New hands on preview

Here is a new hands on preview from CVG. Sounds like they thought it was fairly solid, other than not being able to explore any of the locations beween missions. In their words, the mission structure is very "rigid" because of this.

Anyway, at least it's a new preview from someone that actually got to play the game and that is better than hearing nothing. Here you go-

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=223828

I think free-roam/sandbox is a concept that, while in theory ideal, is somewhat overrated. Unless there's something to do in it, exploring a huge area has lost its novelty for me. It also consumes substantial developer resources for a gameplay feature that doesn't directly improve character or story in any way.

I also note that they've axed the "leveling up makes your bullets stronger" mechanic, which I applaud.

best preview ive read.. thanks. & i agree with whats said above about free roam. i was actually hoping this game didnt have it, BUT, atleast feel a bit like Hitman missions where you also have your innocent bystanders. ---i shall now finish my reading.

I think free-roam/sandbox is a concept that, while in theory ideal, is somewhat overrated. Unless there's something to do in it, exploring a huge area has lost its novelty for me. It also consumes substantial developer resources for a gameplay feature that doesn't directly improve character or story in any way.

I also note that they've axed the "leveling up makes your bullets stronger" mechanic, which I applaud.

I quite agree. I think that the story, action, customization and the depth of c&c will be more than enough to carry this game. A very streamlined, yet deep design at the same time. In which sense, it has the makings of a very unique RPG (or ARPG, if you prefer).

This game now reminds me of Deus Ex.

Please be like Deus Ex.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Typically, you only get really early reviews (weeks before the release day) on titles that have a lot of hype surrounding them. Unfortunatly, AP really doesn't have that sort of hype right now :)

And hell, it hasn't even gone gold yet (or at least, there's been no announcement of it going gold).

This game now reminds me of Deus Ex.

Please be like Deus Ex.

Deus Ex had 'free roam' so apparently it will not be like Deus Ex. I'm actually surprised that it is missing this feature, or did CVG not describe it properly? I have never played an action RPG that didn't have at least some amount of exploration, that's a defining characteristic of the genre! Gameplay previews seem to describe an action game with light RPG elements like NOLF or BioShock while Obsidian videos seem to describe an RPG with action elements like Mass Effect. I'm confused as to just what to expect from Alpha Protocol.

Deus Ex's "freeroam" was almost an illusion. There really wasn't much to it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I was actually thinking the same thing. It was more a question of having a more leisurely pace in a series of linear missions.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well, I wouldn't call it freeform, but Deus Ex's level design was... what's the right word here? Wider? It gave you plenty of space and the choice of a frontal attack or a backdoor approach. Not to mention that it usually had side objectives. Again, not really freeform, but it's one of the things I loved about it the most. So here's hoping Alpha Protocol is built like that, wide.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Deus Ex was Deus Ex. It's a whole 'nother category.