4x games?

Maria Caliban

Im curious, whats the difference between beating up on computer generated Europeans and beating up on computer generated Native Americans that has you guys so squeamish?

One is the recreation of a historical injustice while the other is not.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

IMO you're missing out on one of the best 4x games ever made.

If you have an issue with the exploitation of the natives in that game, don't do it. Nothing prevents you from befriending them. As the French you get bonuses dealing with them. Pretty much only the Spanish have a specific incentive to attack natives, based on their bonus.

Besides, Civilization most definitely does recreate historical injustice in exactly the same way as Colonization does. I find it bizarre that you have issues with a game that lets you conquer natives as the Spanish, while have no problems with one that lets you conquer the Zulu as the English.

Heck, Civ IV lets you create the world in such a way that there is a "New World" that has nothing but "Barbarians" on the western continent.

I'm very surprised that this is an issue for someone, but c'est la vie. I suggest playing the game.

Edited by alanschu

Im curious, whats the difference between beating up on computer generated Europeans and beating up on computer generated Native Americans that has you guys so squeamish?

One is the recreation of a historical injustice while the other is not.

Won't somebody please think of the pixels?

Since I doubt you are going to find Reach for The Stars for the Commodore64, Master of Orion 2 is the best thing out there. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to like x64 Vista

There aren't really that many 4X games out there are there? :down:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sid really needs to make a sequel to Alpha Centauri. I'll second the recommendation of SEIV. The graphics aren't anything fancy by a longshot, but the gameplay's deep enough to make it fun. It's real fun multiplayer though, countless months spent playing it PBW.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There aren't really that many 4X games out there are there? :lol:

Nope. It's another game genre that next gen development had all but killed in its lemming like pursuit of Wow clones, Diablo clones, Halo clones etc and so forth.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI. An interesting 4x game, with several mini games in it, dueling and debating. With the PC version you are able to create your own generals, it's also the only game that I know of(besides TW) where you can marry your generals to each other. (Sorry no gay marriage)

ae1efs.jpg

season-sum-guiyang.jpg

md_36760.jpg

48a30eb13163e_featured_without_text_Debate4-1.jpg

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif