The New Classics

entrerix

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis/Drakensang could become quite the cult classics. The excellent games nobody at the other side of the pond played because it got unnoticed in the smoke curtains put up by BioWare & Bethesda.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Not really purk. Oblivion was a very popular game. Can you call it a classic?

In the hearts and minds of the current mainstream, yes. It is pretty much the only reason Fallout 3 sold ~9 million+ copies. There's still a bunch of people who play Oblivion and probably enjoy it a lot.

Basically the formula is: popular game today -> classic in the future. It's as simple as that.

no way! seriously you're not thinking that logic through! in ten years will the gaming community be praising nintendogs as a true classic worthy of being put alongside metroid zelda system shock or baldurs gate?

what about wii play? its not even really a game, but its popular as all hell. or even better madden 2008 - millions of copies sold, yet Im pretty sure in ten years you wont see this bad boy in any top 100 games of all time lists...

popular DOES NOT EQUAL FUTURE CLASSIC.

though to be a future classic it REALLY helps to have been popular on release. but slowtrains example of system shock 1 shows that its not required.

Sorry, let's make an exception for all things Nintendo(damn casuals messing up my formula). A popular game on the PS360 -> classic in the future.

It's just a general guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Games like Shadow of the Colossus will also be considered classics because of their artsy-ness and doing different things, even if they're not popular.

Edited by Purkake

is every popular game from 10 years ago now a classic?

no.

so stop with the crazy logic that makes ZERO sense!

(im not mad, just trying to be persuasive :)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Virumor: Have those games been released as English language releases yet?

Drakensang: yes + prequel in the making (yey!)

Divinity 2: no, but the game was developed in English... only reason there hasn't yet been an international release is that developers are currently (apparently) having trouble negotiating with 'assertive' publishers. New patch is coming soon with a ton of improvements which should make the game even more kick-ass.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Sigh. Please check your statement. Do you really believe Gears of War X will be remembered after Gear's of War X+1 is released? There are a bunch of games that are "flagships" of this generation of consoles. Do you really believe MGS4 was "better" experience than its predecesors or the manly man greyish browns are the classics?

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

is every popular game from 10 years ago now a classic?

no.

so stop with the crazy logic that makes ZERO sense!

(im not mad, just trying to be persuasive :)

No not every popular game, but there's a good chance that if a game is popular it will also be considered a classic. There are of course exceptions, which is why I said that it's not a hard and fast rule.

Let's look at the best selling 360 games from wikipedia:

• # Halo 3 (8.1 million)
    # Gears of War (5 million, may include PC version)
    # Gears of War 2 (5 million)
    # Grand Theft Auto IV (4.324 million approximately: 3.29 million in US, at least 1 million in UK, 34,000 in Japan)
    # Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (4.172 million approximately: 3.04 million in US, 78,000 in Canada, 54,742 in Japan, at least 1 million in UK)
    # Call of Duty: World at War (3.35 million approximately: 2.75 million in US, 600,000 in UK)

Are you telling me that Halo 3, Gears of War, GTA IV and CoD4 won't be seen as classics in however many years?

since everyone except purkake agrees that popular does not equal future classic, we may now continue with the serious suggestions!

:)

I liked for possible candidates:

Bioshock

maybe riddick

maybe company of heroes

probably wow

maybe world of goo

probably resident evil 4 (but not 5)

shadow of colossus

i DO NOT THINK:

halo 3 (i DO think halo 1 is a classic, but that game is almost ten years old! its not NEW)

gears of war 2 (maybe part 1 though)

CoD world at war (maybe CoD: MW though)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm just trying to show the correlation. Again, I'm not saying that every popular game will be a classic, I'm saying that a popular game has a higher chance of being a classic in the future.

The games will be seen as franchises. Gears of War 1 or 2 won't be the classic, just Gears of War the franchise of cover-based third person shooters will be the classic, spawning a mass of other third person cover-based shooters. The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare franchise will be seen as another console multiplayer FPS done well in addition to Halo.

Super Mario Bros 1 is the most popular NES game with over 40 million units sold, it's also one of the classics.

I'm just trying to show the correlation. Again, I'm not saying that every popular game will be a classic, I'm saying that a popular game has a higher chance of being a classic in the future.

ok this makes sense, and is what i was actually trying to persuade you of. your initial statement was much more black and white than this :)

I'm not sure about "franchises" being classics, to some degree yes, but not always, so for now lets stick to naming individual games unless the nominator thinks there is a reason why the whole franchise and not just the first in the series will be deemed "classic" by future gamers (or us when we're even more crotchety)

NWN.

