Quick Fallout 2 question

Lare Kikkeli

What unofficial patch is the best, e.g. adds the least ****ty new features and just fixes bugs? Haven't kept up with the Fallout modding scene in a while so any other good fixes/mods that don't change too much and are of high quality would be welcome as well.

Killaps unofficial patch + Fallout restoration project looks pretty solid, anyone tried those mods?

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

The only thing you really need is Killap's restoration project, it includes the Killap's unofficial patch. It is still on development so there are still things Killap is not happy with, so you might want to wait 1.3. Or use only the unofficial patch to get only bug fixes. Killap's unofficial patch wipes the floor with other patches.

Then there is sfall. It adds support for dx9, eliminating completely the treaded black screen, and other things.

You also might want the high resolution patch. I haven't tried that.

And of course the childrens patch if you have UK Fallout 2.

If you use both restoration project and a newer version sfall than what comes with the restoration project, you need to do something with a .ini file. Don't know what, you need to look that up at NMA.

Edited by Slinky

Yeah, that's pretty much all you need. Be sure to install the "NPC armor mod" component included in Killap's restoration patch, as well. It's pretty sweet.

Get1.gif

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Is the high-res mod stable now? Last time I tried it a few years ago like half of the areas were bugged and it crashed every 10 minutes.

You are probably talking about the original Hi-res patch, which was crap. The patch from Mash is apparently 100% stable. There is some minor things, like the dialog screen is not full screen, but people seem to use it without any troubles.

Alright I've run into a new problem. None of the guns do any damage! I installed the restoration project, it must have been some component of it. How do I disable this? The fights take freaking forever, no one is doing any damage except with criticals.

Can't you do damage to anyone, or just people with metal armor? I think there is some weapon damage mod in RP, which changes how bullets work on different armors, meaning basically that you need AP rounds for metal armor. You shouldn't install it if you ask me.

Alright I've run into a new problem. None of the guns do any damage! I installed the restoration project, it must have been some component of it. How do I disable this? The fights take freaking forever, no one is doing any damage except with criticals.

Can't you do damage to anyone, or just people with metal armor? I think there is some weapon damage mod in RP, which changes how bullets work on different armors, meaning basically that you need AP rounds for metal armor. You shouldn't install it if you ask me.

0 to metal armor, 0-2 to leather armor. The 10mm is basically useless, and even the magnum or hunting rifle does 5-8 damage tops. All melee weapons do no damage whatsoever to leather or metal armor. Does this mean if I want the battles to last less than 20 minutes each I need to uninstall the Restoration Project?

Thats such a retarded feature that I can't even begin to understand why anyone would think it's a good thing. Make AP make more damage against armor? Sure. Make HP, melee and lower tier small guns in general useless? ****ing retarded.

Actually, it does. I'm guessing Lare either ran into a bug or is having trouble with the "AP ammo damage fix" component of the patch. (Un)install that and see what happens?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I did install that, and now looking through the readmes theres no mention how to uninstall it. Annoying.

Did you try to run the installer and see does it give the option to uninstall? If it doesn't, I guess you need to reinstall Fallout 2 :ermm:

• 3 months later...