so pissed at Obsidian

I registered here for the sole purpose of saying the following:

After games like KOTOR2 and NWN2 we're suddenly stuck with being unable to choose what sex to play? That's an enormous step backwards, and I don't think there can be a serious enough reason for it. I think Obsidian just ignores the obvious wants of modern players.

It's no secret that abovementioned games were popular among ladies, and I'm sure that being able to play as one had a lot to do with it. And now I, as somebody who was waiting for another great game have no choice but to play as a man. Damn sure for you men it's not important, but playing as a man just can't feel as great as playing as a woman! It's impossible, it can never feel the same, it can't be as engrossing under any circumstances. So I wasn't interested enough in the game after that to find out more info about it, but if there are romances in it, then it's going to feel boring like hell. I'm not intersted in chicks, see? And I'm not interested in having a male name and being referred to as a man, not interested in having a male back story, not interesed in scantily-clad females that I'm sure will be somewhere in this male-oriented game. Where's some content that would appeal to me, why is it all done for others and I'm ignored this time? Why am I denied the right to derive as much enjoyment from playing the game as other players? I'm disappointed with such an unexpected change of attitude after KOTOR2 and NWN2, and my disappointment couldn't be worse. Obsidian deliberately chose to ignore the female portion of its fans.

So obviously there's only one thing that can be done. They say we all vote with our purses. So that's it, I will NOT buy this game. Despite my suspicions that it might come out as something like Deus Ex but better (which was one of my favourite games). I thought that I was a freak before and so I didn't come here earlier with this, but lately I met other girls online who thought in the very same way, disappointed with Obsidian and not interested in buying this new game.

Way to go. People who would otherwise buy the game aren't buying it. I don't know if that can make Obsidian care in future, probably not, after all they chose to ignore their female playerbase on purpose and not accidentally. But then I'll return the favor and now I'm ignoring Obsidian's games, too.

P.S. Nobody has to reply to my post, I am not coming back here.

It's been brought up before.

I tend to agree that not allowing a choice of sex for the pc is a bit off-putting, but if the developers want to pick a specific sex (or race or whatever) for the protagonist that they are constructing the game around, that seems to me perfectly within their right.

Just like it is within your right to not buy the game as well.

If the developers feel that they want the main player character to be X, such as in Deus Ex or NOLF, and they allow X to develop as an interesting character, ultimately I think the sex (or race or whatever) of said character becomes somewhat irrelevant.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

...well...guess this b*tch didna enjoy Planescape: Torment either...hmmm, female an' braindead; sounds like an ex o' mine... :lol:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Just in case this isn't deliberate trolling, I'd like to point out the logical inconsistency that Deus Ex was one of your favorite games and also required being a male.

Also, I'd be more sympathetic if people weren't always giving me crap because I don't like playing female characters.

So obviously there's only one thing that can be done. They say we all vote with our purses. So that's it, I will NOT buy this game. Despite my suspicions that it might come out as something like Deus Ex but better (which was one of my favourite games). I thought that I was a freak before and so I didn't come here earlier with this, but lately I met other girls online who thought in the very same way, disappointed with Obsidian and not interested in buying this new game.

Now I know you said you wouldn't be coming back, but just in case you do decide to for whatever reason, the bold part of that post confuses me. You claim to be so disappointed by the lack of a female PC option in this game that you have decided not to buy it. You also (at least at one point) thought that Alpha Protocol would be similar if not better than Deus Ex which you say is one of your favourite games, yet Deus Ex only had the option of a male protagonist as well.

You liked Deus Ex despite this shortcoming and you think that Alpha Protocol might be as good or better. Is there some reason why Deus Ex is given a pass despite not having the option of a female PC, yet Alpha Protocol is not worth spending your money on?

:p

EDIT: Damn. Cl beat me to it while I was reading the OP. :lol:

Edited by Deraldin

After games like KOTOR2 and NWN2 we're suddenly stuck with being unable to choose what sex to play? That's an enormous step backwards, and I don't think there can be a serious enough reason for it. I think Obsidian just ignores the obvious wants of modern players.

No they wanted to create a story around Michael Thorton, not Michael & Michelle Thorton.

Way to go. People who would otherwise buy the game aren't buying it. I don't know if that can make Obsidian care in future, probably not, after all they chose to ignore their female playerbase on purpose and not accidentally. But then I'll return the favor and now I'm ignoring Obsidian's games, too.

