Video card problem

Monte Carlo

My computer (OS is Vista), runs two NVidia GeForce 9800GX2 cards.

I'm having problems with them which I'm convinced is down to the drivers. When I try to update them via Windows device manager they crash, or only one works. When I try to update them manually via the drivers from Nvidia they crash. When I uninstall them both and reinstall via the original dish only one works.

It's driving me crazy, hey at least the blue screen crashes have stopped, now it's just a black screen freeze with a flashing white cursor in the top left hand corner. Strange thing, though, sometimes in device manager they are Geforce and sometimes they are shown as 'GF.' Hmmm. Thing is, I can't get them both working at the same time.

Any ideas?

Help appreciated!

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

So.. have they ever worked? In case not, are you sure it's a SLI motherboard? Is the SLI what-ever option enabled on the motherboard or BIOS? Is the SLI what-ever cable firmly attached? Have you tried them both separately in single mode?

(Signatures: disabled) 

They both worked fine before, then I started getting bluescreen crashes when I tried to update drivers, it might be an SLI problem but I'm afraid I haven't got a clue how to enable it.

When I uninstall and reinstall the lot via disc one doesn't update, which with my extremely basic knowledge does seem to involve SLI (which links the two cards, right?).

@ Morgoth. Me remove something from inside a computer? Whoah.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

It's easy, just open the case, pull out the power cable(s) from the card you want to remove and unscrew one or two little screws.

But if the BSOD's started when you fiddled with the drivers, then something is probably fubar with them. I suggest you do this:

1. Download Driver Sweeper

1. Uninstall the nvidia drivers via Add/Remove programs

2. Reboot and load windows to safe mode by pressing F8 during POST screen

3. Run Driver Sweeper and use it to remove the leftovers of nvidia graphics drivers

4. Reboot normally to windows and install the newest nvidia drivers

OK, I looked inside. There is a sinister, shiny black and green Nvidia case in there with no screws on. It's like HAL in there.

This is a custom-built machine I bought from Guys Who Know What They're Doing.

I, OTOH, don't, I might phone up their tech support on Monday. Although I'm comfortable troubleshooting software issues, I'll give Driver Sweeper a try, thanks for the tip.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Oh, so you are saying, that you basically can't answer any of my other questions, because you've only been troubleshooting them in software with no fiddling around inside the pc-case with your gfx on your motherboard only with fewer words? :lol:

Hm.. So maybe one or two of the gfx's has come loose from their sockets or the SLI cable has come off. Been moving around or kicking your case lately? Not really requiring any kind of special knowledge but you could try to open the case and 'push' the gfx cards 'gently' but 'firmly' into place. :lol:

So the tale continues..

^ Hey I think we are posting at the same time. See above, there is a anti-civilian case the cards are ensconced in. If I touch it I reckon a huge stone ball will chase me through my house with darts shooting at me and stuff.

1. A quick death, versus a slow agonizing no-pc death. I know what I'd pick. :lol:

2. Yeah, well, maybe, but how can that be any worse, than what you've already got?

3. Be a sport!!

Erm, oh well, no more games, calling tech-support in your case is probably the best. :lol:

I'd save yourself the hassle and just call the tech support. If they know what they are doing and are helpful, then you've got no problems.

I was running two Nvidia cards SLI. One went bad and it caused me all sorts of problems. I eventually had to take them out and start swapping things around to see where the problems were. In the end I replaced my two midrange Nvidia cards with one pretty high end ATI card. WHich I should have done in the first place.

Personally I think running 2 cards in place of 1 is a PITA and unless you have some obscure fetish for super high resolutions, I don't see the point.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.