So Fallout 3

ramza

After playing a bit more, I better understand what I don't like about Fallout 3. I have tried to compare it to other games I have liked such as Kotor 1, Jade empire or the witcher and see what's different. It's definitely not the third person 3D view, as those games have it as well. It's not really the dialogs as each NPC has a few lines to say. I don't like the shooter aspect, it doesn't suit an rpg in my opinion. I miss the party interaction. Actually, I have been avoiding games where you play a loner. This even applies to FPS games, which is why I only play CoD games. Again, I repeat myself but the interface is clunky and the character is too slow when moving.

There's your problem! The third person view is almost as horrible as in Oblivion and it was super horrible there.

Also, CoD has some great party interaction indeed :(

Concerning CoD, I was not talking about the interaction but the fact that you had a whole party of soldiers on your side. You weren't a one-man army.

And well, yes. You may be right about the 3rd person view. There's no way I can compare it to that in Kotor and Jade empire.

Edited by ramza

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

There's a third person view in Fallout 3?

One thing I really liked about Fallout 3 was how the reload animations got longer and more elaborate the worse condition your weapon became. The rocket launcher was a lot of fun as you'd be flipping switches and smacking it to get it to finally work.

Concerning CoD, I was not talking about the interaction but the fact that you had a whole party of soldiers on your side. You weren't a one-man army.

And well, yes. You may be right about the 3rd person view. There's no way I can compare it to that in Kotor and Jade empire.

There are followers available in FO3 in fact... you can even glitch the game into having all eight followers at once.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

One thing I really liked about Fallout 3 was how the reload animations got longer and more elaborate the worse condition your weapon became. The rocket launcher was a lot of fun as you'd be flipping switches and smacking it to get it to finally work.
I totally missed that.

It's hilarious. I was wondering because at first when I got my Chinese Assault Rifle I was like "neat, the reload animation is really intricate." Then I fixed it, and was like "Wait... is it shorter now? Does it have multiple reload animations?"

Then I realized it has to do with weapon quality.

I have to admit that was pretty cool. Though I honestly wish there had been more weapons. Mostly an unscoped magnum that looked a bit more badass.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

the reload animations are definitely the only animations in the game that are actually good.

im not a hater, but yeah the animations in the game were poor.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Reload animations are good because you can actually see them in first person view, so some honest efforts had been made there.

Bethesda introduced the third person view in Morrowind as a glorified screenshot mode. Unfortunately, it never managed to grow out of that.

Edited by Masterfade

The problem with followers in Fallout 3 is that they have nothing to say and no one has anything to say to them, they're just glorified pack brahmin...with guns. :ermm:

I did think some of the combat shouts were decent though, and the small amount of dialogue you get with followers before they join you is ok but it never, ever verges on Fallout 2's interparty bantering.

Fallout 3 reminds me of Deus Ex, except less entertaining.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yes, it's a Bethesda game, you might just as well put it on the box. Until they make a game with decent animation, it's the unfortunate truth.

I'd like to see Bethesda make a non Gamebryo engine game. If their animations still suck, I'll play Morrowind as a punishment... with those flying mobs in a game.

I kinda enjoyed Fallout 3 till certain point. One skills got too high and weapons too powerful, I got bored really fast. That's unfortunate as I just met Enclave by then. Actually same thing happend me in Fallout 2 too, as game felt much more balanced before power armors and energy weapons (with certain perks).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Now Deus Ex was a plotline to enjoy, that kind of intrigue in a FOblivion 3 type setting would be my perfect game.

Sorry but cyberpunk > post-apocalypse.

They're pretty even in my book, though I suppose I meant the open spaces of a Bethesda game with a well constructed plot like Deus-ex...but then I've got my hopes pinned on New Vegas for that :lol:

Yeah I was pretty let down by Bioshock in that regard, they hyped it up like an in depth RPG and it came out like a brain damaged System Shock 2 :lol:

Still the plot was well done if you didn't question one or two of the more unlikely events.

I have written many a rant on that subject. My hate for Bioshock runs deep.

Yeah I was pretty let down by Bioshock in that regard, they hyped it up like an in depth RPG and it came out like a brain damaged System Shock 2 :lol:

Hasn't Ken Levine said that they wanted to make SS2 a shooter like bioshock? That they added the RPG elements only because they didn't have money to make it a full blooded shooter? If thats true, I'm really really happy they were broke.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Fallout 3 provides an experience that is similar to that of any GTA game, Fable or any MMORPG. Wander around, kill stuff on your way, do want you want with NPCs, customize your character's appearance, dialog-light, etc. It's definitely not what I am looking for.

I will try to enjoy the game for what it is. It can be fun but it's one of those games you eventually stop playing after a while... I like the radio though, it's fun having it switched on while fighting.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Fallout 3 provides an experience that is similar to that of any GTA game, Fable or any MMORPG. Wander around, kill stuff on your way, do want you want with NPCs, customize your character's appearance, dialog-light, etc. It's definitely not what I am looking for.

I will try to enjoy the game for what it is. It can be fun but it's one of those games you eventually stop playing after a while... I like the radio though, it's fun having it switched on while fighting.

What were you expecting going in?

This is a serious question, not some weird mocking BTW.