PS3

Fionavar

Well I think I am finally going to get a console and it seems the PS3 is it. I am wondeirng if people who are using the console also as a mdeia hub could share if they are doing the following and, if so, what their experience is. I am going to buy an external HDD (probably 1TB) and then connect it to a USB port on the PS3, in order to access MP3s, photos and such. This way it allows for the media to be portable and accessible to other stations (i.e. notebooks). My question is: Is anyone doing this? How is the performance? Glitches? Challenges to this approach?

Thanks, ahead of time, for anyone's input!

F

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Where's the love, bro? You would have thought at least some of the PS3 haters would have responded. :aiee: lol

Anyhow, I can't really comment because I don't own any of the three latest gen consoles. However, I have played the Xbox-360 and I would probably own one if I could use the controler worth a damn. The Wii is suprisingly fun. Yeah, it's got a lot of kiddie games, but it has some fun stuff too. Mind you, I wouldn't buy one and I can use the controler, but I understand why some folks are attracted to it. Let us know what you decide to purschase. ;)

The PS3 is fully compliant with the USB standard and the XMB (or whatever the OS in the PS3 is called) is just a Linux variant, so I see no reason why it would not work perfectly. My cousin is using his PS3 as a media hub, but he streams all his movies to it from his computer via an Apple Airport wifi. No problems whatsoever. Showing pictures is a breeze, and fully automatic (I think it automatically finds your photos as soon as you connect something and adds it to the built in photo viewer).

I'm not sure he's ever tried connecting his external USB HDD to it though.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Thanks mkreku,

I know from my googling it should work and does - my real concern is whether the PS3 is able to Group music according to Artist and such when it is not on the internal HDD. Apparently the OS does not like directories so you have to ensure your directory structure on an external is like that on the internal.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: