The 5870 is here..

mkreku

Anandtech review: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643

Hard OCP review: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/22/...deo_card_review

Hexus review: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=20289&page=1

Hot Hardware review: http://hothardware.com/Articles/AMD-ATI-Ra...bly-Number-One/

Tech Report review: http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/17618

General conclusion: It's the fastest single GPU solution available. But it's about the same performance as a GTX 295, so it's no revolution. Still, it'll be cheaper, cooler and less power hungry than the GTX 295, so for me it's an insta-buy. It also supports DirectX 11.. for no reason whatsoever.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I run my 4870 on the stock cooler and it's practically silent (except for like 30 seconds after I start up my computer and the video card does a "test drive" of the fan at max speed). I use an Antec P180 case though.

I will probably hold out for a month or so before buying the 5870. I checked the retailers here in Sweden and it's exactly TWICE the price of one 4890. I'll wait for it to come down from these "first batch" prices.

---

Edit: I checked again and it seems I have no choice anyhow. They're all sold out! All of them! Sick.

Edited by mkreku

Do they have built-in hardware physics acceleration like nvidia? I used to think that was rubbish, but Ive actually found it quite useful.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

No, PhysX does not work on ATI cards. Although PhysX acceleration using the GPU is really only possible when you have an SLI solution where one card is enough to run the graphics and you have another GPU to spare. Most games tend to be so resource intensive that offloading yet another task to them (in this case physics calculations) tends to drag down the graphic performance.

Or so I've read. :lol:

Hmm, that's a weird way of putting it. ATI supports OpenCL, which stands for Open Computing Language. This means that the GPU is supposed to be able to run code other than graphics, but that code has to be purposely built for the GPU. As far as I know, PhysX is not compatible.

That's not to say that it won't be further on. But right now I think Havok is closer to the OpenCL camp than PhysX is.

I'm happy enough with my GTX 260. Getting this card just seems like overkill.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm happy enough with my GTX 260. Getting this card just seems like overkill.
If you are not going to feel much of a difference because your current card is good enough to play new games, I don't see the point. There is always going to be newer and better.

There's only one motto when it comes to video cards: TOO MUCH IS NOT ENOUGH!!

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with the price they went for with this. The 4870 felt like such a bargain even when it arrived. The 5870.. hrmm, not so much. I guess this is what happens when you have a market leader out.

Do these support 4-way Cross-Fire?

There's only one motto when it comes to video cards: TOO MUCH IS NOT ENOUGH!!

Yup.

I'll have to see if one of these can fit in my case. But then I'll probably just wait until Nvidia announces their new stuff later this year and hope for a price war.

I'm planning on doing the same thing, but for a wholly different reason: I've always used Nvidia and always liked it. None of my my Nvidia cards have ever given me a problem, and I know a whole bunch of people who switched from an 8800 to a 4870, and absolutely hate it; they almost all say that the ATI cards give them far more problems than did the Nvidia ones?

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I'm sorry, did someone mention 4-way crossfire?

Do you want your computer to melt?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

That is so mine. I'll get that when I get Windows 7.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'm sorry, did someone mention 4-way crossfire?

Do you want your computer to melt?

I never siad I was gonna get it... I'm going Nvidia... But if the 300 series isn't up to snuff, I mihgt be forced to go to the dark side ATI... In which case I'm definitely going all the way...

GTX 380 FTW

Hell yeah. November's gonna be fun. :)

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS