Need help to complete an online transaction

ramza

So, I have found some guy on craiglist who sells a very specific Magic the gathering box set I have been looking for. The price is correct and there was a picture of the box with the cards which were placed on some bed (so, I guess that means that the ad was not a fake one).

Two issues:

1) From the moment I wrote to him to tell him I was interested, he deleted his ad on craiglist. Is that suspicious or not?

2) I wrote to him several times but he didn't reply to my emails until today. He offered to create a paypal account so that I could send the money and he told me I could trust him. Here's what he wrote:

"Sorry, i've been very busy. I still have these magic cards. What if I set up a PayPal account? Would you feel safe doing it that way? I'm not going to rip you off, I've still got to sleep at night you know. Let me know what you think would be best to complete the transaction."

What do you think? Can I trust him? Is paypal safe enough? Should I suggest him to sell me this through ebay or should I forget about the whole thing ans start looking elsewhere?

Any piece of advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ramza

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Paypal is safe enough, but you should give me your credit card info (don't forget the security code on the back!), and I'll let you know.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I wouldn't trust him. He sounds like one of them tomfoolerers.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I could always ask him to sell me this through ebay but there is indeed something wrong. I had sent him an email with various questions concerning the condition of the cards, if the box was 100% complete, etc and he didn't even bother answering these questions...

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Kinda reminds me of a danish uh, ebay'ish alike site, where I sort of bid on a CPU and the seller send me a note with his bank account and signed off with a different name, than that which were used for the seller account.. I mentioned that and never heard from him again.

You could check if he's got or had other offerings on ebay, if that's an option, to get a feel for his legitimacy.

So these Magic cards are they expensive or hard to come by?

I guess you could offer him to pay just for the delivery part of cash on delivery in advance, so that would leave him indemnified in case you regret and it would be less of a cost to you if it's really a fraud. If it is a fraud I assume that ebay got a form of complaint that will address the issue by banning him from making further transactions on ebay. The only real alternative is to not use ebay ever again I suppose.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Thanks for the suggestions!

First thing, by the looks of it, it seems he doesn't have an ebay account nor a paypal account.

Second thing, I can't make the transaction in person as the guy lives in Indianapolis and I live in Europe. I was about to ask him to send the box to a cousin of mine who lives in Boston and who will bring me the box when he comes back for Christmas.

I think I will skip this transaction. He basically asks 50 dollars for a beatdown box set + approximately 100 cards from other sets. The beatdown box set is difficult to find these days and it has very good cards overall. The picture he had posted depicted all the box' contents along with the cards which he had put on his bed. Everything seemed in order and genuine enough but there's something weird about his overall behavior. It takes him something like 4-5 days to answer me each time I write to him, he hasn't answered all of my questions yet and he removed his ad from craiglist the very day I first wrote to him.

To think I almost managed to get a brand new factory sealed set for 25 pounds on ebay.co.uk (shipping included)... I hate myself for hesitating so much, it was a real bargain...

I could always ask him to sell me this through ebay but there is indeed something wrong. I had sent him an email with various questions concerning the condition of the cards, if the box was 100% complete, etc and he didn't even bother answering these questions...

I dunno. That's a pretty ****ing specific scam. Putting up an obscure Magic box set and hoping some poor lad who badly wants it stumbles across your ad. I can think of easier ways to scam money. Especially since it;s a measly 50 quid.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a scam, just a lazy seller. Couldn't you do that escrow thing?

Edited by Krezack

Funnily, enough the ad still appears on google:

Magic The Gathering "Beatdown" box set and 250 cards

19 Aug 2009 ... I have for sale a Magic the Gathering "Beatdown" box set from 2000. It has been very gently used. Includes original packaging and sleeve, ...

indianapolis.craigslist.org/clt/1331852896.html

When you click on the link, it says the posting has expired. Does this mean he has removed it? The listing is recent enough and I don't know how long it takes to expire. The guy could be lazy afterall...

Well, it seems his listing genuinely expired as they last for 30 days so no worries here as it expired on the 19th of September.

Oh, and here I found the original post thanks to Google Cache:

I have for sale a Magic the Gathering "Beatdown" box set from 2000. It has been very gently used. Includes original packaging and sleeve, cards, dice, and books. These sell for $65-$100 online.

I also have about 250 other random cards. All colors. Not just a bunch of land. Creatures, walls, spells, etc. All gently used.

$50 takes it all.

Contact Jason via E-mail anytime.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

post-727-1253538986_thumb.jpg

post-727-1253538997_thumb.jpg

Edited by ramza

Why are you posting this?

Who cares?

o:)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Although there are scammers in plenty on craigslist, Ebay is no way the 'safe' bet. Ebay is a hotspot for scammers. They know how to set up a very legitimate account. They're pro's at it. But both places have information on how to spot a scam, you could check it out.

I've dealt with scams at both ends of the deal, as a buyer and as a seller and at both places. I take it the craigslist listing is not local to you? I actually sold an old electric typewriter to a sportswriter over in Indiana a couple years ago. Had to be sent close to 2000 miles. But I didn't send it until I had his money in the bank and he suggested waiting the 30 days for my own piece of mind that it was good. Not many buyers will do that. And you being the buyer could alert your bank what you're going to do maybe?

Chances are this is probably a legitimate seller. You can always check it with the craigslist forum folks though.

Whatever... I just wanted to have some feedback from other craigslist users. It's a good deal, it looks genuine but I don't know if I can trust the guy.

I won't be wasting any more of your time guys, thanks for the replies! I will figure out a solution on my own.

Why are you posting this?

Who cares?

:lol:

I meant the ad that he dug up from google cache. It's obviously sketchy going by what he already said, posting the ad doesn't really serve any purpose.

BTW: don't you call the seller in the States? It's pretty much the norm over here and it helps to see if it's a scam or not.

Edited by Purkake

I did that so you could see the ad with your own eyes and judge whether it's a scam or not. There are always small things in an ad that may reveal whether it's a fake or not: the description, the writing style, the pictures. In this case, everything seems to be in order, unless I have failed my perception skill check...

I did that so you could see the ad with your own eyes and judge whether it's a scam or not. There are always small things in an ad that may reveal whether it's a fake or not: the description, the writing style, the pictures. In this case, everything seems to be in order, unless I have failed my perception skill check...

I Know nothing of Magic cards and can't detect internet scams by the ads, sorry.

Why would he try to scam people with something that he doesn't know anything about, though?

Also, report him to some craigslist mod or whatever if he is a scammer.

I think I will skip this. The 200 extra cards sound tempting but there are always auctions popping up from time to time on ebay with reliable sellers with 100% positive ratings.

Sometimes it's also fun to take a step back and realize that you are paying real money for a silly card game.

Sometimes it's also fun to take a step back and realize that you are paying real money for a silly computer game.

It's ART, damn it!

Are card games art? :lol: