What if Obama told politicians to **** off?

Humodour

Every now and then our Prime Minister gets in trouble for making flight attendants cry or telling politicians they are ****ers and to get out. It's amusing.

Kevin Rudd has refused to apologise for repeatedly swearing during a meeting with factional bosses earlier this month, saying the "robust conversation" was consistent with Labor Party traditions.

A number of MPs copped some expletives when they visited the prime minister's parliament house office to object to plans to cut politicians' annual printing allowances by 25 per cent to $75,000.

The PM said in the presence of three female MPs: "I don't care what you f***ers think," News Limited has reported.

He later told another senator: "You can get f***ed."

Mr Rudd admits he swore.

"It's fair to say, consistent with the traditions of the Australia Labor Party, we're given to robust conversations," Mr Rudd told reporters in New York when asked about the meeting.

"I made my point of view absolutely clear.

"These entitlements needed to be cut back.

"I make no apology for either the content of my conversation or the robustness with which I expressed my views."

In a random survey of printing allowance use, the auditor-general found that in 74 per cent of instances the entitlement was at risk of being misused.

During the 2007/08 financial year - which covered the 2007 election - the auditor-general found some MPs were using the printing allowance primarily for re-election purposes.

Foreign Minister Stephen Smith says Mr Rudd doesn't have more of a potty mouth than anyone else in the community.

"There's as much chance of the prime minister swearing as you and I have sworn from time to time in the past," he told the Nine Network's Laurie Oakes.

"All of us engage regrettably in that sort of language from time to time."

Mr Smith said the most important thing was that the policy of capping printing payments was "absolutely right".

Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese declined to comment on the swearing because he wasn't at the meeting but said the prime minister had acted appropriately regarding the allowance.

"The Australian people will get some comfort from the fact that the prime minister isn't dictated to by any group, faction, interest group within the party," Mr Albanese told Network Ten.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-natio...90920-fwe3.html

Our politics used to be a lot more interesting. In fact, duels were not uncommon between politicians back in the 19th century. Ah, if only we could do that now. Democrats don't believe in gun ownership so there would not be so many of them around. :lol:

Kidding of course!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hey, generalizations like that are dangerous. If you tried to duel a gun-owning democrat, believing they owned no gun you could end up wasting a lot of good ammo.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

British politics is nothing like Australian politics in this regard. If an MP called another MP a liar in the House of Commons, he would be ejected and suspended immediately. MPs are forced to call each other 'honourable member', even if they don't think the person they're talking about is honourable in the least. Incidentally, I entirely approve of this tradition, as it reminds MPs that they are supposed to be honourable in everything they do, even if they often fail to live up to that standard. I would hate to see politicians effing and blinding in Parliament - it would be disgraceful and disrespectful of the institution to which they are elected.

Outside the chamber of the House is another matter, perhaps, but still, how can you tell your kids off for using foul language when the Prime Minister or President has just been on TV using the same kind of language?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

British politics is nothing like Australian politics in this regard. If an MP called another MP a liar in the House of Commons, he would be ejected and suspended immediately. MPs are forced to call each other 'honourable member', even if they don't think the person they're talking about is honourable in the least. Incidentally, I entirely approve of this tradition, as it reminds MPs that they are supposed to be honourable in everything they do, even if they often fail to live up to that standard. I would hate to see politicians effing and blinding in Parliament - it would be disgraceful and disrespectful of the institution to which they are elected.

This wasn't in Parliament. It was the PM laying into the sense of entitlement of members of his own party. Australian Parliament is (a bit) more civilised.

It's an amusing thought experiment to wonder how people from other countries would react were it their own leader, which is one reason I posted it here. I think to most Australians, getting the job done is the main priority, rather than an MP's respect or honour.

Yeah, I wish American political debates were like British/Australian debates. All this nonsense over 'YOU LIE'! Politicians should be able to to call each other wankers and throw shoes as much as they like! OK, maybe not the shoes...

I forgot who that dude was called, but ROCK ON, MAN!!!! SHOW OBAMA WHOS BOSS!

Our politics used to be a lot more interesting. In fact, duels were not uncommon between politicians back in the 19th century. Ah, if only we could do that now. Democrats don't believe in gun ownership so there would not be so many of them around. :lol:

Kidding of course!

The gentleman duels with the saber. I mean it would be amusing but also over pretty fast with a MAC 10.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Our politics used to be a lot more interesting. In fact, duels were not uncommon between politicians back in the 19th century. Ah, if only we could do that now. Democrats don't believe in gun ownership so there would not be so many of them around. :thumbsup:

Kidding of course!

The gentleman duels with the saber. I mean it would be amusing but also over pretty fast with a MAC 10.

Gentlemen? I thought we were talking about politicians here.

@Aram, here you go:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I hope you don't mean that as the Congressman, I think he was a member of Congress, was completely incorrect and thus the statement was both asinine and rude. Sure, let politicians call each-other out - but not while they're delivering formal addresses. :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I hope you don't mean that as the Congressman, I think he was a member of Congress, was completely incorrect and thus the statement was both asinine and rude. Sure, let politicians call each-other out - but not while they're delivering formal addresses. :thumbsup:

I agree, that was inappropriate. I also thought it was very inappropriate when the Dems all loudly booed GWB back in 2006 during his State of the Union address but I notice nobody got in a snit over that. Talk about a double standard.

Thomas Sowell

I agree, that was inappropriate. I also thought it was very inappropriate when the Dems all loudly booed GWB back in 2006 during his State of the Union address but I notice nobody got in a snit over that. Talk about a double standard.

Here's an SNL skit that might offer an answer: http://www.hulu.com/watch/96411/saturday-n...2009#s-p1-sr-i4

"If we all do it we can't get in trouble" :(

Yeah, I wish American political debates were like British/Australian debates. All this nonsense over 'YOU LIE'! Politicians should be able to to call each other wankers and throw shoes as much as they like! OK, maybe not the shoes...

Agreed, except for the shoes. I mean the guy saying "You lie!" seemed like a rude jerk, but I was very surprised by how blown up the issue was. He didn't even call Obama a wanker or anything.

I have an inkling that being a successful repulblican in opposition depends a lot on portraying strong character, and of course you need to break through the wall of general boredom. The plebs respond well to direct language. Don't assume anything is spontaneous, there were cameras after all.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Seriously why did you just link me an obnoxious video by...Glenn Beck? Oh my god why. I have no idea what you're telling me and it's like the worst thing.

It was suppposed to be a joke, I thought it was funny anyway. But I do have to admit it was a lot funnier last night when I saw it after drinking all day. Nothing is really funny right now.

Thomas Sowell

Here's an SNL skit that might offer an answer: http://www.hulu.com/watch/96411/saturday-n...2009#s-p1-sr-i4

"If we all do it we can't get in trouble" o:)

Now, that was funny.

Thomas Sowell