So, Is this game delayed or not?

The vast majority of the previews were positive, if not glowing. I don't know what sega is thinking.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Per Sega's demands, they're adding in the option to play as Michelle Thorton, so they need to re-write and re-record 90% of the speech, new models, new dialogue options, character customizations, same-sex romances, etc. That and online co-op. And leaderboards. And vehicles. Ground, air, and sea. And a DS port.
And a Collect All Sonic Figurines game.

Per Sega's demands, they're adding in the option to play as Michelle Thorton, so they need to re-write and re-record 90% of the speech, new models, new dialogue options, character customizations, same-sex romances, etc. That and online co-op. And leaderboards. And vehicles. Ground, air, and sea. And a DS port.
And a Collect All Sonic Figurines game.

When will Sega realize that sonic would be better off dead?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

If Sega decides to cancel Alpha Protocol I think it would be best that no deveoloper ever works with them again. They can go off the way of Interplay.
Normally I'd agree, but that would mean somewhere out there exists another Herve Caen.

If Sega decides to cancel Alpha Protocol I think it would be best that no deveoloper ever works with them again. They can go off the way of Interplay.
Normally I'd agree, but that would mean somewhere out there exists another Herve Caen.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

So far as I can see the possibilities are:

1) It actually isn't delayed and the release date change is due to ??? (eg rumour cascade everyone assumes [site] has the good oil and changes date when in fact [site] made a 06/10 -- 10/06 type typo, or just added a placeholder)- Moderately likely, especially as some very major sites still list an October release. If Sega's silence stretches into the new week then (2) becomes more likely.

2) It is delayed due to one or more of: bugs, content additions, missed release window, concern with competition, unavailability of fabrication plants, strategic financial reasons, ie generally 'internal' reasons.

2a) It is delayed due to console certification or other 'rating' issues

3) It is being canceled (highly unlikely), onsold (may be possible, though it seems unlikely, Sega US does have some fairly major financial problems though) or entering an Aliens: Colonial Marines type holding pattern (hopefully not and seems unlikely)

Basically it's all speculation at this stage. But certainly, and importantly, a cancellation seems very unlikely. I'd personally be very surprised at an eight month delay as well.

Interesting. Wonder how long it will take Sega to update their page. After Oct 6th passes, then whatever date they put up will be the real one, I would think. Wonder how many e-mails they're gonna get about it as the days go by and they haven't updated. Of course, if they update before the 6th, it's all moot, heh.

EDIT: FWIW steam still has it listed as an Oct 2009 release on its store page.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I wonder if what is going on is an internal SEGA vs. Obsidian thing. SEGA may want to push the game out to try and compete with the heavy holiday game market, while Obsidian remembers being pushed to fulfill a release date before (KOTOR 2) and having the game, while still good, not be as great as it could have been with proper delays, testing, and the actual product being totally finished.

Clearly, the feedback from these forums is being taken into account and SEGA is making Obsidian be sure that there is no DRM, no GFWL, no plastic man appearance, correcting all the spelling errors of Thorton's name in the code, correcting latin translations, adding trigger discipline, and many other things mentioned throughout the forum :D

While delays may be a good thing for a product, I'm still concerned that Obsidian may have some problems distributing manpowers across the other projects. Games like New Vegas may face issues due to being unable to pool in more people from Alpha Protocol project which in turn might also get delayed or suffer from quality issues if due next year.

I'm not sure how it would affect the unannounced project though since it will occur in the long run.

Delayed another year or so? In that case, i'll get it by then.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy