Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

Says the biased game developer... :lol:

DLC is all nice and good if it is actually extra content, like the Fallout ones. Having to pay $10 more to get all of the game at release is not all that nice. How about selling the game for $20 and then having each chapter cost an extra $10? Game developers would love to do it and you wouldn't really be paying more if it added up to $60, but would any of you like that kind of a system?

I'm not biased, I just realise that the games industry doesn't always work in the way the fans percieve, the DLC is probably something that it made sense to sort out.

That said, the EA factor makes me a little skeptical.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Supposedly, there is a character creation tool being released for Dragon Age on 13 October 2009. I am looking forward to it already!

Indeed:

On October 13th, they'll be making the character creation utility available for people to tinker with. Characters created with the utility can be used in the full game.

Last game I preordered was Alpha Protocol.

Ooops.

I hope preorders don't have a 1 year expiration date. :facepalm:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

...Shale, extra character (and probably under developed)....

There's no reason to believe that Shale is underdeveloped.

I'm very suprised if Shale reacts same way as rest of the party members to various events in main quest as well as in side quests. Shale will have his own little quest, but for me most important part of character development is how they react on different events or actions. It's possible that Bioware did put tons of new dialogue from other party members towards Shale but I doubt that.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I'm very suprised if Shale reacts same way as rest of the party members to various events in main quest as well as in side quests. Shale will have his own little quest, but for me most important part of character development is how they react on different events or actions. It's possible that Bioware did put tons of new dialogue from other party members towards Shale but I doubt that.

No. Shale was part of the game from the very beginning, in fact he was one of the first characters announced so in terms of story/writing/VO it's all there. They just didn't have time to put it in at the first release date, now that it was pushed back, they have been able to put him back into the game. However they've decided to use him as Free DLC, to try and stop second hand purchases.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

It seems DLC on day one isn't all the devs have worked on: Dragon Age: Journeys

I assume that has something to do with the new system that keeps track what people do in DA, but what the hell that video was :facepalm:

It's a dragon age Flash game based on turn style combat.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I don't consider the DLC angles a negative at all, some form of price point wrangling is in order. I am leaning to appreciating the games as a service model or some form of pay as you go, I don't know but there is plenty of room for improvement and different models.

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

I personally hate the idea, I don't have anything against DLC and I don't really get the zero day DLC fuss that's going on but I really don't want teaser NPC's in my games :rolleyes:

It's not that the idea isn't clever, it's pretty innovative but it leaves me with a distinctly MMO taste in my mouth, I enjoy the feeling I get when I load up a game I haven't played for a while and find people and things I somehow missed the first time around, it's just a personal thing I suppose but seeing DOWNLOAD NOW in the dialogue box will leave me a little bit cold.

Guest Slinky
What, by Odin's Beard, is "Dragon Age Journeys" when it's at home?

Am genuinely baffled and require enlightening.

Bioware has been working on some system that keeps record what people do in DA, as in what achievements they get and what decisions they make and so on. You can see some of that stuff in that site. I don't know more. And that strange video is apparantly a trailer for some flash game. Apparantly you can unlock some items in DA if you play it. As for Dragon Age Journeys, I really don't know is that the name of the flash game or what.

What, by Odin's Beard, is "Dragon Age Journeys" when it's at home?

Are you making some type of pun with the terms 'journeys' and 'home'?

It looks like you're just asking what Dragon Age Journeys is, but the phrase 'when it's at home' is throwing me. As I said on the previous page, it's a turn-based RPG you'll be able to play in your browser.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The only thing that *really* bugs me about the DLC is this idea that when new content is available, new NPC's will appear in the world, only when you talk to them you get a snippet of quest related dialogue and the option to buy the DLC... >_<

It would be hilarious if those NPCs would turn out to be the final boss, or the vaunted romance option. "If you want to go all cuddly, first buy this DLC!!"

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

:: sigh :: I'm not making any pun whatsoever.

"When 'X' is at home" is an English (as in the country, not the language) colloquial expression for when you don't know what / who something / someone is. For example, "Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? Who's he when he's at home?"

I apologise for using a colloquialism on an international forum, OTOH now you know a common English expression in case you ever visit.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've actually been extraordinarily enthusiastic about elements of DA recently. I do try to be fair (ish). None of this detracts from my genuine confusion as to what that website is all about and how it adds value to the game. It's a crappy beta site where you post stats about your game and endure what looks like the South Park version of Dragon Age. My question is, quite simply, why? Why is anyone interested in how many monsters Bob Smith from Little Rock, Arkansas (when he's at home) killed? Or who was in his party?

Remain genuinely baffled. Really.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Ah! The power of beer!

I've been thinking about it. Presumably you can't post any old stats (i.e. I killed fifteen dragons... WITH A SPOON!). No, there will be a connection to some sort of little programme in your game that uploads these stats directly onto the site, I presume. You are allowing Bioware INTO YOUR COMPUTER.

So it's a marketing / data harvesting opportunity with a five-dollar's worth of development flash game attached. Honestly, these games people are evil, twisted geniuses of the highest order.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG