So, Is this game delayed or not?

Well, they should have realize that such a delay would piss off quite a number of gamers. I will just use the money I have stored for pre-order on Dragon Age.

Yeah, I'm sure SEGA is quaking in their boots for all the ~100 people they pissed off who were actually aware of AP.

Well, I am 32, have read the Divine Comedy and see no problem with it because I also happen to enjoy playing video games. The only way it is going to harm the literature is if you allow it to do so within your own mind.

I personally find that the 9 circles of hell being made into 9 increasingly more horrific levels in a video game to be quite appealing. I love the source material and I also happen to love horror and action games as well. Not a bad fit, if you ask me. But again, whatever floats your boat, my friend.

Oh, I don't think it will "harm" the literature in any way. I just find it stupid to take a classic piece of literature as your source material and then make a game vaguely referencing to it every now and then. If it were just GoW-clone #52, I couldn't care less, but since they are actually claiming to "bring the literature to a new audience", I am somewhat annoyed.

The game itself might end up being super special awesome, but then it would be just as awesome without the source material.

Just because I like something, doesn't mean I want a game based on that. Would you want a Schindler's List game? Maybe it could be a platformer?

Edited by Purkake

It's not the basing games / films and such on classic pieces of literature / mythology that's a problem...

It's the people who then base their information on the warped "inspired by" game or movie and never actually bother to find out which bits were just a little bit.. stretched...

After all, I've actually encountered people who honestly believed william wallace's son ended up on the throne of England after watching Braveheart...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Last thing I seen was a press release saying the 6th October but since then there hasn't been really any marketing or anything I've seen. It looks likely that its delayed again but any official confirmation or denial?

dude dind't you hear they pushed it back to june 2010 beacuse of (lack of crates whatever that means) i am so not buying alpha proctol anymore this is a huge letdown i had it pre oderd and evey thing

:lol:

Last thing I seen was a press release saying the 6th October but since then there hasn't been really any marketing or anything I've seen. It looks likely that its delayed again but any official confirmation or denial?

dude dind't you hear they pushed it back to june 2010 beacuse of (lack of crates whatever that means) i am so not buying alpha proctol anymore this is a huge letdown i had it pre oderd and evey thing

Speaking of misinformation, look at the damage you have done, Krezack!

I was gonna say :lol:

I'll never understand these people that QQ and cancel pre-orders, though. Surely that's less incentive for Sega to release? Or has something flown over my head again?

BATTLE, n. A method of untying with the teeth of a political knot that would not yield to the tongue. - Ambrose Bierce

I'll never understand these people that QQ and cancel pre-orders, though. Surely that's less incentive for Sega to release? Or has something flown over my head again?

Don't like having money sitting around for a game more than two months in advance personally. I'll be transfering my preorder to Brutal Legend. Once a more concrete date is set I'll preorder again. No big deal.

For others, though, it probably is something along the lines of 'rage quiting'.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Don't like having money sitting around for a game more than two months in advance personally. I'll be transfering my preorder to Brutal Legend. Once a more concrete date is set I'll preorder again. No big deal.

For others, though, it probably is something along the lines of 'rage quiting'.

Fair enough, but surely there's not that many games that are warranting a preorder? Even I can't see that many, and I'm a sucker for extra bells and whistles courtesy of Collector's Editions and such.

BATTLE, n. A method of untying with the teeth of a political knot that would not yield to the tongue. - Ambrose Bierce

That is basically what I am doing but the target is Dragon Age, not Brutal Legend. Played the games demo, however, and I am considering getting it.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Well it took 38 pages and almost a month since I started this thread for there to be any confirmation and even that wasn't done with any sort of press release or anything.

I'm not being alarmist but judging from SEGA and Obsidians tight lips over this I think this game may never be released, or if it is, it will be by a different publisher.

I'm ofcourse just speculating.

Hopefully it isn't vaporware.

I don't really care whether it's more or less of an incentive for SEGA to release AP at this point. Like I said, I have to assume the delay is because game is absolute sh*t at this point and not worth buying.

Sry for the post-spam of mine last page...

Ya my biggest concern is that the game has a solid design right now, but SEGA is delaying on an account that they want to de-hardcore-ize it , to make it more casual friendly, or make it more like some other more mainstream RPG games.

Like that leaked comment on how it was tough to aim. I love the fact that it's tough to aim if you have no skills with the weapon, and it takes a while for your reticule to shrink,... I'm really afraid that some non-gamer is making some dumb calls to change the game to for the 'better' by 'improving' stuff in the design that should not be changed.

Sry for the post-spam of mine last page...

