So Fallout 3

ramza

A friend of mine lent me his copy and I have just finished the tutorial. I am ashamed of saying this, but despite the average writing, it is quite pleasant.

*sighs*

My main complaint is about the awful and clunky interface.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Fallout 3 is certainly different than the first two.

I enjoyed it a lot, especially since I could have the graphics cranked up. In Oblivion I found myself using fast travel all the time. In Fallout 3, I actually enjoyed walking throughout the wasteland. Especially if I needed to go into the downtown core.

I am playing it on the pc. I have trouble deciding about my character's stats.

The skill tags I have chosen: speech, small guns and open locks.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Ok, I played a bit more. Got killed once by some moles and dogs. After that, I killed some raiders, some kind of robot and a super mutant. The game looks a bit boring at this point. The character doesn't move fast enough, all I have seen so far are some huge empty spaces, it's taking very long to get from one point to another without anything happening. Exploration can be fun but this is starting to become tedious. I don't like these games where you walk for hours and hours. I agree with the statement that it's Oblivion with guns. And I guess I won't be playing long this game. I just wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

You must be doing something wrong because one general complain is that the Wasteland is a bit too packed and busy.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It didn't kill your family and set your town on fire?

NMA was wrong all along!

Seriously, some people need to cut down on the prejudice around here...

Wait what?

Why people waste so much energy on acknowledging they do not like something? Numerous times? Is it about getting some attention, or some weird need to fix other peoples preferences?

easterbunnycry.JPG

Good thing copy/pasting doesn't require much energy, amirite?

I don't know, I have been wandering through the wasteland for something like 30 minutes and I barely got 4 encounters. I am currently in some ruined city. I find the pacing to be too slow. I did like the exploration aspect in the Zelda games but I dislike the one in Oblivion and Fallout 3. I can't explain why... Maybe Oblivion and Fallout's maps are 1000 times larger, and I just don't like having to wander aimlessly until I discover the next town with quests.

I don't want to change anyone's opinion about the game. I am just expressing my first thoughts and the reasons why I am inclined not to like the game. It's maybe not for me...

Oh by the way, I killed the Overseer. I just couldn't stand the guy. Who did the same?

Why people waste so much energy on acknowledging they do not like something? Numerous times? Is it about getting some attention, or some weird need to fix other peoples preferences?

And I suppose what you're doing now is an exquisite way of using your energy? Maybe getting some attention? Maybe some weird need to complain about peoples preferences? Weeee.

You must be doing something wrong because one general complain is that the Wasteland is a bit too packed and busy.

It's been discussed a few million times already, but I think the main problem people have with that is the scale of the game and the area it covers. Where the old Fallouts had the hubs and the world map to abstract travel between them, and Fallout 3 has the Capital Wasteland as a single area with no world map or abstracted travel.

I think both ways can be done well in games but I don't think Fallout 3s "freeroaming world" particularly enforces the fact that the nuclear wasteland is a very empty and desolate place. And I would've rather had the "old style" travelling for Fallout games. But, it is what it is, and there wouldn't be a whole lot to do in the game if the Fallout 3 wasteland was really empty.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

And I suppose what you're doing now is an exquisite way of using your energy? Maybe getting some attention? Maybe some weird need to complain about peoples preferences? Weeee.

It's just interesting that acceptance of game criticism is applied inconsistently. We have what seem to be several hundred threads about the deficiencies in design of Bioware and Bethsoft games but when that same sort of ****storm attitude is applied to other games it becomes an issue. Taste relativism is only really applied when you like the game in question.

or abstracted travel

Fallout 3 does have fast travel.

If you wander aimlessly you probably won't find much, but honestly I think a bit of that is the fault of the roleplayer playing the game.

Different strokes for different folks, but I expected a somewhat desolate area, and when I walked up to the bridge to get a high vantage point of the area, I got that feeling of "I'm alone" that, wel, you probably SHOULD get.

There's a bit of eerieness about Fallout 3 that I really enjoyed. Like how there could easily be a supermutant waiting for me around that corner, or a raider waiting to snipe me from an elevated position, with traps protecting the way up to him. Usually I was wrong, but I loved that on edge feeling.

NMA was wrong all along!

Wait what?

No Mutants Allowed? The awesome community of FO1/2 fans generally known for their dislike for FO3, even if not universally true? The light that shines through the brown-gray wasteland of FO3 to bring us hope of a better future?

NMA was wrong all along!

Wait what?

No Mutants Allowed? The awesome community of FO1/2 fans generally known for their dislike for FO3, even if not universally true? The light that shines through the brown-gray wasteland of FO3 to bring us hope of a better future?

I meant that you're talking like this is the NMA forum. o:)

Fallout 3 is fine as long as you remember that it's not a 2D isometric turn-based RPG. Pick up some mods if you've got the PC version, they will make the game much, much more enjoyable.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Fallout 3 was the my top game of 2008.

4 encounters in 30 minutes of wasteland exploring actually seems like a lot. It's a wasteland. If you are really hard up for a fight head towards the capitol.

Edited by Hurlshot

You can fast travel. Once you reach a town/destination, you'll get the message that you have found XXX. From then on, you can click on the map to travel there.

Be sure you talk to everyone so you get as many quests as possible. Also, turn on your radio and listen to 3-Dog. He hints at quests that are available. If you find 3-Dog early on and take care of his quests, it ups the station's frequency so you can hear it all over the wasteland.

...it is quite pleasant.

It's a good game. I think in the sea of complaints about writing and not being 'fallout' enough, people miss this.

I agree with the statement that it's Oblivion with guns.

I'd suggest that you play Fallout 3 for another two hours and then crack open Oblivion. There are a number of similarities between the games, but I find in almost every aspect, Fallout 3 is superior.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.