So Fallout 3

ramza

So this is turning into a "I hate FO3 because..." thread?

Bonus points on the clever setup, though, ramza.

Every thread on the Beth boards eventually turn out to be that, and most all of the threads involving FO3 end up that way here. I've gotten used to it.

I can't agree with Ramza, but tastes vary.

Calling it a flashlight is ridiculous. It just feels cheap, flashlights have been around since years and FO3 just has this small light.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I use a mod that makes the pipboy light much brighter. It's very helpful since I had a lot of difficulty seeing very much in dark areas.

I'd love to see an actual flashlight in NV.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Calling it a flashlight is ridiculous. It just feels cheap, flashlights have been around since years and FO3 just has this small light.
I wanted to put it in apostrophes , but was in a hurry and forgot it. Edited by Oner

I have to admit to Oblivion being my first "RPG" experience...and I really enjoyed it, unbelievably I let Fallout, Baldur's Gate and PST all pass me by when they were released, I was busy playing Half Life and Quake 2 in college, System Shock 2 came along and I started to realise that there might be more to less linear games but I watched Morrowind pass me by too, mostly because my PC had no chance of running it at the time. :)

So basically up until the last few years I've been an RPG virgin, Fallout 3 was my second RPG and again, I really enjoyed it but the sheen wore off quicker, I went and played Fallout 1&2 afterwards and got a taste of really high quality writing...talking to some of the lobotomised cliches who bibble their way around the capitol wasteland was never quite the same afterwards.

Now saying that I went back and completed Fallout 3 another two times, there's still enough stuff I haven't seen to make one more run worthwhile, and I'll do it because I really enjoy the exploration aspect, plumbing the depths of a bombed out building to find skeletal remains in amusing positions or computers with depressing diaries for whatever reason does it for me.

So anyway, I do have to thank Bethesda for introducing me to the RPG, their writing sucks but Fallout 3 can still kick ass at times, also, mods are essential :bat:

I have to admit to Oblivion being my first "RPG" experience...and I really enjoyed it, unbelievably I let Fallout, Baldur's Gate and PST all pass me by when they were released, I was busy playing Half Life and Quake 2 in college, System Shock 2 came along and I started to realise that there might be more to less linear games but I watched Morrowind pass me by too, mostly because my PC had no chance of running it at the time. :)

So basically up until the last few years I've been an RPG virgin, Fallout 3 was my second RPG and again, I really enjoyed it but the sheen wore off quicker, I went and played Fallout 1&2 afterwards and got a taste of really high quality writing...talking to some of the lobotomised cliches who bibble their way around the capitol wasteland was never quite the same afterwards.

Now saying that I went back and completed Fallout 3 another two times, there's still enough stuff I haven't seen to make one more run worthwhile, and I'll do it because I really enjoy the exploration aspect, plumbing the depths of a bombed out building to find skeletal remains in amusing positions or computers with depressing diaries for whatever reason does it for me.

So anyway, I do have to thank Bethesda for introducing me to the RPG, their writing sucks but Fallout 3 can still kick ass at times, also, mods are essential :bat:

Welcome to the forum. :)

Edit: I guess a cruddy game like Oblivion can serve some higher good after all.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks, I've lurked since I heard about New Vegas so a thread about Fallout 3 seemed to be a good excuse to start talking :bat:

I still think Oblivion with mods is a good game but yep, it's another cliched sack of idiots in the plot department.

Heathen! I played all of them.

At least you sought out redemption afterward.

The trick about Oblivion is simply to not level up and do everything at level 2... bandits/marauders stay in fur/iron armor & one can become stronger by improving skills while the attributes remain the same, keeping the game challenging... while at level 30 the game is simply tedious when even the smallest goblin takes ages to kill because of the scaled amount of health.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The trick about Oblivion is simply to not level up and do everything at level 2... bandits/marauders stay in fur/iron armor & one can become stronger by improving skills while the attributes remain the same, keeping the game challenging... while at level 30 the game is simply tedious when even the smallest goblin takes ages to kill because of the scaled amount of health.

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul almost completely solves that, I agree though, the vanilla scaling is damn stupid.

Thanks, I've lurked since I heard about New Vegas so a thread about Fallout 3 seemed to be a good excuse to start talking :)

Awesome! Good to have you aboard.

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul almost completely solves that, I agree though, the vanilla scaling is damn stupid.

Yep. That was the mod that made Oblivion at least somewhat fun for me. It crashed a lot though. And I mean a lot. Especfially around Anvil.

I just raised the brightness, you really can't see anything if you don't.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Those never-ending dark metro tunnels were real fun, especially with mines, bear traps & pressure plates strewn about.

There was even a special one infested with those rambo mudcrabs... urgh.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

After playing a bit more, I better understand what I don't like about Fallout 3. I have tried to compare it to other games I have liked such as Kotor 1, Jade empire or the witcher and see what's different. It's definitely not the third person 3D view, as those games have it as well. It's not really the dialogs as each NPC has a few lines to say. I don't like the shooter aspect, it doesn't suit an rpg in my opinion. I miss the party interaction. Actually, I have been avoiding games where you play a loner. This even applies to FPS games, which is why I only play CoD games. Again, I repeat myself but the interface is clunky and the character is too slow when moving.

I have two different saves: one in which I play a psycho killer (I managed to kill the sheriff and steal his machine gun, and it was much easier killing everyone in Megaton with it) and one where I play more along Beth's lines. I like the sense of freedom in the game. I have actually always wished there. After playing Fallout 3, I realized this is not a good thing as you can waste hours wandering aimlessly. You even lose any sense of purpose in the game. Fine, the side quests seem interesting but I need a stronger main plot. Just like in Oblivion, the main plot tends to fall in the background and will eventually pop in again under specific circumstances.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p