Ya my biggest concern is that the game has a solid design right now, but SEGA is delaying on an account that they want to de-hardcore-ize it , to make it more casual friendly, or make it more like some other more mainstream RPG games.

Like that leaked comment on how it was tough to aim. I love the fact that it's tough to aim if you have no skills with the weapon, and it takes a while for your reticule to shrink,... I'm really afraid that some non-gamer is making some dumb calls to change the game to for the 'better' by 'improving' stuff in the design that should not be changed.

One of my main gripes with Mass Effect, it was waaaaay too easy to play. Point at target, hold trigger, let auto aim do work for you.

I want a difficult game, ffs. If they are indeed making it easier, I hope they keep a difficult setting.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

The pre-order cancellation itself makes sense - they buy something else from the money and re-pre-order ( :lol: ) AP when it's nearing the deadline.

As for the crying...yeah. If a *gasp* delay is enough to make them shout "Devs are punks, I won't buy it anymore", then why the "looking for to it" talk? Shut up, sit down, and keep yourselves occupied till it comes folks.

I can't figure out if this guy is serious or not.

It's a bummer it's been delayed, but as someone else pointed out there's no shortage of interesting games coming out in the next 6 months. That said Obsidian and/or Sega really handled this delay poorly.

Edited by zlarm

*tear*

I guess either A)it absolutely blows (I hope not) B)Sega wants to clear room for some other game this holiday or C)Sega somehow thinks that early next year is somehow better. Sega does realize that ths delay puts AP in direct competiton with its major rival as a shooter-RPG (mass 2) right?

Damn, what am I supposed to play for the rest of the year?

At least we won't need TAPRP. :lol:

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

As for the crying...yeah. If a *gasp* delay is enough to make them shout "Devs are punks, I won't buy it anymore", then why the "looking for to it" talk? Shut up, sit down, and keep yourselves occupied till it comes folks.

Yeah, some people act like children. Hopefully there's more your lives than Alpha Protocol and you can continue on without it.

*tear*

I guess either A)it absolutely blows (I hope not) B)Sega wants to clear room for some other game this holiday or C)Sega somehow thinks that early next year is somehow better. Sega does realize that ths delay puts AP in direct competiton with its major rival as a shooter-RPG (mass 2) right?

At least we won't need TAPRP. :lol:

I think Splinter Cell: Convition would be a more direct competitor. Most people probably won't see any of the gameplay when they grab the box from the shelves.

Edited by Purkake

Heh, so sega.co.uk still lists October 2009, and sega america has the spring 2010...

How many more days before everyone has the same date I wonder....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I think Splinter Cell: Convition would be a more direct competitor. Most people probably won't see any of the gameplay when they grab the box from the shelves.

Maybe. In that case, it'll be even worse, because most people have heard of Splinter Cell, but few people, outside of the hardcore RPG-ites, who won't look at the box anyway, have heard of AP, so they'll probably go for SCC.

turn off brain and play borderlands, that's what i'll do.

:lol: Good choice.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Maybe. In that case, it'll be even worse, because most people have heard of Splinter Cell, but few people, outside of the hardcore RPG-ites, who won't look at the box anyway, have heard of AP, so they'll probably go for SCC.

Yup, and SCC will probably be pretty good as well, from what we've seen.

Oh, I don't think it will "harm" the literature in any way. I just find it stupid to take a classic piece of literature as your source material and then make a game vaguely referencing to it every now and then. If it were just GoW-clone #52, I couldn't care less, but since they are actually claiming to "bring the literature to a new audience", I am somewhat annoyed.

The game itself might end up being super special awesome, but then it would be just as awesome without the source material.

Just because I like something, doesn't mean I want a game based on that. Would you want a Schindler's List game? Maybe it could be a platformer?

Of course I would not want a game based on Schindler's List, as it does not lend itself to such an adaption, whereas the 9 circles of hell from The Inferno seems like quite the natural fit for 9 levels in a game, as loosely based as it is. As far as bringing the literature to a new audience, I think what they meant was that maybe playing this game will actually get individuals to read The Divine Comedy. Which of course would only be doing the work a service in that sense, and would serve as a tribute to the lasting and far reaching impact the work still has to this day.

In reality it's probably going to end up more like this:

-Hey I just read The Divine Comedy!

-You mean the game? Yeah those boob-monsters were pretty awesome!

-*facepalm*

Would anything that has a distinct number of different-themed levels make a good video game? DnD mostly lifted the 9 circles of hell concept as well. If they just wanted that why change Dante the poet into some kind of crazy scythe-wielding maniac? They could have had their own characters in a Divine Comedy-inspired setting.

Edited by Purkake