So, Is this game delayed or not?

i guess i agree. I don't like ten years of waiting for a game, even if it is really good, but I also don't want 10 mediocre games instead of it.

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Maybe this is why.....

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/01/ex-midwa...-sega/#comments

Ex-Midway guy named VP of sales for Sega

Sega of America enthusiastically announced today the hiring of Brad Wildes as senior vice president of sales at the publisher. According to the company's press release, Wildes brings 15 years of "successful management experience" to the job. Skills he acquired at Microsoft, Mattel, Konami and, most recently, Midway Home Entertainment.

Yes, Wildes' most recent gig was as VP of sales for North America and Asia at Midway, where he -- according to Sega, once again -- "successfully managed such titles as Mortal Kombat; Game Party; the Unreal franchise and NBA Ballers."

Midway is dead, friends, due in large part to low sales numbers for major franchises. Our definition of "successful" is obviously slightly different from that of Sega of America's.

And to top it off all of you who speak about how a delay is a good thing? Does anyone remember a game called Mercenaries 2?

That game was delayed due to EA feeling the need to hold back and perhaps make more money and it was a whole year of a delay just about like Alpha Protocol and the worst part?

There was a lot in the game that they took out of the final product due to the delay? Less stuff = better? I think not... and look how that game turned out? A delay did not make a bit of difference.

I liked the game... but the co-op sucked and to be honest it could of been better. So not always delaying something is a good thing... it may be worse and to add even more to the fire no word from the developer and publisher on why the reason for the sudden change in release date is not good. The longer you hold out the worst off it can be in some cases such as this.

Yeah, just got done playing a little bit of No one lives forever a few minutes ago.

That's one game along with the sequel that need to be remade for Xbox live arcade.

To bad the same can't happen for Goldeneye.... the chances of that are liking living to see Duke Nukem forever being made available to own.

And to top it off all of you who speak about how a delay is a good thing? Does anyone remember a game called Mercenaries 2?

That game was delayed due to EA feeling the need to hold back and perhaps make more money and it was a whole year of a delay just about like Alpha Protocol and the worst part?

There was a lot in the game that they took out of the final product due to the delay? Less stuff = better? I think not... and look how that game turned out? A delay did not make a bit of difference.

I liked the game... but the co-op sucked and to be honest it could of been better. So not always delaying something is a good thing... it may be worse and to add even more to the fire no word from the developer and publisher on why the reason for the sudden change in release date is not good. The longer you hold out the worst off it can be in some cases such as this.

Mercenaries was a stinker from the beginning judging from the demo I played. Content not withstanding, the core game play and interaction with the game world felt floaty and just "off." I've got $50 that says anything cut from the game was content far too ambitious for the obviously inexperienced programmers they had assigned to the project (translation: it was cut because it didn't work or caused problems in other aspects of code deemed far more necessary).

Nobody cuts operational content out of their game just for kicks. Nobody.

NOLF will remain the only true spy game anyway...

Covert Action. One of my favourite games ever.

I feel old. o:)

Heh, some of us remember playing text based Infocom games so don't feel so bad. I never did play Covert Action but I remember Xenophobe (also by Microprose). Man, that was a killer title..

Edited by Anarchosyn

I think the idea of sitting on a finished game is still a very rare occurrence. The only one I can think of is Bloodlines.

Not sure you could call that sitting on a finished game, since they were contractually prevented from releasing it before Half-Life 2?

Must have been the worst engine licensing deal ever made, though.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Not that Bloodlines was exactly finished until few patches later...

Ahh, the joy of the level that wouldn't transition unless you opened the console up and made it do so... Nostalgia kicks in.

Still, apart from those few buggy points.. it was a good game

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So, I have been reading this forum for the past few days and I have been wondering why Sega would not disclose an official announcement about the delay. Then I thought, if I was a spy why would I disclose my plan. I would use misinformation, lies, and silence to through off my assailents. So maybe Sega is doing just that. Maybe this is either:

1) A huge advertising scheme getting all the retailers to come up with false dates to get a huge angry mob aware of this game. For me I know its all i have been talking about for the last week. I have had several friends who knew nothing about AP to now be on the bandwagon.

2) An embarrassing acknowledgment that the game was rushed, and has a few horrible game glitches

3) A scheme to make more money when the market seems better to release such a title as AP

4) An embarrassing acknowledgment that the game was a complete failure and will be shelved indefinitely

In any case, the continuation of this feed is just adding to the speculation and misinformation feed to use through Sega. We can sit and talk about it all we want, but in the end we are no closer to figuring out what the heck is going on.

