Company of Heroes

Monte Carlo

I don't often play games online / multiplayer. However, I am so smitten with CoH that I was wondering if anybody here was up for a game? I'm really easy to beat, utterly rubbish at MP and honestly it'd be practice for you. Although I have been practicing a Goliath rush-tactics trick that might be fun in a 2000lbs of high explosive kinda way.

Send me a PM if you're game.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I don't often play games online / multiplayer. However, I am so smitten with CoH that I was wondering if anybody here was up for a game? I'm really easy to beat, utterly rubbish at MP and honestly it'd be practice for you. Although I have been practicing a Goliath rush-tactics trick that might be fun in a 2000lbs of high explosive kinda way.

Cheers

MC

I played it, it's not currently on my computer. The biggest thing about Mplayer is that you've gotta get pioneer/enginner squads (two or three) and send them out to take territory. Most maps will have obvious choke points that you should fortify to at least slow your opponent down.

Some strategies depend on the map, for example in Vire River Valley you're probably gonna blow the bridges as fast as you can and fortify the heck out of the ford with AT weapons, snipers, and a MG or two (along with pillboxes etc). Depending on how the fight goes, it usually ends either REALLY fast with one team managing to blitz the other team and cripple them within 10 minutes, or it'll turn into a protracted siege. If the latter occurs, probably your best bet is to hold ground. If you're allied you should build tanks and repair one of the bridges to sneak across while your teammate holds the ford. If you're axis Artillery is your bestest friend for this. Because the allied don't have a mobile arty unit (compared to your nebels and halftracks). If you've got somebody as defensive doctrine an 88 or two can be DEVESTATING to the allied lines as long as you have a scout that can sight for it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If you do decide to pick a defensive line and fortify for God's sake don't pick the midway point. Pick teh midpoint all teh way along, except for one flank pushing far into their territory.

I'd be up for a game. PM me.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wals, I'll be taking you up on that :grin:

I've taken my first foray into CoH online and it hasn't been too bad, although the grinders who lure noobs into their 'noob friendly' games only to ambush them and tear them up into tiny pieces of bog roll are a bit of a pain.

I've found that there are some pretty cool people out there who, like me, just like co-op versus the CPU. I still get a childish thrill dropping gliders everywhere though :sorcerer:

There are terrifyingliy pro CoH gamers out there, they invariably play as Germans and are able to build swarms of panzers in the blink of an eye. Avoid. Maybe the community isn't too feverish because the game has been out awhile, but I've been pleasantly surprised and was up into the wee small hours typing ACHTUNG PANZER!!! into the chat function.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Wals, I'll be taking you up on that :grin:

I've taken my first foray into CoH online and it hasn't been too bad, although the grinders who lure noobs into their 'noob friendly' games only to ambush them and tear them up into tiny pieces of bog roll are a bit of a pain.

I've found that there are some pretty cool people out there who, like me, just like co-op versus the CPU. I still get a childish thrill dropping gliders everywhere though :sorcerer:

There are terrifyingliy pro CoH gamers out there, they invariably play as Germans and are able to build swarms of panzers in the blink of an eye. Avoid. Maybe the community isn't too feverish because the game has been out awhile, but I've been pleasantly surprised and was up into the wee small hours typing ACHTUNG PANZER!!! into the chat function.

Cheers

MC

I do sometimes wonder about the n00b grinders. I mean what is the fething point?

I find playing against the regular wehrmacht AI turns rapidly into a sniper hunt. They get everywhere and the second they draw fire they run. I'm not sure if i love this or loathe it. It's a nightmare at times, but it also gives me an excuse to level every single stick of cover in front of my choke points.

BTW, am surprised you've not had NAT errors. What's your secret?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hmmm, have been playing a lot of online CoH.

As a complete online gaming noob, something has occured to me. I have a pretty standard broadband connection, and my last online gaming was NWN1 (which I found to be of average stability and extremely laggy)... and CoH is incredibly stable for me. A little bit of lag now and then and not one crash. Relic's servers must be made out of some amazing piece of alien metal or something.

What have other's found, who has the best online gaming servers / stability?

P.S. What CoH has taught me is that online gaming can be fun, albeit a bit hit and miss. It's also taught me that online RTS / wargames are gonna be my thing, not online RPG / MMORPG. Phew!

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hmmm, have been playing a lot of online CoH.

As a complete online gaming noob, something has occured to me. I have a pretty standard broadband connection, and my last online gaming was NWN1 (which I found to be of average stability and extremely laggy)... and CoH is incredibly stable for me. A little bit of lag now and then and not one crash. Relic's servers must be made out of some amazing piece of alien metal or something.

What have other's found, who has the best online gaming servers / stability?

P.S. What CoH has taught me is that online gaming can be fun, albeit a bit hit and miss. It's also taught me that online RTS / wargames are gonna be my thing, not online RPG / MMORPG. Phew!

Cheers

MC

Relic has spent a LOT of time to get their servers stable like that with Dawn of War and Company of Heroes communities. But in general Battle.net is the paragon that everyone is trying to reach.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I never play RTS's online, so I'm no help there, but it's worth noting (if it hasn't been noted already) that COH is 5 bucks on Direct 2 Drive this week. Sweet deal.

I also got Supreme Commander gold. 2.50 for Forged Alliance is well worth the money. I'm super looking forward to SupCom 2.

Matthew Rorie

Cheers

MC

I don't mean to dredge this up but it really caught my interest. I found this while I was looking for threads on New Vegas. I love COH. Its the only game I really play any more. I'd definitely be up for a game man, my username is: Testprofile001 Look forward to playing a game with ya.

I never play RTS's online, so I'm no help there, but it's worth noting (if it hasn't been noted already) that COH is 5 bucks on Direct 2 Drive this week. Sweet deal.

I also got Supreme Commander gold. 2.50 for Forged Alliance is well worth the money. I'm super looking forward to SupCom 2.

:)

Most of D2D specials are not availble outside US/Canada, it killed me because Dark Athena is $5 bucks.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Cheers

MC

I don't mean to dredge this up but it really caught my interest. I found this while I was looking for threads on New Vegas. I love COH. Its the only game I really play any more. I'd definitely be up for a game man, my username is: Testprofile001 Look forward to playing a game with ya.

I'm on two or three evenings a week for an hour here and an hour there so I'll keep an eye out.

sonsofgygax.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Am still putting in the hours and getting my ass kicked, like all truly brilliant games CoH has the ability to delight and DRIVE YOU MAD with equal measure... the design loopholes are the stuff of munchkin fantasy (engineer spam, arty spam, AT infantry blobs, panzer rush...).

Am getting slowly more adept at playing, c'mon there must be a few Obsidianites here who are up for a game?

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm stilll in a radge with THQ because they are completely ignoring the pleas of large number of Euroweenies like myself over the NAT negotiation failure. It's pretty clear that it's a failing in the way Relic handle their processing of IPs but some chowderhead at THQ must have blocked the feedback because they just blankly state it's a router failing when the community now says otherwise.

Until they do fix it I can't buy any of their bloody games, which means so far they've lost out 100 bucks.

Goddamn I hate bad customer service.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

The other night a had a three hour slug-out with a 'noob' (my arse, he was a seasoned prop with an alt.account trying to get a few easy wins), I was Wehrmacht he was American (utilizing the mandatory Ranger Blob AT tactic). It was a great game, on one of the waterlogged Netherlands battle maps and we fought to-and-fro, neither side delivering the decisive blow.

Eventually, after arty duels, melee assaults and tank battles my Kampfgruppe of a Tiger, three panthers, a StuG and a Mark IV rumbled down the road accompanied by Knight's Cross infantry... Gottadammerung awaited...

... and the MoFo dropped, Relic arbitrated and I lost.

Like I say, love and hate bundled up in a perfect gem.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ Sadly not, Bastogne would be awesome.

CoH turns on the campaign in NW Europe, broadly speaking D-Day until the capture of Antwerp (including Arnhem).

CoH2 should be the Ardennes or an Eastern Front game, although rumour has it that it will be Korea (an indication of where the next big gaming market is seen by Relic). Korea is sorta neglected by mainstream military history buffs, shame because it's extremely interesting and chock full of legendary battles. I wonder how the CoH engine will cope with the resource implications of Chinese human wave infantry assaults but we shall see, historical accuracy isn't really what CoH is about. It's about blowing up tiny models of all the WW2 vehicles you used to make models of when you were a kid.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

LOL Kids these days don't make models. :(

T***s

I'm having a massive problem at the moment with ranger blobs. To the uninitiated this means several units of rangers. Now the basic rule of these things, as you probably already know is that every unit has something it can't kill and something which can chew it up. But here's the comedy side-splitting gag about rangers: There's NOTHING they can't kill, and NOTHING which can kill them. Not even in combination. They move bloody fast, they're a big squad, they have good anti-tank and excellent anti-infantry. Also, they cannot be suppressed. Their one vulnerability is artillery, but the AI never keeps them still long enough to hit.

I thought this was interesting as an example of an out of control unit. Essentially as soon as the AI uses them that's it, end exercise.

-Elwood Blues

Hmmm, can you put rangers in Kangas for the ultimate spam?

The only thing I've found that screws up ranger blobs is decent infantry to draw their fire backed up by two or three flakpanzers... OK you will lose at least one of those but you will drive the blob off, even AI ones.

I am guilty of using ranger blobs. Although I am too busy with Dragon Age, I will see you on the battlefield soon Wals. Oh yes, I shall.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I seem to have no problems having my own ranger units being eradicated!

They can be pinned down, you just have to fight through their special ability.

I haven't tried MP though. I just (finally) installed this game. Playing through SP.

Edited by alanschu