The New Classics

entrerix

Ok here goes:

It seems to me that many, if not most people on the boards can agree about certain games being "classics". I've noticed, particularly in the rpg area, the same handful of games being mentioned, and most of these games are 5-10 years old.

This thread is not about the death of good gaming, but instead, a place to post games that you think could possibly be looked back on 5-10 years from now, as being classics, or groundbreakers etc.

obviously someone is gonna say something like "fallout 3", and other people will try and argue, but I really don't want to have too many tangents in here, so I'd humbly request that if you MUST go on a tangent about someones suggestion that you both keep it civil as well as posting your own suggestion of a potential modern classic. that way, if you cant think of one, you arent allowed to bash someone elses suggestion :mellow:

Last point, for now, some games, like fallout 3 again, have been built on classic games. that does not necessarily disqualify them: deus ex is widely considered a classic but it would not exist without games like system shock having come before. most games are built on older ideas so don't let that disqualify a suggestion, so long as your suggestion added SOMETHING OF VALUE to the formula/idea whatever.

so I'll start with my first suggestion: Bioshock.

it's obviously built on games like system shock, but it will be looked back on fondly by people years from now for having done several things (though it was not the FIRST to do any of these, it was the combination of elements that will make it a classic):

1. It demonstrated, to the growing masses of console gamers, that atmosphere and character (through the voice snippets) can make a game better than just having flashy halo action.

2. it demonstrated that a strong artistic and sound direction can elevate a game in much the same way a movie can be elevated

3. it had a cool and memorable plot twist and villain set (though a lackluster final battle)

4. it was kinda scary (which for some reason makes games much more memorable in my opinion)

final thoughts: it's kinda sad that bioshock is in many ways a slightly dumbed down sequel to system shock. yet in other ways, particularly art and sound direction, it far exceeded the original classic games. I suppose that when it comes down to it, bioshock will be considered a classic in later years because of it's remarkable and memorable atmosphere.

but only time will tell! maybe ten years from now no one will hardly remember it at all!

oh and more rules: the game has to be LESS than five years old to count as "new"

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Nothing I can think of in the last few years. Not there haven't neccessarily been any; I just don't think I've played them.

But its hard to say; a pretty decent chunk of time needs to pass before games can be evaluated as to their impact/importance/etc on gaming as a whole.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

In the realm of strategy:

Company of Heroes & Warhammer: Dawn of War (+Dark Crusade)

- perfected the squad based RTS formula

- outstanding gameplay

- outstanding graphical design (CoH)

RPG's:

Mask of the Betrayer:

- cult classic, not general classic because the only area it really excels in is storyline

The Witcher:

- same as above (cult classic), not on account of storyline but because of its general freshness and uniqueness at the time it was released (this could possibly be tarnished with a lackluster sequel)

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Braid.

Never understood the love for MOTB, very conventional and average RPG.

Argh! Me and Braid, we go way back. I hate it with a fiery passion because of the pretentious

"it's actually about the making of the atomic bomb"

story. I can appreciate the gameplay, but the hate still burns with the fire of a thousand suns.

Edited by Purkake

I don't think enough time has passed on either Bioshock or The WItcher that we can yet know how they stand in the pantheon of gaming.

At this point, to me, neither one qualifies as a classic. But that could change in a few years.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't think enough time has passed on either Bioshock or The WItcher that we can yet know how they stand in the pantheon of gaming.

At this point, to me, neither one qualifies as a classic. But that could change in a few years.

By that time the Bioshock franchise will be run so deep into the ground that even Bioshock 5: The re-return of the Big Half-Cousin won't save it.

i would second braid, portal for sure, and maybe company of heroes as well

and to the earlier questions: its more about the games you think will be looked at 5-10 years from now as being "classics", the kinda game that might still get the same sort of nostalgia praise as fallout or baldurs gate. for EITHER moving things forward and creating new ideas, OR for being a shining example of quality game-making that will be remembered for decades.

i personally feel skeptical that ANYTHING in the last five years will ever be looked at that fondly by myself personally, but its not just about your personal feelings but rather what games you think will be GENERALLY thought of as classics by the future gaming communities.

and was beyond good and evil 5 years ago? its about that old i guess?

oop - it's 6 years old, so it just misses my 5 year rule suggestion, but we can fudge it a little and include it :lol:

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

oh snap! just thought of two:

World of Goo.

anyone who has played and finished it will probably agree.

Resident Evil 4: came out it 2005, this is so far the pinnacle of console "survival horror" despite its action-movie leanings. also one of the best lovecraft-ish games I've played.

- its a shame the sequel didnt build more on it.

Edited by entrerix

I was thinking Batman as well, but I think it needs more time. Classics tend to be games that I desire to replay a few years down the road. It's hard to judge just what that may be right now.

Saints Row 2 - I keep coming back to it. It bested GTA4 in my eyes. I'd put it right next to Vice city in the classic list.

Portal - Very creative, has cake.

MLB 09 The Show - possibly the best sports game ever, because it really puts you in the shoes of a professional athlete.

Mount & Blade - I'm not sure when this was originally released, but it's impressive, and I think the sequel might have a shot at being a huge success.

I get the impression that a lot of folks here are looking for someone to emulate the classics of yesteryear. While I would love to see a new Xcom, I think you will find more happiness if you expand your horizons and try different experiences. For example, the Wii has a couple games that will go down as classics because they are revolutionizing the way we play.

What will be looked at as classics in 5-10 years by the mainstream gaming community? Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Mass Effect(with sequels), Bioshock and a bunch of weird Japanese games that only the Sony fanboys care about(MGS4, FFXIII+).

Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian for the artsy crowd.

World of Goo is an awesome indie game, but no one is going to remember it as a classic.

Edited by Purkake

i personally feel skeptical that ANYTHING in the last five years will ever be looked at that fondly by myself personally, but its not just about your personal feelings but rather what games you think will be GENERALLY thought of as classics by the future gaming communities.

Yeah, I agree. I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. Personally, STALKER:SOC is a absolute classic of gaming and one of my favorites ever ( and ever is a long long time for me). But, however highly I may think of it, does STALKER do something so awesome or so new or so perfectly that is merits status as an all time classic of gaming. I don't think so.

Otoh, I personally think Bioshock is a chunk of poo, but I can see the viewpoint that is has some hallmarks of what makes a classic. So I am rwecpetive to the idea.

I think, with a little thought, its possible to greatly reduce personal bias when evaluating games.

the whole point of this thread is GUESSING how games will end up in the pantheon. make educated guesses, but you're right, there is no way to know now!

ooh i second shadow of the colossus, even though your nomination is a bit sarcastic feeling :lol:

also, you may be right about world of goo and I'm letting my personal love of the game cloud my judgment too much.

halo is too old to be part of this list, it came out in 2001!

[Argh! Me and Braid, we go way back. I hate it with a fiery passion because of the pretentious

"it's actually about the making of the atomic bomb"

story. I can appreciate the gameplay, but the hate still burns with the fire of a thousand suns.

To me the story was a minor bonus (and more interesting if the hidden meanings are explained), the game can be played for the puzzles and artwork alone. Also the paintings you were assembling are kind of interesting, I wish I could figure out how they fit into the story.

If we're talking strategy, I nominate Combat Mission : Shock Force, the most realistic tactical wargame available, check it out.

BG&E, I agree is a great game, but I feel it gets too much praise. It's like a combination of Thief 3 and Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey, but both of those games are much deeper and more deserving of praise.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

To me the story was a minor bonus (and more interesting if the hidden meanings are explained), the game can be played for the puzzles and artwork alone. Also the paintings you were assembling are kind of interesting, I wish I could figure out how they fit into the story.

Everything would have been awesome, but I felt that the developer really needed to one-up me in the end and pull a twist worthy of M. Night Shyamalan himself.

It was totally unnecessary, but apparently the game wasn't artsy enough. Having the story be

Tim actually being a creepy stalker instead of the white knight

as the ending suggested, would have been perfect, but Mr. Blow just had to mess it all up.

The first Halo was definitely a classic, the other games in the series an attempt to cash in by hacks after all the creative people left the developer.

That won't stop them from being seen as classics by the mainstream. It's the most played game on Live, to this day.

Edited by Purkake

layed for the puzzles and artwork alone. Also the paintings you were assembling are kind of interesting, I wish I could figure out how they fit into the story.

If we're talking strategy, I nominate Combat Mission : Shock Force, the most realistic tactical wargame available, check it out.

BG&E, I agree is a great game, but I feel it gets too much praise. It's like a combination of Thief 3 and Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey, but both of those games are much deeper and more deserving of praise.

you I think, did not understand the point of this thread. you nominated a game that virtually no has heard of, and never will! then you knocked BG&E saying that because thief 3 is deeper BG&E won't be considered a classic 10 years from now?

i'm just being a little jerk though, so pay me no mind if you dont want to :lol:

Edited by entrerix