FO:NV

Gorth

I meant Bethesda's version of Gamebryo, which will probably be used in Fallout:New Vegas. Are Bethesda still developing it? Are they going to switch to IdTech 5? Are Obsidian altering it heavily to keep up? Who knows. Just trying to start a discussion.

I keep thinking about some ideas I'd like to see integrated into the game at launch or afterwards in a patch, and just thought I'd see what other people thought about them here.

Where I'm coming from on this: I'd like to see DLC (assuming there will be some developed by Obsidian) that's better integrated with the world in a more logical and rewarding manner, and the global travel system player made mod serves as launching pad for the following idea.

I'd like see a vehicle introduced to the game, probably a sedan since it would have the room to bring your party with you and extra cargo room. It wouldn't have to be so fast that it pushed what the engine was capable of, and the physics model for the handling could be pretty basic and still be acceptable. You could move around in the game world at greater speed, with a greater degree of protection (although you'd have to be more warry of the topography and various physical barriers). The idea stemming from that that I'd find most interesting would be using the vehicle as a means to access added dlc areas by traveling to the edge of the map, thereby triggering the option to leave the default player world and enter a larger overland travel map which links everything together, instead of using object triggers such as the handcart for The Pitt, or the sleeping cot for Point Lookout. Returning to the starter area would be handled the exact same way, just in reverse. You might even throw in the ability to access the same overland travel map on foot, just with much longer travel times. Tie in the use of random encounter cells on these long journeys, ala Dragon Age Origins (or really the original Fallouts for those who've played them) and you've a complete and cohesive feature set which adds to the grandness of scale without requiring the areas in between be fully fleshed out. It would also be a boon to those in the modding community by creating a standard system for adding player made areas that aren't directly connected to the default world, but can be accessed via this overworld map.

So... thoughts?

Edited by Mikhailian

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Additional thoughts I had on how to mitigate the need for massive additional assets...

Instead of creating a fully funtional vehicle complete with passengers and driving anims for the player, you just use a generic interaction anim for opening the door, and a "sitting down" animation for the character getting in/out of the car. To prevent additional animations for the player operating and reacting to vehicle motions, you simply armour up the exterior so the player can't see inside. Think of panels of riveted diamond plate with little viewports instead of windows, and probably a few other custom visual tweaks to the model. This would also create the additional benefit of making the vehicle standout amongst the all the dead prop vehicles the player is likely to encounter, and make the vehicle feel a little more special. Once the player and npc models have entered the vehicle and the doors are shut, the game engine can stop rendering them, which will help performance.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

• 2 weeks later...

ahmahgawd imma faint

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

cmon cmon cmon cmon POST THE DAMN TRAILER YOU ROTTEN SCALLYWAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whew ok, just joking, no im not but seriously, if you're gonna tease a teaser, better have that bad boy posted soon or throw up a lame countdown somewhere or something so we know when we'll see something.

my biggest excitement is the hope that maybe sawyer will be allowed to tell us a little more day-to-day stuff once the teaser hits (yeah i know wishful thinking, developers dont do that anymore unless its a PR sanctioned "developer diary" bull**** thing but still... i remember fondly the days of talking with the fallout 2 devs about what they were working on during the development... )

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

most likely it would, changes nothing about what i said though...

to be more clear, i hope that beth takes the leash off

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

At a BBQ joint in Maryland I saw this on the menu: The "Chris Rock" - Just One Rib $1.25

Ah. Branded '72, I presume.

Love the "I'm gonna get you sucka" reference.

Avellone is currently working as a senior designer on Fallout: New Vegas.

Short Bio: Obsidian has been around since 2004, and has created games such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Alpha Protocol. We're also currently working on Fallout: New Vegas, which features Josh Sawyer as Project Director and Chris Avellone, one of Obsidian's owners, as a Senior Designer...

Chris Avellone: I'd been working on Van Buren for a few years on-and-off at Black Isle, but Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate III (canceled) drafted me at various points so I wasn't able to devote my time fully to F3. It didn't really expand the team beyond just myself until BG3 got canceled and we had an entire team to roll onto it. I got to work with Josh on it as Creative Lead, which was great (and now we get to do it again, except I work as a senior designer reporting to Josh). Josh and I had been playing a pen-and-paper version of the actual game for a while along with other potential team members to test out locations and new turn-based mechanics we thought might be cool for the title...

Chris Avellone: I'm all done with Alpha Protocol now, it's in good shape. While I work on almost all the projects at Obsidian in some capacity as a Creative Director, Fallout New Vegas is my current focus now. It's great to be working directly on one of my favorite franchises, and it's great to be working with Josh again - he's got great stuff planned, and I think players are going to have a lot of fun in New Vegas...

Edited by funcroc

It depends. If the turn base system is like that of NWN2 it will mostly be in the background and hardly noticeable. If it like the old Fallout series then that could problem for the Bethesda fanboys, but I am sure they will adapt just as many of us adapted to the Fallout 3 gameplay and style. In any case I look forward to the game.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

new turn-based mechanics we thought might be cool for the title...
I smell a ****storm of Beth fanboys brewing in the distance.

Isn't that in reference to Van Buren?

Nope. New Vegas will be both isometric and turn based. I have a crystal ball and this is did shew. ;)

this sounds too good to be true ergo the game wont be turn based, dont get your hopes up

While you boys are making FONV, make sure you do some tinkering with the game engine, like make it more stable. Fallout 3 is crash worthy like the old Fallout games, well its double of the old games but it still follows in the tradition of being buggy.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.