Need For Speed: Shift demo

Purkake

So the NFS:Shift demo is out.

You can get an impression of the game without actually spending money on it, an awesome invention indeed, those demos. If only there were more of them...

I'll say something about it once I've tried it.

Edited by Purkake

If this is more like Most Wanted than Undercover or Prostreet, I'll be a happy camper.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

It nothing like anything before. It wants to be a simulation-arcade or something, cars drift all the time and tires squeal when you go 30kmh through a corner.

It's definitely not NFS anymore, that's for sure.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

It was all downhill after Most Wanted :(

Well, in Carbon you definitely went downhill a lot. o:)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Actually I felt excited as the intro started.. But there was too much JOY in the controls for my keyboard.. And the game in itself was too much of WROM.. screech.. WROM.. turn.. Turn! TUUURRNNN!!! *crash*.. And unfortunately I had to quit the race to reconfigure the controls, but then the intro played again and I realized the lack of a cut-this-#%

(Signatures: disabled) 

Hilariously enough, and mayhaps on a slightly completely unrelated note, the hawt chick from NFS happened to be the girlfriend of

David Blaine.

I never liked, nor never were particularly good, in racing games myself. The only racing game I have fond memories of, is Super Karts (as pathetic as it sounds).

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The only car focused game I've ever enjoyed was Interstate 76, which really wasn't a racing game. More like a mechwarrior game. With cars.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well that didn't go so well. Installed the demo and went to try it out. First issue was the game crashed on start up. Would only run in Windows 98 compatibility mode for some reason. This went away about the 5th time I started the game. Second issue was the graphical glitches. Huge artifacts all over the screen. Couldn't get a screenshot for some reason, but it looked kinda like this. Catalyst Control Center reports my graphics card never hitting more than 64C during a race. That's only 6C more than idle. Deleting the graphics config file didn't help the issue. Third problem. I apparently don't know how drive. I don't think there was a single corner that I managed to get through without hitting something be it car or wall.

Well that didn't go so well. Installed the demo and went to try it out. First issue was the game crashed on start up. Would only run in Windows 98 compatibility mode for some reason. This went away about the 5th time I started the game. Second issue was the graphical glitches. Huge artifacts all over the screen. Couldn't get a screenshot for some reason, but it looked kinda like this. Catalyst Control Center reports my graphics card never hitting more than 64C during a race. That's only 6C more than idle. Deleting the graphics config file didn't help the issue. Third problem. I apparently don't know how drive. I don't think there was a single corner that I managed to get through without hitting something be it car or wall.

Worked fine for me on XP with ATi Radeon HD 4850.

What's your config?

It went downhill after NFS2 :(

Play "Racing Destruction Set" by Electronic Arts instead. Best racing game ever.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I shalle quote myself on this one because I reckon I nailed it.

"A racing game for those without taste, style, and passion. NFS : Shift is as easy as it is bland."

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Worked fine for me on XP with ATi Radeon HD 4850.

What's your config?

I'm running it on Windows 7 64Bit RC with a Radeon 4870 at stock speeds.

I'd say the 64 bit W7 is the most likely culprit. It's sad that developers still can't make stuff run on 64 bit OSs.