Planescape: Torment Topic

Craigboy2

The review is rubbish. He could have summarized it in one sentence: "I like old tactical combat RPG's with no back story, which is why I don't like Torment." End of story.

To be clear, I like games like TOEE and Icewind Dale as well, but Torment never even attempts to be that sort of game. Actually it attempts to be exactly opposite. The guy has a serious case of misplaced expectations.

@Maria: lol, you beat me to it.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Hi, all. I saw that someone had mentioned my CRPG history and thought I would let you know about a video I recently made about Planescape Torment. P:T is one of my personal favorites and definitely deserves more attention!

Ten minutes isn't really long enough to convey everything, but at least it should give a general impression of the game and why it's so compelling.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by mattbarton.exe

Hi, all. I saw that someone had mentioned my CRPG history and thought I would let you know about a video I recently made about Planescape Torment. P:T is one of my personal favorites and definitely deserves more attention!

Ten minutes isn't really long enough to convey everything, but at least it should give a general impression of the game and why it's so compelling.

Thanks,

Matt

I like your voice.

Bleh, you guys need some example to prove Torment's greatness, i'll start by

Characters

Vhailor: When the injustice is great enough, justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it. None may stand against it. It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment, and lend its servant the power to pass sentence. Know this: There is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them. It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods. Know that for all who betray justice, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe.

Nameless One: I see.

Vhailor: No, you do not see. Pray you never will.

If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

TL;DR, needs more pictures :(

Pleb :p

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

i remember getting the phone call from local gamestore that torment had arrived on it's day of release. I convinced my mom to drive me there so i could buy it immediately. i was so excited.

i ran into the store to get the new game "from the guys who made fallout!" (that was what i thought at the time, its somewhat truish) and stopped dead in my tracks.

i was expecting to see a huge wall of it with other excited gamers eagerly snatching it up. instead i saw no sign of it. i wandered around and eventually found two copies on the bottom shelf of the new game rack, they were sideways so the cover didnt even show.

I think more people know about the game now than when it came out. Maybe in 30 years when you walk into the gamestore equivelent of an arthouse theater you'll see posters of it on the wall. and when you go to the mulitplex equivelent gamestore, you won't even see posters for halo, because "nobody cares about old games"

if games follow the trends of movies though, there will always exist the small budget masterpiece alongside the big budget transformers 2 pos.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I see Icewind Dale as Black Isle's ultimate refinement of RPG combat and gameplay elements, Torment as the ultimate refinement of story and moral elements, and Baldur's Gate II as a balance of the two and probably the masterpiece. Torment, however, is something very special in that no game had ever, and maybe no game ever will again, do what it did best quite as well. Other studios can probably offer the rest, but Torment was something truly special.

i remember getting the phone call from local gamestore that torment had arrived on it's day of release. I convinced my mom to drive me there so i could buy it immediately. i was so excited.

i ran into the store to get the new game "from the guys who made fallout!" (that was what i thought at the time, its somewhat truish) and stopped dead in my tracks.

i was expecting to see a huge wall of it with other excited gamers eagerly snatching it up. instead i saw no sign of it. i wandered around and eventually found two copies on the bottom shelf of the new game rack, they were sideways so the cover didnt even show.

I think more people know about the game now than when it came out. Maybe in 30 years when you walk into the gamestore equivelent of an arthouse theater you'll see posters of it on the wall. and when you go to the mulitplex equivelent gamestore, you won't even see posters for halo, because "nobody cares about old games"

if games follow the trends of movies though, there will always exist the small budget masterpiece alongside the big budget transformers 2 pos.

am not sure what you is talking 'bout. there were loads o' print and on-line previews for ps:t leading up to release of game... is a long time past, but you can still dig up the multi-page and extreme positive previews of ps:t from ign and gamespot. am recalling 1 and 2 page advertisements in cgw... and those ain't cheap. there were a 5' tall cardboard ps:t display at our local game store... had nameless one and most o' the joinables near life-size and in bright shiny colors. traffic at interplay's ps:t boards were pretty good--josh were the interplay board monkey at time. ps:t were hardly some unknown enterprise on the fringe o' the gaming world.

btw, one reason why ps:t were such a disappointment were 'cause it were not simply a small budget endeavor. sales for ps:t were particular disappointing 'cause o' the Big investment by interplay.

ps:t failed. is many reasons why it were a commercial failure. revisionist history won't make it any less of a failure 10 years removed.

HA! Good Fun!

side-note: am willing to concede that the ps:t advertising were poorly conceived. is not that there weren't enough advertising, but is possible/probable that many were confused by interplay's adverts. if you were not familiar with the planescape setting, then ps:t advertisements maybe did little to create anticipation for game.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

seriously, why everyone thinks that commercial failure = failure of the product... Van Gogh died poor because of commercial failure during his life, but nowadays his paintings are considered as part of the best creations which were ever made by mankind...

same will happen with few games aswell, when they start to be taken more seriously like books and movies in the past... And Torment will be one of them...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Or they could end up like comic books: a unique art form that becomes massively popular among a wide range of demographics but later deteriorates into almost nothing but adolescent male power fantasies as the bulk of 'culture' continues to spurn it.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Betrayal at Krondor had more text than PS:T & an amazing story (being written by Raymond Feist himself). But it's hardly remembered these days save by a chosen few.

I'm sure there a forum for it with people lamenting the lack of coverage BaK gets and complaining about how lame copycats like PST steal all their thunder.

It's all relative, dude.