BIO's most successful game. Great reviews. Popular with the majority of fans despite some vocal dissant (usually a sign of how popular a game is), Still being discussed. Has influenced multiple games, and companies and has led to such popular games like TW (even though I'm not personally a fan), sequels, expansions, digital downloads, is still heavily discussed, etc. Heck, Atari is thinking of making NWN3 into a full fledge MMORPG just based on how marketable the name is. That's one of the defintions of a classic - that people know what it is whether they have even played it or not or they hate.

LONG LIVE NWN!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

NWN is classic in the PC space, but it is practically unknown in the mainstream console market.(for obvious reasons)

Super Mario Galaxy, GTA IV with it's "Hollywood worthy" story, SFIV, Uncharted and some XBLA/PSN games like REZ HD, Geometry Wars 2, Wipeout HD. Maybe Pixeljunk: Eden and Flower for their artsy value.

NWN.

is 7 years old. disqualified from this thread!

i know you like the game, but this thread has a 5 year limit on "NEW"

No not every popular game, but there's a good chance that if a game is popular it will also be considered a classic. There are of course exceptions, which is why I said that it's not a hard and fast rule.

• # Halo 3 (8.1 million)
    # Grand Theft Auto IV (4.324 million approximately: 3.29 million in US, at least 1 million in UK, 34,000 in Japan)
    # Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (4.172 million approximately: 3.04 million in US, 78,000 in Canada, 54,742 in Japan, at least 1 million in UK)
    # Call of Duty: World at War (3.35 million approximately: 2.75 million in US, 600,000 in UK)

Are you telling me that Halo 3, Gears of War, GTA IV and CoD4 won't be seen as classics in however many years?

It also stands that if a game is popular, there's a good chance the game is good.

Having said that, I have a feeling the original Halo will be deemed more of a classic than Halo 3, but that's just me.

It also stands that if a game is popular, there's a good chance the game is good.

Having said that, I have a feeling the original Halo will be deemed more of a classic than Halo 3, but that's just me.

It's all connected *puts on tinfoil hat*.

That may very well be. It would be fun to see how many of the Halo 3 players have actually played Halo 1.

• # Halo 3 (8.1 million)

The original halo was a classic, the other two were just playing with the formula that Halo implimented

I think Company of Heroes will be remembered as being the first real "tactics" game on the main stream market.

CoD4 will probably be a classic.

Assassins Creed will probably get it for the non-linear parkour.

And Metal Gear Solid 2 will get a classic sticker

As will Kingdom Hearts.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

-Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is probably the game that defines this (console) generation.

-World of Warcraft will have it's place in history, no matter if it dies slow death or if the servers crash and burn tomorrow.

-Bioshock is game where all the right lessons are learnt from previous generation games like System Shock. Thru careful data collecting, developers managed to find thing that majority of the gamers like and dislike.

-The Witcher is cult classic.

-MotB is one of best expansions ever. Unfortunately it might remain as such as more and more developers move to boring DLC model. Cult classic.

-Fallout 3 is THE Fallout for the majority. Then again, before Fallout there was Wasteland and so on. Every generation needs their mutants.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

And Metal Gear Solid 2 will get a classic sticker

As will Kingdom Hearts.

these are both too old to fall under this thread

but I agree they will be/are classics among console games

doesnt hurt to make a distinction

you just like to start arguments, I can tell.

:)

wow and company of heroes werent multiplatform

edit: i see sawyer! make a suggestion you magnificent creator of fallout NV!

Edited by entrerix

...but this thread has a 5 year limit on "NEW"

Then I nominate GTA: San Andreas!

That's a game that did so well on so many fronts: great driving mechanics, great story (that I think will stand the test of time, as a slice of time itself in computer format), fantastic world, pretty amazing technology (may not look so hot, but no loading screens and flawless gameplay with boats, planes, jetpacks etc.).

I know I replay it every once in a while. Much more FUN than GTA4. Or Saint's Row 2.

And it was released in October 2004. That's within five years! Yay.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Skipping on the time limit a bit, I find Vice City to be a much better game, even if it has less things to do than San Andreas. it has a better story, better aesthetics, better music selection....

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

And I disagree. I loved that I could turn my character into a fat slob or a muscle man in San Andreas. I loved how the world felt so vast and varied. I loved the cars, motorcycles, planes, helicopters, boats, jetski's, jetpacks, tractors. I loved how you can SWIM and DIVE in San Andreas (try that in Vice City..). I loved how you could train your character in almost every aspect (shooting, running, cycling, driving, flying, fighting, swimming, diving).

But I do agree that the story was tighter in Vice City and that the music was better.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!