I wasn't done because they don't care about there female customers, it was done so they could concerntrate on telling the story of MT. Their Aliens RPG would of had the choice of PC gender, NV will and I bet their future titles will too. Complete overreaction. Not to ignoring AP, that is understandable if you need to play as your gender, but to ignore Obsidian future games is.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

It's no secret that abovementioned games were popular among ladies, and I'm sure that being able to play as one had a lot to do with it. And now I, as somebody who was waiting for another great game have no choice but to play as a man. Damn sure for you men it's not important, but playing as a man just can't feel as great as playing as a woman! It's impossible, it can never feel the same, it can't be as engrossing under any circumstances. So I wasn't interested enough in the game after that to find out more info about it, but if there are romances in it, then it's going to feel boring like hell. I'm not intersted in chicks, see? And I'm not interested in having a male name and being referred to as a man, not interested in having a male back story, not interesed in scantily-clad females that I'm sure will be somewhere in this male-oriented game. Where's some content that would appeal to me, why is it all done for others and I'm ignored this time? Why am I denied the right to derive as much enjoyment from playing the game as other players? I'm disappointed with such an unexpected change of attitude after KOTOR2 and NWN2, and my disappointment couldn't be worse. Obsidian deliberately chose to ignore the female portion of its fans.

lol

Also I should probably do a Rambo on Core/Crystal Dynamics because the ungrateful gits wont make a male Lara Croft. They have been successfully discriminating me for over a decade, and really it has to stop AND I WONT BUY ANOTHER TOMB RAIDER, EVER!

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

While I think the original poster managed to shoot themselves in the foot, they still raise a valid point.

Attempting to rebut this with sexism or outright insults is one of the big reasons I usually avoid gaming related forums. Well done chaps, well done indeed. It's so hard to find good, concrete evidence to support eugenics these days, but you never let me down.

As for the actual issue at hand - I completely understand limiting player character customisation in order to better fit a particular story. This is especially true in context of a game with 120 hours of voice acting. Writing in a female protagonist is going to change too many interpersonal dynamics and require too much of the writers and actors. (It's the same reason why I expect Ashley, Kaiden, and Wrex are going to be largely written out of Mass Effect 2.)

However, the original poster raised a valid point. Our weapon is choice - so long as we choose to have a wang. Michael, not Michelle. I remember when Fable 1 was finally announced for the PC; I told my wife how awesome it was going to be and how we just had to get it because this would be a great roleplaying game where you could really and completely customise your character and play it however you wanted. So long as you wanted to play a dude.

So yeah, I can see why it's necesary from a design point of view (it's Michael Thorton's story; end of the line, no arguements or appeals applicable), but it's not really a choice, now is it?

And Fable 1/2 turned out to be complete sh!t, so you essentially shot yourself in the foot since it shows that character customization has nothing to do with making a great game.

For the thousandth time: developers are not obliged to follow anyone's personal likes and dislikes except their own. If you dont agree with it then dont buy their game.

Choices are always limited, such an irrelevant thing as gender makes no impact on the game at all. Half of the games I played and Ive played hundreds featured female main characters, and you never heard me complain about it.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Also I should probably do a Rambo on Core/Crystal Dynamics because the ungrateful gits wont make a male Lara Croft. They have been successfully discriminating me for over a decade, and really it has to stop AND I WONT BUY ANOTHER TOMB RAIDER, EVER!
There is always Dude Raider sometimes known as Uncharted. Then again thats 3rd person shooter.
And Fable 1/2 turned out to be complete sh!t, ...
Stop right there. Fable 2 may be sh!t but not complete sh!t - it was fun to play. Edited by uzivatel

So now the Bio forum people are coming here to complain now?

It's weird that I never had a problem when forced to play either of the sexes. I don't think Deus Ex or NOLF would have been better if you could choose the sex of the protagonist.

Edited by Purkake

Its the RPG equivalent of lemonade.
True, the game failed on so many levels ... but it was fun nonetheless.
So now the Bio forum people are coming here to complain?
Nah, I get my complaining fix on Bio forum. Edited by uzivatel

So now the Bio forum people are coming here to complain now?

That can't be. I haven't spotted any romance threads yet... :(

This is but a scout, soon they'll be here in full force equipped with romance threads and more complaints.

Edited by Purkake