Huge Confederate Flag to Fly Over Tampa

Guard Dog

The i's are dotted, t's are crossed and a 139-foot flagpole is ready to fly the Stars and Bars over one of the busiest highway interchanges in Florida.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans in Tampa plan soon to raise what they claim is the world's largest Confederate flag on a private triangle of land tucked near where Interstates 75 and 4 meet. The flag measures 50 feet by 30 feet.

John Adams, commander of the organization's Florida division, has spearheaded the flag project, which includes plans for an accompanying memorial park. And he wants to make sure that the only objections the group faces are based on opinion, not the law.

"You're going to hear some complaints about it for sure," Adams said. "But it's a free country as far as I know."

To some, particularly across many Southern states, the rebel flag represents a rich heritage that includes fighting and dying for the Confederate cause during the Civil War. To others, the flag represents dark memories attached to slavery and racial inequality.

One of those people is Curtis Stokes, president of the NAACP in Hillsborough County, who hopes that a groundswell of opposition to raising the flag might convince the Sons of Confederate Veterans to reconsider.

That's an unlikely scenario, according to Adams. Nearly a decade ago, the 220 members in the state's Sons of Confederate Veterans group launched a project called "Flags Across Florida" in response to a decision by state officials to remove the Confederate flag from a place of prominence near the state capitol in Tallahassee.

Excerpt, rest is here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=4978568&page=1

I'm curious what everyone here thinks. I expect the non-US types here will find the whole controversy a little silly (and they would be right) but I've never met an American who did not have an opinion on this issue. Does anyone actually find the "Confederate Flag" offensive?

Personally, they bought the land and built the pole, they can fly whatever flag they please but I'm curious about one thing, if you want to fly the Confederate flag, why are they not doing it? Thats right, the St. Andrews Cross flag was never the flag of the CSA. This was:

If you want to honor history, be historical. I have a feeling these guys are just trying to get a rise out of everyone. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

They may flag as much as they want. The burden of a free society is that you have to put up with opinions that you do not want to see or hear. Otherwise you are the very tyrant that you despise.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Doesn't bother me. However, if it was a Mexican flag or something I would be offended.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Okay, I admit I know jack about CSA flags, but the article does mention the "Stars and Bars" flag. And according to Wiki, the Stars and Bars is the flag you posted - not St. Andrew's Cross or whatever.

edit: I'm an idiot. I hadn't checked the link, just read the excerpt you postred.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Okay, I admit I know jack about CSA flags, but the article does mention the "Stars and Bars" flag. And according to Wiki, the Stars and Bars is the flag you posted - not St. Andrew's Cross or whatever.

Thats the problem, too many people don't know what X flag really is and would not recognize the real one if it fell on them. Heck i nearly got into a fight once because I told a guy (redneck type) that the flag in his truck window was not the real thing.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Personally, they bought the land and built the pole, they can fly whatever flag they please but I'm curious about one thing, if you want to fly the Confederate flag, why are they not doing it? Thats right, the St. Andrews Cross flag was never the flag of the CSA. This was:

If you want to honor history, be historical. I have a feeling these guys are just trying to get a rise out of everyone. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

The "Confederate Battle Flag" (a combination of the actually used Confederate battle flag's colors on the second confederate naval jack design) became a symbol of the south and the confederacy after the civil war, supplanting the original flags in representing "rebels" and "the confederacy".

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just because you're free to offend people doesn't mean that you should. If they wish to do honour to the men who fought in a specific tone, surely a statue would be a subtler way to do it?

Hopefully as grist to the mill: how would people feel if the 'sons of loyalty' decided to fly a whopping 160 ft Union Jack in Boston?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Why does it have the EU flag on it?

*flag*

Lulz :ermm:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I can see why people would get upset. Hell, if someone hung a Nazi flag where I live, there'd be a line to assault them... But really, it's a flag, and as soon as they put it up, it'll be torn down in a riot in all probability.

:ermm:

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I probably wouldn't be bothered by it. I see enough of the damn things every day to be used to them. I wouldn't fly it in my yard but it's their property, they can do what they want.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

None of you noticed that before?

The original US flag also had a circle of stars on it.

I can't imagine they're the only ones.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just because you're free to offend people doesn't mean that you should. If they wish to do honour to the men who fought in a specific tone, surely a statue would be a subtler way to do it?

Hopefully as grist to the mill: how would people feel if the 'sons of loyalty' decided to fly a whopping 160 ft Union Jack in Boston?

They would probably pull in wondering where the new British Pub was! :p

Thomas Sowell

eulogo.gif

Hmmmm. Isn't the EU supposed to be a union of sovereign states loosley organized under a weak central government? Isn't that by definition.... a confederacy? :p

Thomas Sowell

The confederate flag is perceived completely differently by white southerners and by blacks. To whites it's a symbol of southern pride and history, to blacks a symbol of racism. Whites perceive the campaign to remove the flag from all public places as a slap in the face and react accordingly, blacks see any attempt to fly the flag as a slap in the face.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

To whites it's a symbol of southern pride and history...

Maybe to some... Personally I'd rather not see it except in a historical context -id est a museum or reenactment- as it's not something that people should be celebrating - it was a dark part of American history and should be treated as such. :aiee:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

oh... wait. i forgot. krezack saw a couple of michael moore films. that and he stayed in a holiday in express somewere once. therefore he clearly should be recognized on all things US.

taks

comrade taks... just because.