What is the best multi-player game ever

Monte Carlo

Quite a simple question, the floor is open to all games with a multiplayer, co-op or MMORPG. I know it's a big, diverse area and there's a bit of apples and oranges comparison, but if you were to play a 'puter game with friends which one would it be?

I generally respect the judgement of forum members here for their good taste, so the results should be interesting. Let the discussion begin.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Gosh, there are so many it's hard to choose.

In college, I'd have to say Goldeneye was my favorite game. We would have 4-player matches on the N64 for hours at a time. I used to take it to the common area of our dorm and we'd have crowds of 30 people watching.

Asheron's Call was my first real MMO love, and I will always look back on that fondly. It was the first time I developed friendships with people online. I still wonder what happened to those guys, I hope they are all doing well.

Based on how long I played 'em.

World of Warcraft

Team Fortress Classic

Asheron's Call

Quakeworld Team Fortress

Don't like to play multiplayer games too seriously anymore as I get older, my skills get worse and worse. During the quakeworld days I could do alright in difficult clan matches, but these days topping public servers is good enough for me.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Probably Left 4 Dead.. It's the best Co-op I've ever played at least.

Other than that Tribes II, Call of Duty (with United Offensive)/Call of Duty 4 or maybe even Starcraft.. that counts right? :)

Fortune favors the bald.

^ Sure, people are still playing online Starcraft, right?

The reason I ask the question is that it's a mysterious area of gaming for me but I'd like to try. The only game I ever really played online was NWN1 which was surprisingly good fun.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Even though I have never played it the stories you get from EVE seems to be a step up from everything else.

It's spreadsheet managing action at its best.

The 4 part series on Rock Paper Shotgun about one of the editors time in EvE gives a very different view of things

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/03...part-4-the-end/

^ Sure, people are still playing online Starcraft, right?

The reason I ask the question is that it's a mysterious area of gaming for me but I'd like to try. The only game I ever really played online was NWN1 which was surprisingly good fun.

Cheers

MC

Playing Starcraft 1 online might not be a best idea. The Korean people pretty much destroy everyone nowadays.

The 4 part series on Rock Paper Shotgun about one of the editors time in EvE gives a very different view of things

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/03...part-4-the-end/

I was (mostly) joking. Try the free trial to get a general idea of EVE. It's fun, but you still manage spreadsheets from time to time.

Edited by Purkake

The only multiplayer game I've enjoyed for a longer period of time was World of Warcraft. But that was despite the people, not because of them.

I guess I'm just not a multiplayer.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

bubblebobbleflyer2.jpg

Edit: After that, it would probably be Battlefield 1942

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't even particularly like FPS games that much, but I think I would have to say Battlefield 1942. The game is just fun as hell, and the dynamics between infantry, land vehicles, airplanes and naval power (not as much, but still) is just really cool.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

In no particular order:

Massive lan parties (ala 30+ people):

Battlefield 1942

Battlefield Vietnam

Quake 3 (and its spinoffs) and UT Somethings

Small Lan Parties (3,4 chaps):

Worms (2, Armageddon)

Street Fighter 2 and other old fighting games (Love the mode where the winner gets to kick a shot of tequila then faces a new challanger :D)

Trine hotseat

Any passable FPS on harder than hardest difficulty, hotseat

Home alone on the net:

LFD

Diablo 2

WoW (Haven't personally played SWG or EvE so cant say much. WaR was not up to it)

CoD WaR

Wolfenstein

TF2

(From the old days) Tribes

Fallout Tactics

Probably missed a lot of fun generators but this is it for now :ermm:

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.