So, I have been reading this forum for the past few days and I have been wondering why Sega would not disclose an official announcement about the delay. Then I thought, if I was a spy why would I disclose my plan. I would use misinformation, lies, and silence to through off my assailents. So maybe Sega is doing just that. Maybe this is either:

1) A huge advertising scheme getting all the retailers to come up with false dates to get a huge angry mob aware of this game. For me I know its all i have been talking about for the last week. I have had several friends who knew nothing about AP to now be on the bandwagon.

2) An embarrassing acknowledgment that the game was rushed, and has a few horrible game glitches

3) A scheme to make more money when the market seems better to release such a title as AP

4) An embarrassing acknowledgment that the game was a complete failure and will be shelved indefinitely

In any case, the continuation of this feed is just adding to the speculation and misinformation feed to use through Sega. We can sit and talk about it all we want, but in the end we are no closer to figuring out what the heck is going on.

Maybe sega do not talk because the try to reach the october limit.... if the can't.... in november they should talk about a new date... all seem to indicate that they try to release the game as fast as they can.

Even a delay is better than nothing. Just answer, is it delayed or no?

Wild guess: They haven't made up their mind as to the length of the delay, and won't announce anything until they have.

Edited by Gorth
Trimmed the quote

Even a delay is better than nothing. Just answer, is it delayed or no?

Wild guess: They haven't made up their mind as to the length of the delay, and won't announce anything until they have.

Then why can't they just say : "Sorry, the game won't come out in October 6th, we'll be announcing the new release date later."

Edited by Gorth
Trimmed the quote
bo2honau2csr9e70g28.png

Then why can't they just say : "Sorry, the game won't come out in October 6th, we'll be announcing the new release date later."

Because it's obvious? :lol:

I'm agreeing with Purkake here.

Because it's obvious? :lol:

I'm agreeing with Purkake here.

Currently it is pretty obvious, but it just shows that they don't care about the people, who are eagerly waiting for AP.

At least Operation Flashpoint is coming out this week.

bo2honau2csr9e70g28.png

I'm pretty sure they don't care about people, period. It's a company after all...

For all companies are evil. Some are just more evil then others.. :lol:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hey all,

Sorry that we've been quiet this week. Hopefully everyone understands that we (Obsidian) can't talk about this much at this point, one way or the other. Just wanted to say that we appreciate your patience, and that hopefully we'll be able to talk about all this at some point soon.

Sorry it sounds like things may have hit a rough patch. It must be very frustrating for all of you at Obsidian. I hope it works out well for y'all soon. I'm still looking forward to it, as I have been for some time now.

All the best,

Shimarenda

There's also a practical reason, the goal for all for-profit companies is to generate profit. Just like other constructs they don't have to deal with pretty emotions, morals or ethics, just the laws.

Edited by Purkake

It doesn't have anything to do with 'emotions' or 'ethics' of companies, it has to do with customer support which is a large part of business. Disseminating appropriate information to the public and keeping customers and potential customers happy is part of customer support.

Sega, for whatever reason(s), either doesn't think the release date information is appropriate to release at this time, which to me feels like it's a disservice to fans, or they just aren't very good at this aspect of customer support. After the lack of updates on their own websites, which shows poor internal communication, and what happened previously with the silence around the Aliens RPG game I'm hedging my bets on the latter.

Unless they announce a firm release date, everyone will still be at the forums saying: "It isn't coming out Oct 09? When then?" which in their mind is the same as what we're seeing now.

Even if they announce a delay, people won't say: "Thanks for letting us know," but instead: "Waaah! It's delayed? **** you!"

I'm not taking sides, I'm just saying: why should they?

Companies should be taking lessons from Blizzard on this issue... Just don't ever announce release dates!

Edited by Grunker

Companies should be taking lessons from Blizzard on this issue... Just don't ever announce release dates!

The Apple model would be even awesomer, announce it when it's ready and release it in a few weeks after that.

@LostStraw, how is it customer support if you are not a customer yet? SEGA gets nothing from preorders, all that money goes to the retailer.

@LostStraw, how is it customer support if you are not a customer yet? SEGA gets nothing from preorders, all that money goes to the retailer.

If you want strict definitions I suppose it would fall under the purview of marketing instead of customer support for potential customers. As for pre-orders, there's a good reason they are pushed and marketed by publishers. Retailers use pre-order data to determine how many copies to purchase. Poor pre-orders also means the game wont get as much shelf space or retailer advertising.

@Grunker I see your point about the possible release date conundrums. I can only really argue about how I feel about the silence since I don't have any studies to back me up. I actually like Blizzards strategy about release dates. I also like that despite how tight lipped they are on that aspect they're (currently) very open on the development of their games.