New IGN Preview

Dang. The only thing that could turn me away from this game is if it doesnt work. That and not including chievos. I would be more than willing to beta-test the game for you and find some of those bugs. Eh, Rorie? :brows:

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Unfortunately, it sounds like they noticed one of my fears: that the game levels are too focused on fighting towards objectives rather than mixing it up with conversations, exploration, etc. Seems like they've nailed Bourne and Bauer, but are lacking on Bond.

Opinions are the root of all evil.

Unfortunately, it sounds like they noticed one of my fears: that the game levels are too focused on fighting towards objectives rather than mixing it up with conversations, exploration, etc. Seems like they've nailed Bourne and Bauer, but are lacking on Bond.

Well, IMO, both Bourne and Bauer spend more time investigating/talking than fighting; so IMO they've nailed none of the above. That said, I agree with the basic point.

And that sounds like harsh criticism when I haven't even played the game yet, but realistically there's only so much Obs can do in one game. The whole package of "spy" would be great, but I'll gladly settle for what they've got (already pre-ordered).

Interesting, based on that preview I'd say Bond is the only thing they got right.

It is my impression, based on what we've heard before, that Saudi Arabia is going to be the most straight-forward section of the game.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Guest PoziomyPion

Well , if AP will be as buggy as Neverwinter Nights 2 on release, I'm definietly not buying it until it gets patched or re-released. I'm sorry but I am not content on beta-testing a game I buy.

As the article said,the game may be buggy because it is an early build, but still, Obsidians record makes me loose my pink glasses.

Bah! I'm a fan of the Gothic series! Years of constant crashing and frustration has made me impervious to puny bugs!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

1. AI

2. Bugs

Get cracking Obsidian!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well , if AP will be as buggy as Neverwinter Nights 2 on release, I'm definietly not buying it until it gets patched or re-released. I'm sorry but I am not content on beta-testing a game I buy.

As the article said,the game may be buggy because it is an early build, but still, Obsidians record makes me loose my pink glasses.

NWN2 patches sometimes did more damage than good. Having said that though, I personally never had much trouble with NWN2 and it's expansions, but the posts on the forums tell me I was the exception not the rule.

Here we go again, the fanboys are giving Goldstein **** once again for that preview. Although 2 of 16 comments flaming him is a pretty good ratio for him. Still it's not APs most glowing preview.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

The missions are less spectacular than the setup. Most are fairly linear and while the objectives may change, the approach seems the same. Sneak your way across an area to get to the target. Or you can run and gun. Or, more likely, you can try stealth until you're spotted, then kill folks.

The AI is pretty simple-minded and it's not always clear when you are fully in cover.

Just what I feared, the standard Obsidian flaw and that keeps on repeating itself: a great story with great characters dragged down by sterile gameplay. I thought I saw a lack of variation in gameplay in the videos as well, but I hoped I was wrong.

As for bugs KOTOR II and NWN2 ran perfectly fine on my PCs. NWN2 was horribly unoptimized, but that's about it.

Edit:

Surely the final game won't simply transfer the player from safehouse to mission and back again... surely that was merely an unexplained demo condition designed to save time? Regardless, it was safehouse-to-segue-to-mission.

Oh crap, not this as well.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

That doesn't sound too good. If the preview is to be trusted, a delay would be most welcome.

Though I must admit that I'm amused that bigger titles are getting a free pass and yet AP is rather heavily criticized.

Actually they are just being frank about Alpha Protocol unlike the usual hyping of ****ty AAA games or downright lying about them. Even if Alpha Protocol is a broken mess it will still be a better game than the likes of Oblivion or Fallout though.

I'm just surprised that Obsidian keeps on making the same mistakes over and over again. Troika did the same and look where that got them.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Actually they are just being frank about Alpha Protocol unlike the usual hyping of ****ty AAA games or downright lying about them.

Yeah, that's my point.

Even if Alpha Protocol is a broken mess it will still be a better game than the likes of Oblivion or Fallout though.

Most likely, yes. But then again, making a game better than Oblivion or Fallout 3 is not a huge feat, is it? o:)

Edited by Karranthain

Most likely, yes. But then again, making a game better than Oblivion or Fallout 3 is not a huge feat, is it? o:)

Most responses on this forum will say no. I will say nothing will matter if this game doesn't ship 2mil+ considering it's on both consoles and PC.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Most responses on this forum will say no. I will say nothing will matter if this game doesn't ship 2mil+ considering it's on both consoles and PC.

You mean for the purpose of supporting the further work of Obsidian, or will that be some sort of measure of quality?

logosig2.jpg

From the Jolt preview:

Specifically, segue cut scenes looked disappointing by the standards of some genre heavyweights - and worryingly there was no exterior exploration or travel to view as Thornton prepared to unleash his heroics. Surely the final game won't simply transfer the player from safehouse to mission and back again... surely that was merely an unexplained demo condition designed to save time? Regardless, it was safehouse-to-segue-to-mission. Done. Exterior gameplay was necessary, and its no-show was a distinct disappointment. Furthermore, as an aesthetic aside, characters were visually lacking in, well... emotion and character, and dialogue animation was particularly undercooked.

I'm sorry, but I have to wonder what "genre heavyweights" we are talking about here? If we're talking the realms of RPGs, the only games I can think of that really do the "cut scene thing" at all are Biowares games, and at least Mass Effect and/or Dragon Age don't particularly advanced in this section either. Just what are they comparing with here?

Secondly, I can see the appeal of having travel distances to play between safehouse and missions. But really, why is it so hard to accept a different approach in the gameplay here? If this was a sequel to Baldurs Gate or whatever, then yeah, a mission-based approach would surely be a disappointment. But this is a new IP, doing different things. There are some great mission-based games out there.

And again, with the animations, emotion etc... Just what are we comparing with here? Mass Effect? Fallout 3 (oh lawd)? Don't get me wrong, I don't think any RPG has matched Bloodines in terms of "digital acting" on NPC faces, but I hardly think Bloodlines is what they're comparing with here. Come on guys, give us something to work with.

Once ready to take on the mission, which involved a straightforward assault on a luxury yacht to retrieve valuable documents, the same slickly clean graphical style seen in the safehouse was offset by a bout of unintentionally comical running and gunning on a disco dance floor that culminated in Thornton embroiled in a Naked Gun shooting match where the elite protagonist and his enemy were separated by only a grand piano - yet couldn't seem to fire with enough accuracy to kill each other.

This sounds more worrying to me, and it's something which is often a flaw in action-RPGs if you ask me. But then again... Why did noone bring up that you can fire an entire clip of Assault Rifle ammo in someones face in Fallout 3 and they still ran around just fine? Blergh, I hate some previews for this reason. It's very selective stuff. One game is magically excused, another one isn't. I'd love if the gaming journalists were more critical of games overall but the change in attitude and facts reported, depending on what developer is developing the game, really sucks.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

n...no... my video game...

But seriously, what are they complaining about? I keep reading these things and besides the IGN guy's mention of bugs, what's the problem? No "segue cut scenes"? I don't even know what that means... does it mean that the game doesn't have me staring at that goddamn mass driver, like in Mass Effect, or what?

And I've seen plenty of conversation in the video previews, and it didn't look bad or anything.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

n...no... my video game...

But seriously, what are they complaining about? I keep reading these things and besides the IGN guy's mention of bugs, what's the problem? No "segue cut scenes"? I don't even know what that means... does it mean that the game doesn't have me staring at that goddamn mass driver, like in Mass Effect, or what?

And I've seen plenty of conversation in the video previews, and it didn't look bad or anything.

Maybe he's missing the ME elevators.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif