polanski

Gromnir

My understanding of bail is that it's a deposit. Wouldn't he just get the money back when he shows up to court?

Yes, that's how bail works.

The implication, however, was that he would skip country/whatever and leave them the money because he is a rich bastard.

• 7 months later...
Swiss reject US extradition request for Polanski

Jul 12, 8:07 AM (ET)

By BRADLEY S. KLAPPER and FRANK JORDANS

BERN, Switzerland (AP) - The Swiss government has rejected a U.S. extradition request for Roman Polanski on a charge of having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl.

The Justice Ministry said Monday in a statement that national interests were taken into consideration in the decision, and that Polanski was now a free man.

Stay classy Sweden.

Swiss reject US extradition request for Polanski

Jul 12, 8:07 AM (ET)

By BRADLEY S. KLAPPER and FRANK JORDANS

BERN, Switzerland (AP) - The Swiss government has rejected a U.S. extradition request for Roman Polanski on a charge of having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl.

The Justice Ministry said Monday in a statement that national interests were taken into consideration in the decision, and that Polanski was now a free man.

Stay classy Sweden.

I just have to reply to this before you ninja edit it, to save your stupidity and ignorance for all to see.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You just insulted all the Switzerlandians in Sweden.

:lol: That I did.

Stay classy Switzerland.

And mkreku, I could still easily edit everything and never leave a trace that I edited it but Ill allow you your little victory. Still mad that your girl has man hands?

That's moderator material, right here.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Nah, if the guy would've been a rather unknown hamas-supporting, muslim cleric called muhammed, the Swiss would've sent him to the US faster than you can say "Dallas" backwards. They simply like Polanski as the film director.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think it's a tremendous day for art. Because what this says is that it's okay to rape an underage girl up the wazoo provided you make a few movies later. This should do wonders for film making classes worldwide as they get packed out with reieved looking pederasts.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I thought you Europeans were past all that staff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Mitterrand

Never heard of the guy before you posted it. Ask the french instead.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I thought you Europeans were past all that staff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Mitterrand

Never heard of the guy before you posted it. Ask the french instead.

He also clarified that his relations were not with children, unlike Polanski.

Yes, his excuse was ever so believable. Of course no one knows what a "young boy" means, or what really goes on in Bangkok brothels.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm probably alone, but am willing to cut Polanski a lot of slack. Anyone would be pretty ****ed up by what happened to him (or his wife, to be specific) and he was never proven guilty (he plea bargained to some bs charge, but the judge bypassed the bargain part and stuck with the plea). So there's some "variables" in this case that make even an ex-prosecutor like me kind of uneasy about the whole thing.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

He wasn't given a fair trial in the first place. As bad as having sex with a 14-year old is, it's not pedophilia, I doubt it was rape and he'd still naturally deserve a fair trial. He didn't get it, so I'd say him fleeing was understandable, if not excusable.

As bad as having sex with a 14-year old is, it's not pedophilia, I doubt it was rape

The victim was 13 and given champagne and quaaludes prior to Polanski's sexual activities; I'm personally not comfortable not calling that rape.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As bad as having sex with a 14-year old is, it's not pedophilia, I doubt it was rape

The victim was 13 and given champagne and quaaludes prior to Polanski's sexual activities; I'm personally not comfortable not calling that rape.

Well, the way I understand it the girl was brought there to have sex with Polanski, by her mother no less. It's all kinds of wrong, hell it's in a way worse than regular rape (altho measuring that is hard), but Polanski might have not been sentenced for rape without being cheated into confessing. Just sayin', the trial wasn't fair by any meaning of the word.

There's been a lot said about the mother and Polanski; according to the girls testimony though Polanski asked her and her mom if it was okay for Polanski to use her as a model for Polanski's photography; later they arranged a time for him to do so where the incident in question happened.

"Cheating into confessing"? He plea bargained to a lesser charge. Whether he did this simply to avoid jail time as he claims, there's no indication that his plea was coerced; the problem from Polanski's perspective has always been the sentencing (this was in fact what the Swiss court wanted to investigate and when they didn't get records from the US Justice Dept they let him go; Polanski claims that his original sentence was to 90 days psychiatric evaluation; he didn't serve all of it at which point the judge suggested that having him serve the rest of the time in jail and an agreement that Polanski would leave the country as opposed to transferring the evaluation time to time served on his sentence along with some probation time. Instead of attending the final sentencing, Polanski fled the country).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It can't really be argued IMO that he wouldn't have plead guilty if he'd known what sentence he'd have gotten because we actually don't know what sentence he'd have gotten, since he never got his final sentence. He fled the country rather than face that.

Just because the judge mentioned that something was possible doesn't mean that it would have actually happened (and arguably he'd have had ground to appeal, depending on what had been brokered in the deal).