Nullus can insisto?

I understand the first and last words but "can" is a bit confusing as I cannot recall what it means in Latin nor do any of my dictionaries have it listed. Are you sure it was not "an" - as that would make much more sense, or at least I think it would, and come out, roughly, to "None Preserver?" Although if it were "an" it would be a conjunctive and so the statement/question would expect a negative answer. I wish I had more context though, because, while nullus is quite easy to translate, insisto has some other meanings that might drastically alter the sentence. Now remember that I'm a bit rusty so this might not be correct - but that's what I'm getting at the moment. :)

P.S.

It could be that it was meant as "Can none persevere?" and the "can" was added - but that would be a bit odd. :wub:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Where are Eldars alts when you need them? :disguise:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hrmm it might be pigdin. School is a bit of blur for me but I don't think 'can' could be Latin, and insisto doesn't look very Latin to me either.

nullus -a -um [no , none, not any; nonexistent, ruined]; 'nullo modo, nullo pacto', [by no means]; as a strong negative, [not at all]; as subst., esp. genit. and abl., [no one].

insisto -sistere -stiti (1) [to set foot on , tread on; to enter on] a journey, road, etc.; [to set about] a task; with dat., [to follow hard upon, pursue]. (2) [to stand still in or on; to halt, stop, pause; to hesitate, doubt; to dwell upon a subject; to persist in a course].

Can :disguise:

Maybe it is something like Gandalfs "You shall not pass"?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Insisto is also first person, meaning "I set foot on."

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I suppose 'can' could also be intended as 'canis' (dog), though how that would fit in context...

Well, Insisto is present tense, 1st person. And "non" would be the correct word for that terminology.

I think that might be reading a bit too much into it- the motto isn't 'proper' latin as 'can' doesn't exist in latin, so making an assignation of tense or person based on proper latin construction is a bit... tenuous, even if correct linguistically. It might even be meant as a noun (~journey) rather than a verb. It would be helpful if we knew what the first word(s) in the motto are.

I suspect the motto is intended as something similar to Terry Pratchett's latin mottos (nil illigitimo carborundum, non temeris messor, candela est ars enixa, etcetera) ie not 'properly' latinate but a bit of a "don't fear the reaper", haha, type thing.

I remember the ruckus caused by the "in case of fire: **** a duck" sign in a russian building. At least that was fun. I don't like Latin sentences that don't make sense. In fact, I also tried translating it but in the end I wasn't sure about what it meant anyway. I assumed that was because of my sucky latin skills but apparently not.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Best translation I got is: "Where none can follow"

Certainly is a bit of a stretch, though. "Insisto" means "I follow."

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Maybe it just is "made up" latin for I follow no one or something.