New preview from OXM-UK

An extremely positive preview from OXM-UK. Jesus, I wish I knew if this game had a hard date in October. I was thinking of canceling my preorder and putting the money on something I knew was coming out while I wait for AP, but I am just going to hang in there and wait for an official word. The game is sounding better and better.

Here you go:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=13888

Edited by ironcreed

Positive, but

It combines Mass Effect's love of dialogue branches and deep plot

... has me worried.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Positive, but

... has me worried.

Not sure I'm following.

Mass Effect did have branching dialog and a plot deeper than the average console cRPG. Their of those accolades explicitly said Mass Effect was a good game, if that's your problem.

Positive, but

... has me worried.

Not sure I'm following.

Mass Effect did have branching dialog and a plot deeper than the average console cRPG. Their of those accolades explicitly said Mass Effect was a good game, if that's your problem.

My problem is that Mass Effect had a crap plot and its branching largely consisted of:

1. Good Option

2. Bad Option with the same result as the Good Option, but gives renegade points

3. I'll be going now.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

My problem is that Mass Effect had a crap plot and its branching largely consisted of:

1. Good Option

2. Bad Option with the same result as the Good Option, but gives renegade points

3. I'll be going now.

I don't think that's a fair breakdown for Mass Effect by any means, but Alpha Protocol definitely doesn't have any good guy/bad guy points going on. The player choices influence how individual characters think of Mike Thorton, and the story reacts to the situations that result.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

Mass Effect had a perfectly good plot. The dialogue and voice acting were pretty lacking (at times, the voice acting was utterly atrocious), but the story itself was pretty good.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I don't think that's a fair breakdown for Mass Effect by any means,

Don't you? I can think of three moments of actual C&C in the entire game. Two of which were on the same (penultimate) planet, and the third was the five-minutes-before-the-end "choose your final cutscene" choice.

but Alpha Protocol definitely doesn't have any good guy/bad guy points going on. The player choices influence how individual characters think of Mike Thorton, and the story reacts to the situations that result.

Thanks for the info. What I'm particularly curious to know, though, is the extent of the reaction - will some "main" missions only be available from NPC Bob, while an alternate can be sought from Agent Joe, or would this option be taking the same mission from different angles?

Well, Mass Effect was those three options plus the fairly static "tell me about yourself and the world" tree.

As, indeed, were Jade Empire and KotOR, with the minor exception that the other two didn't actually bore me.

I don't think that's a fair breakdown for Mass Effect by any means,

Don't you? I can think of three moments of actual C&C in the entire game. Two of which were on the same (penultimate) planet, and the third was the five-minutes-before-the-end "choose your final cutscene" choice.

I think that (possibility) there are more than three moments of C&C (Cerberus mission, rachni liberation or not, etc). We can't see all the consecuences until ME2 and ME3.

Edited by Perseus Veil

Positive, but

... has me worried.

Not sure I'm following.

Mass Effect doesnt seem to be very popular among many local forum residents :(

Edited by uzivatel