Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

What the heck is this DLC on day-one business? Who are they kidding? If something was supposed to be included in the final product, I find it shameful to remove it and sell it as a separate product. I think I will begin to hate Bioware and boycott Dragon age as well. They are not the company I used to like, they have turned out too greedy.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

If something was supposed to be included in the final product, I find it shameful to remove it and sell it as a separate product

What makes you think it was supposed to be in the final product?

Oh common! Don't tell me you are THAT much gullible!

It's obvious what they have in mind. The worst thing is that I am afraid this will become a trend in the future.

Byebye Pc gaming for me... Bioware was a decent company but got worse over time from any point of view: recycled games, plots and characters, offensive DRM schemes (even though EA was the one behind it, Bio was still an accomplice) and now they marketing policy...

Edited by ramza

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

It's obvious what they have in mind.
Making money? O NOES!

Maybe this hasn't occured to you, but you are free to ignore the DLC. It's not like it will be a fundamental part of the plot, right?

The worst thing is that I am afraid this will become a trend in the future.

Byebye Pc gaming for me... Bioware was a decent company but got worse over time from any point of view: recycled games, plots and characters, offensive DRM schemes (even though EA was the one behind it, Bio was still an accomplice) and now they marketing policy...

What exactly is going to become a trend? Day-one DLC? And why is this a problem? You can always get the game first, and then the DLC down the line if you feel the game warrants it. I prefer that to rising price tags for games, that's for sure. Valve's been exploring a similar, fascicle-based model with HL Episodes for a while now, and it seems to work just fine. Looks to me like you are simply against change just because. Play the game, and if it's full of holes that only the DLC fills, then rant. Not the other way around.

LOL @ the marketing policy comment, too. Do you play the game, or the marketing campaign?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

What the heck is this DLC on day-one business? Who are they kidding? If something was supposed to be included in the final product, I find it shameful to remove it and sell it as a separate product. I think I will begin to hate Bioware and boycott Dragon age as well. They are not the company I used to like, they have turned out too greedy.

They talk about the DLC over here. The basic version is that after the game was delayed they had writers and designers with nothing do and they decided to make this DLC. Since DLC is much smaller they could make it, test it and have it ready by the release date.

Edited by Sammy Chung

If something was supposed to be included in the final product, I find it shameful to remove it and sell it as a separate product

Perhaps the small fact that it's ready on release day? I remember when they started doing DLC. My worries back then was that they'd just cut out 20% of the actual game and sell it for more profit later. Luckily that hasn't often been true.. until now. Modern Warfare 2 is doing it and Dragon Age sounds a bit suspicious too.

Why make something extra when people aren't expecting more than 8-10 hours from their games anyhow? Just cut out a level here or there and sell the game for full price anyhow. Then sell the recently cut out DLC for the extra profit.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If someone buys the game and finds the product incomplete, then they have every right to complain. If they buy the game and get their money

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Perhaps the small fact that it's ready on release day? I remember when they started doing DLC. My worries back then was that they'd just cut out 20% of the actual game and sell it for more profit later. Luckily that hasn't often been true.. until now. Modern Warfare 2 is doing it and Dragon Age sounds a bit suspicious too.

Why make something extra when people aren't expecting more than 8-10 hours from their games anyhow? Just cut out a level here or there and sell the game for full price anyhow. Then sell the recently cut out DLC for the extra profit.

Thanks for making my point clear, mkreku! :p

I saw this coming years ago but I was too optimistic. It's ok for a company to try to make money but it's a whole different issue when they cut some of the game's contents and present it as a new product/expansion. Customers are not stupid and blind consumers. We deserve some respect, especially when many of us have supported Bioware since the BG era (more than 10 years ago) by buying their products.

Edited by ramza

I really hate the whole idea of DLC and 0-day DLC is something that makes me want to throw my monitor outta window. It don't really matter for what reason Bioware did this, but now there's a chance that this will become industry standard. Cut portions of the game (if not the main storyline, side quests at least) and then sell 'em separately.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

For godsakes, they didn't cut anything from the base game. While two teams were busy in converting the game to the consoles the PC team was just sitting on their thumbs. SO, instead of just having the PC team sitting on their thumbs this whole time they worked on making a DLC. While the base game is at the printers, which is a two to three week period before it hits the shelves, the console teams will be converting the DLC to their respective systems.

THERE IS NO CUTTING OF THE BASE GAME!

Stop your foul whining already. If you don't like this set up DO NOT BUY THE GAME OR DLC.

It won't become industry standard if no one buys it.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Customers are not stupid and blind consumers. We deserve some respect, especially when many of us have supported Bioware since the BG era (more than 10 years ago) by buying their products.
rofl.gif

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

For godsakes, they didn't cut anything from the base game. While two teams were busy in converting the game to the consoles the PC team was just sitting on their thumbs. SO, instead of just having the PC team sitting on their thumbs this whole time they worked on making a DLC. While the base game is at the printers, which is a two to three week period before it hits the shelves, the console teams will be converting the DLC to their respective systems.

Stop your foul whining already. If you don't like this set up DO NOT BUY THE GAME OR DLC.

I refuse to believe that poor excuse. It's obvious they willingly kept some part of the game out of the main product.

If someone buys the game and finds the product incomplete, then they have every right to complain.

But how would you find that out? What if they made a 60 hour game, complete with a 50 quest long main story and 100 side quests for you to discover. Then someone decides that the full game is going to sell with the full main quest, but only 80 side quests. The rest of the completed content is going to be sold at a later date to increase profits.

Naturally, you as a consumer wouldn't know that the game was "incomplete". Because from your point of view it isn't. It's still a full game, story wise. The only thing that's changed is that it's gotten more expensive and it's been divided into parts. You may not complain about that, but I will. I don't like the way this industry is going in general, but that's another discussion.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Just making sure no one misses this. :lol:

I actually think Killian has a point in that, assuming he's right about the PC team being done, Bioware couldn't really do new things with the content. If they created new content at that point, it would probably have screwed up the QA timeline for what they already had done. I'm not a big fan of DLC. I had a great time with FO3, but I didn't buy any of the DLC. On the other hand, I figure businesses will try different things to make money. I don't have any doubt that DLC will remain popular. I'm just hoping for the least offensive manifestation of DLC possible, which means honest to goodness addon packs and not $1 horse armor or PCs that are completely nerfed unless the consumer spends cash for basic goodies.

Really, DLC doesn't strike me as any more of a gimmick than pre-order specials or collector's editions.

Never bought a DLC out of sheer principle, and never will.

I still buy the games though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ah consoles, thanks for DLC.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra