Dream question

Walsingham

I had a dream last night, and it's pretty hazy. But I got asked a question, as a question which I was to remember and find an answer to.

"Does the sword hate the smith, or does the sword love the smith?"

I just realised I should ask more opinions on this.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Neither? Except if it's living metal, in which case it depends on how you treat it.

:) I'm assuming it was a metaphysical question. I'm going to have words with my subconscious if it comes to teh same thing as "Is a lump of coal a rainbow?" "No."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, lump of metal is just lump of metal, but if you shape it as a sword then you have given it a meaning... I think.

So, sword does love the smith, I guess.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I had a dream last night, and it's pretty hazy. But I got asked a question, as a question which I was to remember and find an answer to.

The sword loves the sheath.

Edited by Krezack

Well, lump of metal is just lump of metal, but if you shape it as a sword then you have given it a meaning... I think.

So, sword does love the smith, I guess.

Presumably the smith loves the sword, but does the sword love the smith? If you think about it from the sword's perspective, then it began as lumps of iron and only got made into a sword because of the smith. the smith makes it what it is, but the process is 'painful', the smith probably 'corrupts' the sword with charcoal and whatnot to make it a better sword.

I do get what you mean about the sword loving the sheath. :) But then if we take that as a fixed truth, which it probably is, then it wouldn't if it were still iron. Does this mean the sword is obliged to love the smith as well?

-Elwood Blues

If the sword understands that it is a sword, and what it means to be a sword, how could it possibly love the smith?

How do you mean?

-Elwood Blues

What is the nature of a sword, that it should feel any love towards its creator?
I actually agree with this. Becoming a sword is a process that's violent yet cold, cruel yet methodical. But that is only the beginning, isn't it? A sword's expected life and intended task is much worse, without guarantees of a happy ending or just reward. The necessary agent of the irrational natural order of things:

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

There is a PnP RPG that has living metal in it (I was referring to them in my first post, not the Wall-E type things), and they don't really care. They don't feel pain, so the forging doesn't hurt them, and since the smiths can only make that out of the metal which it wants to become (a sword in our case), it'll even be happy and easier to forge. Apart from that they don't care for what they are used, but the wielder needs to be respectful towards them, or they'll get her killed.

I'm beiginning to wonder what my subconscious is tying to tell me. Am I the sword, in which case am I doing well or badly. Is there someone I should love or hate? Is the point that a sword can do neither. In which case is that a good thing or a bad thing? Or am I the smith, in which case, what is the sword?

-Elwood Blues

When I was 7 I had a dream about our window exploding in my face because of an earthquake, then falling out of said window as the (IRL 5) can't-see-the-bottom-high building collapsed. A ~year later I fell down from the top of a Himalaya high iceberg. Last year I lived with a very nice woman who incubated face-hugging aliens in me every evening (the "next day" I woke up feeling as if it was a dream, but knew it to be true, dunno how I survived), tried escaping several times, each one ending with me being tied to a column, forced to watch the alien eggs till nighttime. And I haven't seen any Alien films for years.

So what is MY subconscious trying to tell me?

The sword has to love the smith, because without the smith, the sword wouldn't exist.

While the creation of the sword may be a hot, hammer smashy affair, its not a sword until the smith is done with it.

I never seem to have philosophical debates in my dreams. I did dream last night that me and two other people were being chased by a shark that swam through the air (like it was water) and which only we could see though. I managed to free one of my compatriots who'd been captured by the shark (it was laying across the top of a giant cup he'd gotten trapped in) by making it chase me through a crowded high school.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm beiginning to wonder what my subconscious is tying to tell me. Am I the sword, in which case am I doing well or badly. Is there someone I should love or hate? Is the point that a sword can do neither. In which case is that a good thing or a bad thing? Or am I the smith, in which case, what is the sword?

Obviously your subconscious is telling you something, but not necessarily something about yourself. The thing about your sentence is that it can easily refer to quite a lot of different scenarios, as such I think it is more productive to focus on the message rather than the specific situation it is referring to.

Boiled down I interpret it as simply asking whether or not we love (accept?) someone who changes us (or exerts an influence on us). Like; "Does the son love the father?" etc.

Fortune favors the bald.

Or am I the smith, in which case, what is the sword?

****?

I don't need my subconscious to tell me that. Perfect strangers helpfully point it out when I try to buy a loaf of bread.

-Elwood Blues

oh btw if you really want to analyse this to death you need to brainstorm on the words. What does Sword mean to you, what does Smith mean to you etc etc. After that you connect the various words you've associated and see if you get some meaning.. it's usually quite interesting, but obviously as fallible as looking at a person through a mosaic window and trying determine exactly what they look like.

Fortune favors the bald.

I thought I'd add an interesting parallel to the Bible, as if I had this dream I would assume it spoke about my faith.

In this passage we have Paul rebutting people who blame God for making them one way or another.

You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?" But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory
Edited by Blank