Woman makes national news by complaining library wouldn't lend her scissors

Walsingham

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8276243.stm

I appear to be the only person who thinks that a library not lending scissors is more absurd than a dress maker not owning scissors in the first place!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ms Watts, from Islington, north London, said: "I asked why I couldn't borrow a pair of scissors and she said, 'they are sharp, you might stab me'.

"I then asked to borrow a guillotine to cut up my leaflets but she refused again - because she said I could hit her over the head with it!"

:lol:

Are library workers often the victims of attacks with office material?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Ms Watts, from Islington, north London, said: "I asked why I couldn't borrow a pair of scissors and she said, 'they are sharp, you might stab me'.

"I then asked to borrow a guillotine to cut up my leaflets but she refused again - because she said I could hit her over the head with it!"

:lol:

Are library workers often the victims of attacks with office material?

Thanks to 'care in the community' for people with paranoid schizophrenia etc public libraries are full of nutters. Handing out scissors MIGHT be dangerous. But someone who's job involves scissors as standard ought to have them.

The headline should read "Attention-seeking halfwit demands common object they ought to already have"

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm guessing there must be something more to this story. One librarian misunderstanding the rules is one then, but then she went to a bunch of other libraries and they also said no? I best she comes off as scary/crazy in person.

Also, Walsingham. A dress maker's shears are made to cut cloth. They tend to be heavy duty and it's important to keep them sharp. Most dressmakers I know wouldn't use them to cut paper.

My fist is also dangerous when it slams into your face, but I'm allowed to carry it around.

Krezack obviously need to be disarmed.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

My mom told me about this workman she had read about in the paper. He was in his work car, carrying a box cutter for work purposes, being pulled over by the police and cited for carrying an illegal weapon. He lost his job when he decided to contest the fine in court and got thrown in jail. He did nothing that all his colleagues don't still do every day. I guess the moral of the story is 'don't ever think you are right, and that that is enough'.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Also, Walsingham. A dress maker's shears are made to cut cloth. They tend to be heavy duty and it's important to keep them sharp. Most dressmakers I know wouldn't use them to cut paper.

Madame, like a dwarf in orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected.

-Elwood Blues

I'd be less worried about someone going stabby with the scissors and more worried they were planning on cutting something out of the books or magazines.

Although, in my experience, they usually just go up a few floors and tear it out anyhow.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If in need of scissors, my first choice would be to go into a store a buy a pair. The time it will take to convince people to lend me a pair is surely worth more than the two euros or whatever scissors are going to cost.

Nevertheless, stated reason for denying the loan is patently absurd and I have to side with the dressmaker on those grounds.

I'd be less worried about someone going stabby with the scissors and more worried they were planning on cutting something out of the books or magazines.

Although, in my experience, they usually just go up a few floors and tear it out anyhow.

Good point. Anyone remember that collector who went into the British library and defaced rare books so his own copies would be even rarer? What a douche.

-Elwood Blues

Good point. Anyone remember that collector who went into the British library and defaced rare books so his own copies would be even rarer? What a douche.

This guy?

The weird thing is his story reminds me a bit of William Hope Hodgson's Carnacki short-story, "The Find".

Mind you in my brief employ of a Library most people just seemed to cut pictures of the famous out of Rolling Stone.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Maybe she thought it was a library like in Buffy, and she was expecting to be attacked?

-Elwood Blues

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. Jaw=dropped.

I know what you mean. Rich bloke, too. It's not like he needed them to be worth more.

-Elwood Blues

I know what you mean. Rich bloke, too. It's not like he needed them to be worth more.

Hmm, a rich person doing something needless and destructive to make himself slightly richer? Surely this is an unheard of phenomena. *nods sagely*

Edited by lord of flies

Hmm, a rich person doing something needless and destructive to make himself slightly richer? Surely this is an unheard of phenomena. *nods sagely*

You are a one trick pony aren't you?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'd say he was a multi-talented mule.

-Elwood Blues