"Epic Mickey", Warren Spector's Wii Project

Pop

So some stuff has hit the webs and it's speculated they are from Warren Spector's (of Deus Ex fame) new game for the Wii. Junction Point studios was bought out by Disney in 2007.

Looks like they've gone with a horror-steampunk look.

em5goofy_zombie.jpg

em4castle_side02-thumb-620x372-24119.jpg

em11beach_attack-thumb-620x340-24110.jpg

em13beetleworx_6.jpg

em2sea_transport-thumb-620x372-24107.jpg

Read about it here.

I thought that as well, but they don't necessarily have to go violent to be scary. A good chunk of Fantasia is really supposed to be kind of scary (I'd say some of these pics are pretty Fantasia-y), and don't forget that one song from Dumbo that freaked the **** out of you when you were little. Plus Disney already farmed out their most famous characters to the ridiculous Kingdom Hearts series.

Here be the link.

Edited by Pop

This is actually pretty old news from July, I think.

It looks like it could be fun, but the Wii only thing kinda ruins it for me.

Also, Warren Spector could be making something awesome instead, but apparently he's tired of "black trench coats" :)

Edited by Purkake

he's a tool for allowing the destruction of deus ex

either fix the series or do the honorable thing and get to the seppuku...

jk

sort of

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Warren Spector appears to have pretty much followed DW BRadley into oblivion.

Except without making Dungeon LOrds. Yet.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

also, if i remember right, this artwork is really old and is not related to any game in production. i saw an article for it AGES ago that debunked its relations to pretty much anything (no movie no game etc)

i could be remembering wrong, i saw this stuff a while ago

which is too bad, disney-shock might be a fun game

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Yeah, that zombie-goofy art has been around for quite a while.

Was it posted here once before? It's odd that I remember seeing it before since I don't spend much (any) time randomly looking at stuff on the internet.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

he's a tool for allowing the destruction of deus ex

either fix the series or do the honorable thing and get to the seppuku...

jk

sort of

It's not for him to allow or disallow. He's working for a different company and doesn't own the rights to Deus Ex. He made Invisible War, there's nothing left to be destroyed.

Yeah, that zombie-goofy art has been around for quite a while.

Was it posted here once before? It's odd that I remember seeing it before since I don't spend much (any) time randomly looking at stuff on the internet.

I may have posted it to symbolize what the "new" Lucasarts has become.

lucasarts has been a little cool lately, with the re-release of monkey island (now with spiffy art graphics!) and their old adventure games on steam (sans grim fandango and full throttle for some insane reason)

i've got hopes that someone over there is re-thinking what made them a cool company so many years ago

fingers crossed for tie-fighter 2!

oh darn, i thought they were doing it to reignite interest in their products so they could wow us with something genuinely great... im usually too optimistic about this stuff

for example, the second i heard bungie bought their freedom from microsoft i thought "sweet, in two years I'll have a new myth game."

whoops my bad, i should have said a new HALO game...

****ing halo ruining myth forever

Edited by entrerix

• 4 weeks later...

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/..._1253914485.jpg

looks like maybe those concept art things might not have been that far off.

black and white, kinda creepy looking oil dripping down a bumpy bioshock looking metal surface...

I'm now very intrigued

plus the announcement is right before halloween, maybe its going to be something scary and spookycreepy like the concept art?

oooo exciting.

too bad warren spector hasnt made a good game since.... long time?

Edited by entrerix

• 2 weeks later...

epic_mickey_reveal.jpg

Basically it's a Wii platformer in which you have certain power over the environment.

In the gates, barely visible, is Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, a largely forgotten Disney character created about a year before Steamboat Willie made his debut. Reportedly, the game involves you taking on the persona of Oswald, who seeks to dethrone Mickey as the cornerstone of the Disney Kingdom.

Edited by Pop

Probably Disney, upon realizing that the Disney Kingdom IP is popular with families, and that the Wii is also popular with families. Overwhelmingly so. Exclusivity was probably decided when they realized you couldn't replicate desired gameplay mechanics on systems without motion detection.

This could be one of those rare AAA titles to really crack the Wii market.

Edited by Pop

Ugh, just what the world needs. Another comic character gone serious and dark.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"