• 2 years later...

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE:

some new "new" classics:

red dead redemption

mass effect 2

fallout new vegas

dark/demons souls

batman arkham asylum

anyone have any other thoughts on games that were released in the last few years that might be considered "classics" a decade from now?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Erhhh... without reading the thread again, what was it that made a game a classic? :unsure:

Fanaticism of fans, sheer numbers sold, how often it's used as reference point for similar games? etc.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Classics were stopped being made in 2003.

So next year will that be 2004?

I thought this last year was one of the best I've ever had for games. So many of them convinced me to call in sick for work. So I think a lot of the 2011 crop will be on the list, but I do like to give them a bit more time to see if they have long term legs. Off the cuff, I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution deserves the title.

I don't know. I really like some of the games released these days, but I can't think of any I'll want to come back and play again and again for the next 5+ years, whereas I'm still having a lot of fun with Baldur's Gate. The Witcher series are the games that I really love when playing but I'm surprised by how little I care to go back to them; Skyrim, which I thought was a great way to redeem Bethesda, doesn't either, whereas I keep thinking I want to replay Morrowind (even if the actual experience of replaying doesn't quite hold up). I think FNV would have a shout here, if the combat system wasn't so silly to begin with.

classic in this case mostly just means: a game that will be looked upon very favorably in 10 years, either for advancing some aspect of game design, or just being so good that people are still talking about it in ten years.

we talk about classics all the time, baldurs gate, fallout, planescape torment etc. i personally dont think anything in the past few years is as good as torment or fallout, but some stuff is good enough that i think people will still be talking about it in a decade.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Is Left 4 Dead a classic? It was a lot of fun for a very short time, mostly the time it took before it lost its novelty after a few months or the maps got to repetitive, because it's really such a small game.. It took me less than a week to be fed up with it. It's surely a better looking and more polished version than any of it's predecessors, but I actually thought the game would be much deeper in the single player, I was fooled by a few online comics, I was expecting some dialogue and adventure in the singleplayer, getting to know your crew and so on, but I was really surprised about how short and shallow it was.. And online it only worked well with friends.. and no more than eight of them. That was quite a limit.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Only Demon's Souls and maybe Dark Souls deserve this title nowadays...

Aaaaand you can bet your ass that lot of people will be in 10 years still talking about FFXIII, because of it's controversy, but I do not think, this is enough to make it a classic like VI, VII, IX or X :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Can't think of any recent games that could be held as a classic and spoken of for years to come.

I know I'll have fond memories of Risen, New Vegas and Witcher 2 for a long time, but I can't really say if they can be count as to-be-classics.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."