Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The 5870 is here..

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
Crysis in 1080p still eats it for breakfast.

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts
How much did that set up back, mkreku?

An arm, a leg, perhaps the missus? In case of the latter, that's killing two birds with one stone, no?

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
I haven't gotten it yet, it's sold out for at least a month here in Sweden.

But it will render my orcs oh so pretty!

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15737 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
DO these things still use a PCI-E 16x slot? :]

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4238 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Space
Christ, I hope so.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts
Even a 8x slot will drop hardly any performance, it's in the single figure range in terms of percentage.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15737 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well I know I have the 16x slot. I was just curious if they'd move on.

My computer finally met its match with Call of Duty 4 (which is funny because I can play games that came after it with much better performance).

My computer is pretty old now. It's an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ with 2 GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon X1900 XTX.

The ability to upgrade my processor is pretty limited today, but a newer video card is perhaps not out of the question. Probably can't break $100. I saw a Sapphire 4550 for $60, an a 9500 GT for $65 after rebate.

My guess is that video cards are the biggest bottleneck for games at this time, but at the same time my CPU is pretty old by today's standards. Perhaps an upgrade there is in store, but that is certainly not in the cards at this time. I'll likely bide my time and maybe ask for a video card for Christmas or something.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6530 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
What's your monitor's resolution? In principle you should be able to play all games out now(except maybe Crysis) maxed with a cheap graphics card upgrade.

This would be the best choice for someone on a budget right now.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15737 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I still use a CRT, specifically to allow variable resolutions.

I'm generally content to play most games at 1024x768, though Call of Duty 4 had me drop down to 800x600 for some small gains in performance (AA and AF were already off for instance).

How important is the brand? The last card I bought was built by ATI hahaha.

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4238 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Space
TBH, they're both fine. Some people think ATI's drivers suck, but I wouldn't know.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6530 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm generally content to play most games at 1024x768, though Call of Duty 4 had me drop down to 800x600 for some small gains in performance (AA and AF were already off for instance).

The brand usually doesn't really matter. Just get whatever is the better deal.

Anyway, with the performance you are enjoying right now, you'd see a definite visual improvement if you bought the 4870.

Matthew Rorie

Matthew Rorie

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:millardkillmore

A lot of crazy tech people say to get XFX and stay away from Sapphire. At least, that's what I soaked up over on Hardforum.com recently. But in the end they're all based on the reference boards. The main difference usually lies in length of warranty and quality of customer support.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts
XFX's main selling point isn't the card itself (it's identical to any other manufacturer's), but what they call "double lifetime" warranty - that is, lifetime warranty for you, and transferrable should you decide to sell it (which means it has higher resale value than equivalent brands). North America only, so I've never been able to consider it a selling point personally.

Nothing wrong with Sapphire as far as I know, of all vendors they've been in the "red team" longer than any - in the old days, the ATi branded cards were actually made by Sapphire (and I suspect Alan's present card would be).

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000
Just read the comments of the buyers if you happen to be at Newegg. I went by their comments and reviews in MaximumPC before I buy any computer hardware.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15737 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

A lot of crazy tech people say to get XFX and stay away from Sapphire. At least, that's what I soaked up over on Hardforum.com recently. But in the end they're all based on the reference boards. The main difference usually lies in length of warranty and quality of customer support.

I had heard rumours about Sapphire cards way back before ATI was purchased by AMD. I tend to be an AMD (and to a lesser extent ATI) fanboy so that's likely the choice I will go with. This is likely going to be a pretty cheap card though, as I'm definitely not looking for something long term. I'm hoping that when I get my debt situation sorted out, and get more permanent employment, to do a wholesale upgrade of my computer.

It looks like pretty much anything is a large upgrade over what I have haha.

Edited by alanschu, 09 October 2009 - 11:55 PM.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6530 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
Unless you are going for the über high resolutions there really is no point in doing a big ass upgrade, apart from future proofing.

Really, a cheap graphics card upgrade could set you up for at least a year of maxed out gaming, probably more. You have a pretty good system.

Of course, you could always up your RAM to 4Gigs, as it would be a dirt cheap upgrade, but it's only really useful if you have a 64 bit OS.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm quite happy with my 4870. I can still play all games maxed out.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15737 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't have a 64 bit OS at the moment. But I am still on XP and not Vista, so that saves me some memory haha.

And yeah, I figure any upgrade now will tide me over until I am ready and able to properly upgrade.

The only concern is that the CPU is a bit old, but my impression is that it's the graphics cards today that are the biggest bottlenecks.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6530 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
Since the introduction of accelerated graphics, that video cards have almost always been bottleneck. Only with certain specific games is that not true. Your CPU is fine! :blink:

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts

That's kind of.. humorous to me. The last Nvidia card I bought was a Geforce 7900GS, made by XFX, and it sucked. Since then I've bought only ATI cards, all made by Sapphire, and the 4870 I am currently using (until I get my 5870 grr) was the best purchase I ever made.

I will go with Sapphire for my 5870 too, preferably the Vapor-X edition. It rocks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users