4x games?

Maria Caliban

I've recently played Civilization IV and Galactic Civilization and have a hunkering for other 4x games, particularly turn-based, particularly ones where non-military conquest is supported as well as military conflict.

I

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Have you played MOO and its sequel?

Also Stars! is absolutely awesome, just completely devoid of graphical bling.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Have you played MOO and its sequel?

What is MOO?

It has been awhile since I played Age of Wonders 2 but I remember it be to a solid fantasy 4X.

I've heard good things about the new Colonization. Could be a good choice if you don't feel unease about the subject matter.

That's the stand alone of Civilization IV where you conquer the new world? Honestly, fantasy and science fiction sit much better with me than recreating unpleasant historical events.

What is Age of Wonders like?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Fab game. One of the best TB strat games ever. I still have my CD from years ago. DId the developers ever continue on with their follow-up? LAst I heard they had basically stopped worked because no one would pick it up for any sort of publishing deal.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What is MOO?

Master of Orion. The game by which all others are judged and still unsurpassed after all this time.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

No idea what a 4x game is, but the first Age of Wonders had an interesting Tolkienesque world & dark herioc storyline, and excellent Fallout-like combat.

There were two main faction campaigns, and three endings for each faction depending on certain critical decisions throughout.

I never got to playing the sequels.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

What is MOO?

Master of Orion. The game by which all others are judged and still unsurpassed after all this time.

Thank you! :down:

No idea what a 4x game is, but the first Age of Wonders had an interesting Tolkienesque world & dark herioc storyline, and excellent Fallout-like combat.

There were two main faction campaigns, and three endings for each faction depending on certain critical decisions throughout.

I never got to playing the sequels.

4x stands for eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. It refers to strategy games where you typically develop and grow a civilization.

Fab game. One of the best TB strat games ever. I still have my CD from years ago. DId the developers ever continue on with their follow-up? LAst I heard they had basically stopped worked because no one would pick it up for any sort of publishing deal.

Actually, I think the story is that they actually finished Supernova, the sequel, but never found anyone to publish it.

Heja Sverige!!

That's the stand alone of Civilization IV where you conquer the new world? Honestly, fantasy and science fiction sit much better with me than recreating unpleasant historical events.

What is Age of Wonders like?

Yeah that's the game. I did enjoy the original Colonization as a kid but now as a grown-up I'm a bit torn about whether to get the remake, because of its historical setting.

I can only speak of Age of Wonders 2 as I haven't played the original. It's like a crossover between Civilization and Heroes of Might and Magic. You build cities, manage populations, do magical researches, etc. Like HoMM it goes into a separate tactical mode when enemies are engaged.

Sins of a Solar Empire?
Still good, though, but not what she asked for.

As was already mentioned try both Master of Orion titles. From what I remember Space Empires 4 was almost as good. Oh and Fragile Allegiance too :down:

Since we have this topic - did anyone try the recentish Lost Empires: Immortals?

i've got a confession.

i'm not a big fan of 4x games.

The first I ever played was Civ 4. and I loved it, spent tons of time with it.

i decided to try galactic civ 2... and it was so similar to civ 4 in gameplay that i thought to myself "do i really need two games that are almost identical?"

then i thought about all the infinity engine games, or every fps under the sun. each is just as similar to eachother, yet i dont mind. but for 4x games, i felt like 1 was enough... i guess im just not a big enough fan of the genre to justify playing more than 1 every few years.

maybe im broken inside?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

This might surprise you, Maria, but a female gamer friend of mine swears by Medieval Total War as one of the best strategy / civ games ever and never plays a single battle in tactical mode.

You just auto resolve them, takes seconds.

If you fancy trying this, buy the bargain bucket original as the strategy GUI / music / atmosphere (etc) is beautiful compared to the more technically accomplished and grapihcally enhanced MTW2.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Im curious, whats the difference between beating up on computer generated Europeans and beating up on computer generated Native Americans that has you guys so squeamish?

Because a game that lets you beat up BOTH is just super awesome.

The big thing is, it's fun! Getting that subjective thing out of the way, it's fun managing the relationships with the natives, whether its in an exploitative (i.e. Spanish haha) way, or getting them to help you and help your settlements grow.

Playing the game of cat and mouse, and getting all the advantages the natives had against you, while fighting the national army after declaring independence is also fun. Scoring big and finding that mountain range with lots of silver, only to have to decide between the 7% increase in tax or having a "Silver Party" is one of those frustrating "**** you" moments, but in a good way.

This might surprise you, Maria, but a female gamer friend of mine swears by Medieval Total War as one of the best strategy / civ games ever and never plays a single battle in tactical mode.

You just auto resolve them, takes seconds.

If you fancy trying this, buy the bargain bucket original as the strategy GUI / music / atmosphere (etc) is beautiful compared to the more technically accomplished and grapihcally enhanced MTW2.

Cheers

MC

She's nuts. On its own, the strategy map in Total War games is pretty bland and superficial, even if there's been definite improvement since Shogun.

Heja Sverige!!

Im curious, whats the difference between beating up on computer generated Europeans and beating up on computer generated Native Americans that has you guys so squeamish?

Because a game that lets you beat up BOTH is just super awesome.

The big thing is, it's fun! Getting that subjective thing out of the way, it's fun managing the relationships with the natives, whether its in an exploitative (i.e. Spanish haha) way, or getting them to help you and help your settlements grow.

Playing the game of cat and mouse, and getting all the advantages the natives had against you, while fighting the national army after declaring independence is also fun. Scoring big and finding that mountain range with lots of silver, only to have to decide between the 7% increase in tax or having a "Silver Party" is one of those frustrating "**** you" moments, but in a good way.

What I meant was, post 3 and 4 indicatate that the unpleasant subject matter drives them away from that expansion. Why is that any more unpleasant that anything else? Was just curious.

Oh I sees!

Touche Gifted one. Touche.

For what it's worth, those that are concerned about the "content" of Colonization, I'll just say that the original Colonization (played way back in the day) is probably my favourite non-MOO 4x game. I might give Civ4 a nod, but there is something remarkably charming about that game. Plus, the intricate economy (compared to Civ games) of harvesting resources, building the workshops to create manufactured goods, to either trade them with Europe, other New World colonies, or even the natives, is a ton of fun.

I never did play the new one, but it was remade because Colonization fans have been begging for it to be remade for years. The game is flippin' fun!

The problem I see with Colonization series is you're only allowed to play the Europeans. It's similar to my feelings toward WWII games. I'm not against WWII games where you could play both Axis and Alliance, but if a game comes out and only allows you to play the three Axis powers then I do have a problem.