Downbeat preview

For what it's worth, here are two other previews that were written by people who saw the game at the same time and in the same session as the Play magazine author:

http://www.gameon.co.uk./game/preview/xbox...om-2009-preview

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/08/...-2009-day-two/2

"This is, by far, the game that we most want from GamesCom 2009 so far. It simply looks fantastic and, if Sega and Obsidian manage to pull it off, this could be a decent spiritual successor to Deus Ex"

So...yeah.

Matthew Rorie

Sounds like this guy was trying make mountains out of mole hills to me. I have seen enough of the game customization-wise, gameplay-wise, dialog-wise and story-wise to know that I am going to dig the hell out of the game, regardless of nit picky reviews. I love my fantasy and sci fi rpgs, but the genre needs something fresh, to put it mildly. AP is looking like it will fill that void for me. I just hope that October holds for the release.

Sheeesh. A 'reviewer' which can't be bothered to actually play the game(I would assume)...how can you take it seriously?

Not ONCE in that review does he spell Mikes name right. 'Thornton' everywhere. Seven separate counts. And not Thorton once.

Gott's leetle feesh in trousers!

With a story rivalling the best spy-thriller novels and an immersive, ultra-realistic espionage world, Alpha Protocol will redefine the RPG genre for the next-gen gamer.

I think they're sugarcoating a bit.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's like Yin and Yang, they balance out in the end. Or maybe not.

On one hand, as a consumer, I'm fond of hearing counter points to commodities I praise. It helps me keep a balanced perspective (depending on the complaints).

On the other hand, speaking as one who wants Alpha Protocol to succeed despite any inherent limitations of the design, I worry what negative press will do to this title's reception given Sega's meager advertising campaign and stiff competition.

Oh well..

Edited by Anarchosyn

It has been shown time and time again that reviews have very little, if any effect on sales, at least for console titles.

Has it really? At best I think you can say their hasn't been a correlation between positive reviews and a game's success. However, even this is questionable since there may have been other factors at work here. One could easily claim there was evidence of negative reviews impacting the success of a title, but - again - other factors could easily mess up your data.

I certainly wouldn't want to take on that study..

Anyhow, my point is you can't really say that definitely.

*eDit: Oh, and the influence of a media source is a function of its size and readership (perhaps even the educational levels of its readership, but we can ignore that one for now). IGN panning AP would certainly effect sales more than Game's Radar or The RPG Codex.

*eDit #2: Ok, upon a five second reflection I'm of the opinion mediated opinions certainly have an effect. The only question is how large this effect is, not whether it is present at all.

Edited by Anarchosyn