed, but ultimately interesting and enjoyable games.

Edited by Purkake