There is no free speech in Finland

Meshugger

No, there should not. Why should some opinions be censored? If I hate Jews, why do I have to hide myself? Aren't there safeguards in place to prevent hate speech from becoming hate crimes? Or does censoring hateful opinions somehow solve the problem (of hate)?

What good is censorship, anyway?

Okay. One-third of all teenagers who commit suicide are gay, but gays make up at most 10% of the teenage population. If you were a teacher at a high school, would you let your students call a gay student a ****, or talk about how homosexuals are unnatural and will burn in hell?

I believe in free speech. I also believe that people have a right to a living environment where they

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I heard on the radio the reason people in the North countries suffer from depression is because there's not enough sun and thus they suffer from a vitamin D deficiency. So if you take a vitamin D supplement you'll feel better.

Well, right now we are entering a period of November, December and January, in where we get about 6-4 hours of daylight. So yeah. On the other hand, in summers, the sun never completely sets for us.

Mittsommernacht-in-helsinki.jpg

This is Helsinki at midnight in June (I guess). So we're pretty much happy in May, June and July. Wake up anytime you want, the sun's still in the sky. However, slowly the nights will get dark again. And then suddenly the mornings and evenings are dark. And then... if you work or go to school, you'll never see the sun. And even if you're unemployed, those couple hours of dim daylight won't do anything good to you either. Because in December, the daylight sun is always the evening sun. It's like the winter is judging your soul, to see if you have enough life strength and willpower to be worthy enough to see the sun again.

However, I think it's just not the sun but also our puritanical background. The Scandi's have a lutheran background themselves, that much I know but I'm not certain, but estonians got a pretty thorough workout by puritans (herrnhuterians) in 18th century, which ****ed up our psyche big time. I think it's safe to assume that the Scandi's got a similar puritanical workout. We are all wonderfully non-religious now, there ain't probably a more secular region in the world, but puritanism still has a large influence on us. You don't have to be religious to be ****ed up by puritanism. Technically, the puritans were an anglo sect, but the herrnhuterians were pretty much the same thing. All that "happiness is a sin against God" mentality. And so the sons of our great-great-grandfathers passed that inability to be happy to us. Add that cultural baggage with a fickle sun and lots of drinking... and you've got yourself a killer suicidal coctail. At least my theory. Perhaps it's just the sun. The Scandi's can offer their own theories to correct me, if they wish.

Enough with the dancing clown.

Okay. One-third of all teenagers who commit suicide are gay, but gays make up at most 10% of the teenage population. If you were a teacher at a high school, would you let your students call a gay student a ****, or talk about how homosexuals are unnatural and will burn in hell?

I believe in free speech. I also believe that people have a right to a living environment where they

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.