Something new

Well, if it does release in October, it is looking like one of those quiet, get it out the door without saying a word releases that usually do not bode very well. Regardless, I think the fact that Sega is not even bothering to show the game at Tokyo Game Show starting on September 24th is a big enough red flag all by itself. However, like the rest of you, I am hoping for the best.

ahh.. the "best" i could hope for is they will secretly unleash new info on alpha protocol during TGS. like,"surprise! you thought we forgot about this game, huh?"

:lol: it could happen, right?!

but, at this point, im kinda hoping the game IS delayed. i have my eye on something that my $65 can go to. should be buying it around the time i expected AP to come out.

ahh.. the "best" i could hope for is they will secretly unleash new info on alpha protocol during TGS. like,"surprise! you thought we forgot about this game, huh?"

:lol: it could happen, right?!

Why talk about Alpha Protocol on TGS? Its not like the game is really aimed at that market.

As we've said before, there were never any plans to show Alpha Protocol at TGS, as I don't believe the game is even coming out in Japan. So no news there is not bad news, it's simply no news.

And yes, I believe the gentleman in the quotes works for SCEA (assuming this is legit). As for what he said, obviously we enjoy any feedback that we can get, but without knowing how much of the game he played (and I seriously doubt that someone as busy as a product evaluator for Sony is going to be playing through an entire game if it's as long as Alpha Protocol), it's hard to judge what he meant by those comments. Suffice to say that Alpha Protocol is going to tickle your RPG tastebuds when it's released.

Matthew Rorie

I don't know why you guys get so worked up over this. I've seen enough of the game to know that it's what I want and what I'll enjoy. I don't even watch any new trailers or read any new previews. My mind is already made up; any more and it would probably be more of a spoiler than anything.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I don't know why you guys get so worked up over this. I've seen enough of the game to know that it's what I want and what I'll enjoy. I don't even watch any new trailers or read any new previews. My mind is already made up; any more and it would probably be more of a spoiler than anything.

Er, the same reason people make release countdown threads for games with clearly-defined ship dates?

Quite agree on that note, I love every bit of what I have seen thus far. The only thing I am waiting to find out is when the game is actually going to release.

Count me as well in the committed to buy category.

The thing is, since I'm going to buy it whenever it comes out, when it comes out doesn't matter to me so long as its still coming out. The only effect would be if I have to delay spending a large amount of time with it or not based on non-gaming stuff.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As we've said before, there were never any plans to show Alpha Protocol at TGS, as I don't believe the game is even coming out in Japan. So no news there is not bad news, it's simply no news.

And yes, I believe the gentleman in the quotes works for SCEA. As for what he said, obviously we enjoy any feedback that we can get, but without knowing how much of the game he played (and I seriously doubt that someone as busy as a product evaluator for Sony is going to be playing through an entire game if it's as long as Alpha Protocol), it's hard to judge what he meant by those comments. Suffice to say that Alpha Protocol is going to tickle your RPG tastebuds when it's released.

Don't worry, we're the fanatic pack of Obsidian fanboys. We wouldn't doubt that they can make a good RPG.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

The only counter point I can offer you guys is that watching and interacting with gamers who played our game for almost two hours, they clearly enjoyed the RPG experience that AP had to offer. I'm not going to comment on this particular commentary, but I can say as a general trend, people who play one level don't see the RPG experience. They see the action side of our game, without the deep character choices and reactive story.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

Suffice to say that Alpha Protocol is going to tickle your RPG tastebuds when it's released.
We know that already, we're the rabid fanboys, remember? :)

Speak for yourself, I'm still the pessimistic fanboy.

I'm not sure that the two are mutually exclusive, but am too lazy to think about it.

@Joseph: Yeah, the previews linked 'till now never said anything like this, that's my personal reason for calling BS.

I'm feeling grumpy and pessimistic today, but from the previews it sounds like AP is too linear to feel much like an RPG. Seems like all your choices influence is who you buy your weapons from and which uniforms are on your side and which against you, all already done in KOTOR 2.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

And yes, I believe the gentleman in the quotes works for SCEA. As for what he said, obviously we enjoy any feedback that we can get, but without knowing how much of the game he played (and I seriously doubt that someone as busy as a product evaluator for Sony is going to be playing through an entire game if it's as long as Alpha Protocol), it's hard to judge what he meant by those comments. Suffice to say that Alpha Protocol is going to tickle your RPG tastebuds when it's released.

If he did only play through the first level, then that's sad. I think his other gripe could only be about the lack of exploration or party members, since everything else we've seen indicate that AP has significantly more depth to it than ME. Either way, he sounds like a douchebag.

Obsidian really needs to hook up with EA, they know how to market a game properly. AP just deserves more publicity.

Or Bethesda. :)

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm feeling grumpy and pessimistic today, but from the previews it sounds like AP is too linear to feel much like an RPG. Seems like all your choices influence is who you buy your weapons from and which uniforms are on your side and which against you, all already done in KOTOR 2.

That is definitely a pessimistic assessment. I think we've talked about the reactivity in the game more than almost any other feature, but I guess it's natural that some previews will focus on it more than others.

Suffice to say the choices that you make in this game are going to have broad consequences beyond the obvious small touches that you might imagine.

Matthew Rorie

Yeah, I can confirm that. Japan has no love for PC and occidental games, such a shame :o And the two together? Wow, that's hard to find. Good thing the country where Play Asia is based isn't too far :lol:

Linearity is not a requirement for an RPG.

Looking at BioWare games, their most successful PC game, Baldur's Gate 2, is quite linear, and the only thing non-linear about KOTOR was that you could choose which Star Forge planet you wanted to explore next.

NWN2 was pretty linear, as was MOTB.

And yes, I believe the gentleman in the quotes works for SCEA (assuming this is legit). As for what he said, obviously we enjoy any feedback that we can get, but without knowing how much of the game he played (and I seriously doubt that someone as busy as a product evaluator for Sony is going to be playing through an entire game if it's as long as Alpha Protocol), it's hard to judge what he meant by those comments. Suffice to say that Alpha Protocol is going to tickle your RPG tastebuds when it's released.

Bah. Fine. It better.