Best game themes

Purkake

Some more Xenoblade

Snowy Valak Mountain / Night

Satorl, the Shimmering Marsh / Night

Happy someone else appreciates the Xenoblade soundtrack! Freaking amazing.

Xenoblade is an excellent game. If you like (some) MMORPG mechanics its also probably the best JRPG ever made. (Not for me. Its still excellent though)

It really is. Not my favorite JRPG ever, but it is one of my favorite JRPGs of this console generation. And I'm not even that far yet. Got the game day one, but have had limited time to play game these last months.

I have heard much praise about Xenoblade. Some has even said something about it being up there with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI in terms of greatness. What's your opinion?

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I have heard much praise about Xenoblade. Some has even said something about it being up there with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI in terms of greatness. What's your opinion?

My opinion so far is that is a great game. In fact, it is one of the best JRPGs this console generation. I only rate two JRPGs higher: Demon's Souls and Tales of vesperia.

It has great exploration, with big and beautiful enviroments, big cities with lots of inhabitants and there are lots of quests to do. Different quests are available at different times of the day (there is a day/night cycle). Music also changes during night and day wich is very cool. My favorite part of the game is believing I have visited everything in one are and then suddenly stumble uopn a new area that is twice as big.

The battle system is probably my least favorite part of the game. This doesn't mean much since I actually enjoy the system. I would probably compare it to FFXII or an MMO, but that's just me. You do have to be alert in fights, because they have this system that warns you about what a strong enemy might do in a near future, and you can then prepare for that attack with buffs, heals, etc. Some characters needs some strategy, like they need to be paralyzed, and then toppled to be damaged. There is lots of loot and you can also craft your own gems and put them in sockets for weapons and armor. You get AP to raise your skills.

Story so far is good, nothing amazing, but I would call it above average. The writing is ok, but I'm not a big fan of the Brittish vocie actors, they are ok, but I personally think they sound funny. I need to play more and get furter in the main quest to give further opinions on the main story. There is an affinity system for each person and area in the game. Help solving sidequests in an area and people will like you more, rasing your affinity. You can lose affinity depending on how you solve some quests. All NPCs also have affinity towards eachother that gets affected.

The character designs aren't really to my liking, but I do like the world design. It's really great, and makes me want to find new places.

Last but not least: The soundtrack. Amazing and one of my favorites of all time. It's uploaded on youtube if you are interested inlistening to a few of the tracks.

Would I rate it as high as FFVI and Chrono Trigger? i don't know yet, I need to beat the game first. So far it is great, but it isn't up there yet. If I end up liking it as much as FFVI and Chrono Trigger, I will be mighty impressed. (FFVI is my favorite game of all time. Chrono Trigger is also an amazing game that I love.)

Final Fantasy 8 might have been mostly crap, but its opening theme kicked all sorts of ass:

Another mention for the Chrono Cross theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-h-n43xOqg...6F0B604C703062C

Suikoden III: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_hCwrNcLs

War for Cybertron end theme:

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Final Fantasy 8 might have been mostly crap,"

Disagree. Highly underrated game.

" but its opening theme kicked all sorts of ass"

Agreed. Best opening sequence for a game ever.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The latter's a nice song to relax to (or be really morose to, I suppose).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not really a game theme...

and

Maybe we need a Best game voice acting thread some day o:)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Maybe we can set up an FTP so we can share the files easily that way.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Anything Vampire Bloodlines

Dragon Age theme is good

AGH!

Hi, DR.

Agree ''Isolated' is a great track.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 3 months later...

Haunting music from VtM. Nosferatu Warrens

I would stay there and listen to that music over and over.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester