Huge Confederate Flag to Fly Over Tampa

Guard Dog

Just because you're free to offend people doesn't mean that you should. If they wish to do honour to the men who fought in a specific tone, surely a statue would be a subtler way to do it?

Hopefully as grist to the mill: how would people feel if the 'sons of loyalty' decided to fly a whopping 160 ft Union Jack in Boston?

They would probably pull in wondering where the new British Pub was! :sorcerer:

Eeeexcelleent. All is proceeding as I have forseen it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I wonder what it is though, this movement to reintroduce the confederate flag. This is not the first stunt of this kind.

Several hundred years ago the south fought on the wrong side in the defining war of the country. That's not something to be ashamed of on it's own, but slavery is, and to most people the confederate flag says 'racism' much in the same instant recognition fashion that the Jolly Roger says 'pirates'.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Several hundred years ago the south fought on the wrong side in the defining war of the country. That's not something to be ashamed of on it's own, but slavery is, and to most people the confederate flag says 'racism' much in the same instant recognition fashion that the Jolly Roger says 'pirates'.

Actually, I read recently the the Royal Navy flies the skull and crossbones every time it returns from patrol with a 'win'. :sorcerer:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Somehow I'm not able to comment on this (or even concur with an American commenting on it) without making taks' 'patriotic' blood boil like a Chinese nationalist eavesdropping on a conversation about the deplorable nature of the Tainanmen Square Massacre. :sorcerer:

Why does it have the EU flag on it?

Hmmmm. Isn't the EU supposed to be a union of sovereign states loosley organized under a weak central government? Isn't that by definition.... a confederacy? :sorcerer:

Oh dear :x

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Actually, I read recently the the Royal Navy flies the skull and crossbones every time it returns from patrol with a 'win'. :)

Only the submersible branch I believe. :ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

They have been talking forever about a common EU foreign policy and an 'EU army'. A foreign policy representing 27 countries, that would be about as useful for getting things done as the United Nations. It's never going to happen. The EU is about trade, although the political dimension also means giving up a sizable chunk of independence.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

If that was my flagpole I know what flag I would fly:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I wonder what it is though, this movement to reintroduce the confederate flag. This is not the first stunt of this kind.

It's a reaction to the removal of the confederate flag from public places. You don't understand southern culture at all, it has nothing to do with slavery, it's "us against the yankees", kind of "red states/blue states". My high shool is still called "The Rebels", they may not use the confederate flag anymore but they did when I went there in the 80's, and the mascot was "Johnny Reb".

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Ohh I'm well aware they don't fly the flag to support slavery or racism, it's a statement of identity. A lot of people are very offended by it though, it's divisive even in the south, and the confederacy does have something to do with slavery. With all that you might be tempted to ask, why bother.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Far as I know the EU army's a paper construction. You only have to look at our colelague's commitment to supporting action in Afghanistan to see how bloody useless we'd be as a political entity.

-Elwood Blues

It'd be cooler if it was another giant flag, but heh, I wouldn't mind.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Ohh I'm well aware they don't fly the flag to support slavery or racism, it's a statement of identity. A lot of people are very offended by it though, it's divisive even in the south, and the confederacy does have something to do with slavery. With all that you might be tempted to ask, why bother.

Because people get really pissed when someone tries to take away their identity, and shove their own values down their throats. Having said that, I think the guys in Tampa are being unnecessarily "in your face" confrontational, it doesn't hurt to take other people's sensitivities into account.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan