Microsoft wants to buy.....EA?

Bos_hybrid

I think it'd be great if it would happen. PS3 would lose many game brands and ultimately EA might fade into oblivion.

And why do you find this great?

EA at least is commited to create new IP and maybe innovate here and there. If they get bought, they'll get degrated into a Halo whore.

Even worse, Bioware will end up making Halo RPGs exclusively for the Crapbox 360.

Nothing good could possibly come out of this.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I dunno, my antitrust antennas are peaking just at the thought. I preferred even the old rumor of Apple buying EA. :thumbsup:

They might be updating the guidelines in the US. That said, has the government ever turned its attentions to the video game industry in regards to anti-trust? What about movies or book publishing? Since the 1980s, the number of book publishers has shrunk dramatically.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

This is great! I can't wait for the day when Microsoft dominates the gaming industry! I can't wait to buy 2 hour games at full price and then have to pay for 5 extra pieces of DLC to just have the complete experience. I can't wait to get my GfWL subscription and choose between super offers like the starter pack (let's you boot up the game and play sp, but only for an hour at a time), home pack (for the home user who plays online sometimes as well, contains full sp functionality) and pro (for the gaming enthusiast with full on and offline functionality, and stat tracking, including the number of times you go to the toilet, pick your nose, and scratch your genitals during play sessions). I'm so happy! A bright new future awaits us! :thumbsup:

But seriously now, I hope this doesn't happen. Diversity is good, there should be as many game devs and publishers out there as possible. Having a few enormous companies controlling the whole industry doesn't sound that great.

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I keep hearing the same story since 1998. Never happened, never gonna happen...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I dunno, my antitrust antennas are peaking just at the thought. I preferred even the old rumor of Apple buying EA. >_<

That was my first impression, it probably wouldn't get approved.

Yes it would unfortunately; Microsoft doesn't operate in the games software industry (it used to a bit, but it has since largely cut and run - and even then it wasn't a big player).

For example: it'd be OK for Google to acquire an online store because that would diminish competition in the online store market, but it would not be OK for Google to acquire another search business (such as AOL) because that would directly lower competition in the search market.

Because a Microsoft acquisition of EA wouldn't visibly reduce competition in this manner, I imagine it'd pass smooth sailing.

What wouldn't pass is something like Activision-Blizzard buying EA.

Edit: Though I can certainly see it being sued for anti-trust issues if it suddenly made all EA games 360 only.

Edited by Krezack

I think the optimal situation is that Microsoft buys EA, and then gives Bioware compete and total control of it all.

Then ALL the plots and characters in every game would be the same, sweet! >_<

Bioware was sold, their fate is pretty much out of their hands now. I don't really think anyone would really want to mess with them though, as long as they keep making well-selling games, no one with any brains will go and change stuff around.

Edited by Purkake