Witcher 2 'leaked' video

Maria Caliban

I really like the graphics and physics system. Throwing enemies over the edges are always fun. I'm not looking forward of those quicktime events, especially since those never react correctly how well (or badly) player handles the scene. Something like Metal Gear Solid 4 final fight look really stupid when boss mob don't get any hits thru but at the same time main character look like he got hit by a truck.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Read: Placeholder voices

i was just about to say that. as i recall, the witcher 1 had OK voice acting. i never finished it, however.

they mentioned a new engine... what is it, anyone know?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Didn't know there were dragons in Sapkowski's dark heroic fantasy world.

Anyway, this is the real "new ****", indeed. I just hope the plot won't be a knock-off of the first game, it would be lame if this time another mysterious group (apparently assassins) wreaks havoc after abusing the Witcher secrets... i.e. epilogue of the first game. Hopefully Geralt will visit many places of the world this time, instead of just only Temeria. I'd like to see Thanedd Island for instance... also, how is it that every Princess wants to sleep with the white-haired one?

Edited by Gorth
Circumventing language filter

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It looks very good, like Ryu, I think the graphics and physics look great, I also liked the guards reaction to the barrell push. However I didn't like the original, only got to chapter 2, then couldn't find the motivation to go any further. Maybe I might enjoy this one more.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

However I didn't like the original, only got to chapter 2, then couldn't find the motivation to go any further.

Like me, then! I got to some autopsy thingie and one where I was supposed to light (?) some magic beacons in a forest/swamp filled with dead people and I just.. gave up. I had no interest in seeing more, no story to pull me along and I had already gotten laid a handful of times.

For the record, I actually enjoyed getting those nudie pics. I've never seen that in a game before.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It sure looks like they captured the essence of maturity once again. I bet the game will be full of those complex issues, just like the first one!

Well, irony aside, I'm not really expecting much of this game. Let's just hope they manage to make a coherent story this time (since it doesn't look like they are changing the combat) in order to actually make a playable game.

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

It sure looks like they captured the essence of maturity once again. I bet the game will be full of those complex issues, just like the first one!

Well, irony aside, I'm not really expecting much of this game. Let's just hope they manage to make a coherent story this time (since it doesn't look like they are changing the combat) in order to actually make a playable game.

What part of story was incoherent in TW1?

What part of story was incoherent in TW1?

The main story was incoherent. First of all I guess you agree that the story was not there for 90% of the game. I was hunting down that Salamander people for like 70 hours. Like many others around chapter 2 I couldn't remember what I was doing but I kept playing. There were other things you were doing in the game, but they were really unrelated to my character (and even my character couldn't stop saying how he didn't care about them, making things even more unbearable).

So, SPOILERS AHEAD. You have been warned people and all that ('m not using tags since it's kind of a big paragraph and would make it hard to read):

Alvin/the grandmaster made no sense. The main story was about how he could see some prophecy about an ice age coming and his attempt to stop it. Also, he was the commander of the order of the flaming rose. Why did he order his men to attack and create havoc? There are way subtler ways to get specimens for his experiments to create a human race that will withstand cold without creating wars between the races (his men attacked like 3 times the elves-dwarves openly and were the reason Geralt actually reached him and killed him). So the whole game, the war between the races didn't make sense. It was pointless and was not explained in the game and it was what we were forced to see for 80 hours or so. Also, he knew about the prophecy in a world of magic, it would make sense that he would go to the Witchers' stronghold and talk about his visions (it's not like there are no such things in the world) to get the Witchers actually help him with the mutations. He could help the king return and establish order and then talk to him about the prophesy and ask for his help. And I'm sure there are other reasonable ways he could deal with that prophecy. Though instead of doing all these things, he decided to start racial wars. Funnily enough he was aware of the hate towards himself he would create to Geralt because Alvin was with him for a long time in the beginning of the game. And why didn't he tell Geralt who he was? Also, let's not get into time travel paradoxes, since he was hunting himself literally. I don't think that characters in mediums should be always perfect and absolutely logical, since making mistakes makes them human, but there cannot be drawn any connection between the racial war and his reasons behind them, nor did he tried to explain them in the game. So he was just a character, whose motives had absolutely nothing to do his actions and the only reason this is so, is because CD project red wanted an adversary with "good" motives in order to show the shades of grey. The rest of the (almost unrelated to the main plot) events occurring were boring with the exceptions of the beginning of the investigation (the end with the tower was anticlimactic and irrelevant) and the village with the marriage (which was the only part of the game I liked).

And that's what I think that hurt the Witcher most (apart from the appalling combat that was what I was forced to do in the game). That the developers (at least look like) were trying to put choices and consequences, lesser than two evil situations, questionable morals and complex issues, without actually caring to find out what they really mean or about why people want that stuff in a game or in a movie or a book. It's not that they are cool, it's that they create consistency and realism in the game world. If choices and consequences are like: I order a pizza, they ask me if I want coke with it, I say yes and then the orange juice in my fridge disappears then it's not fun, it's frustrating. I'm not talking about telling me every 3 seconds "If you choose this the following will happen". The unexpected is good and fun as long as it makes sense. And the same applies to lesser than two evil situations when obvious better solutions exist and I don't have the option to try them out (and maybe fail), but I'm forced to either kill half the population or all of the population (that's an exaggeration to make a point).

The morals and maturity were kind of annoying at first, but you just have to realise that they aren't in the game and were just a marketing trick and keep playing without expecting anything related to them.

So that's my rant, I guess.

Edited by Istima Loke

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

The Grand Master was a racist who thought that in order for the human race to survive, two things had to be done :

--- create gardians with no feelings and no doubts in order to protect and help the normal human population during this new Ice Age.

--- destroy the non-humans, especially the elves, because they were an extinct race whom foolish attempts at getting back their old glory, although destined to fail, could still mean the disparition of the humn race. Especially when the prophecy is sometimes told to be in favor of the elves, having been profered by an elven seer.

A for the way he handled the prophecy... remember than the Witcher don't share their secrets, never. And that even if he could get support from one kingdom, there was no way he could get support from every kingdom out there. ESPECIALLY when his whole organization is the result of a plan by some secret services to foil the plans of another strong and influent organization, the Loge of Sorceresses.

I don't understand your point about the choices and consequences. Are you talking about the Abigail choice (one of the most white VS black choice in that game. I mean, there is NO way I could choose the villagers) at the beginning?

Well hooray, guess we finally find out who the guy that attacked Foltest is, or something.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Cool, I will certainly buy it but I guess I will wait for the enhanced edition, since CDP has a habit of making re-releases.

I admit that the first game was enjoyable at first but it started becoming tedious in chapter 3. I am currently in chapter 4 and have taken a long pause since April. I might continue playing next month...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The Witcher is one of the few games I've played that actually has a complex and interesting narrative mixed with a nice dose of optional things.

It is a game, completely the opposte of Oblivion and FO3, that hugely rewards speaking with people.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The witcher was probably the most fun full fledged rpg I've played in the past few years (i definitely dont consider oblivion and fallout 3 rpg's). better than nwn 2 oc (i havent played motb yet)

and it was nice to finally play a game where talking was important enough to do again. the last one i played like that was what, kotor 2?

it was also one of the few recent rpgs where i was curious enough about what was happening to finish the game

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The witcher was probably the most fun full fledged rpg I've played in the past few years (i definitely dont consider oblivion and fallout 3 rpg's). better than nwn 2 oc (i havent played motb yet)

and it was nice to finally play a game where talking was important enough to do again. the last one i played like that was what, kotor 2?

it was also one of the few recent rpgs where i was curious enough about what was happening to finish the game

There are so many ways to get through the story and each time I've played it I've come across different options. They all lead to more or less the same place eventually, but it's great seeing how much work was actually put into stuff that wasn't about fighting/maiming/blowing something up.

It reminds me a lot of PS:T except I enjoy the Witcher a lot more.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's real (not that anyone was saying it was not): “Of course, we can’t and won’t try to deny the facts. The movie that appeared on the various sites yesterday presents our newest project, The Witcher 2, which we’ve been working on for some time. We made something about half year ago, to present the first playable version of the game.”

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot