questions about guns

just a few quick qestions as to what guns will be in the game. Handguns: will there be a version of the Judge (a pistol that shoots 2-10 shotguns shells {made by taurus}) ,or sum sort of 1911 45.cal ? . Assult Rifles: will there be a M4 carbine (or AR-15), or STG 77 (aka AUG PARA). I was just wondering if any of those whould be in the game. oh and the game is looking great, im definatly buying this one.

I don't think the names of the weapons are the actual manufacturers (an Ak-47 wouldn't be called an Ak-47), and as for the rest, i would assume an M4 would be in it, but I know there is a SCAR-L, a type of 5-7, and, thats about it.

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I don't think the names of the weapons are the actual manufacturers (an Ak-47 wouldn't be called an Ak-47), and as for the rest, i would assume an M4 would be in it, but I know there is a SCAR-L, a type of 5-7, and, thats about it.

Yep, it's the AKA47. ;)

Most of the weapon names I've seen so far have been pretty cool, though, so it might be at least as much fun as with the 'real' weapons.

Or real weapon names, at least. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It annoys me when games use names like 'pistol', 'rifle', or 'shotgun'. So I'm glad Obsid is going for unique weapon names.

Funny, I actually prefer games that, when they can't use licensed names, just have ones like "9mm pistol," or "5.56mm Assault rifle." These titles carry more meaning to me than trying to remember what arbitrary names a developer has chosen (no offense Obs). Usually if a game has fake weapon names I just call them by their caliber or the real weapon they best resemble anyway. I'm boring though.

I like it more when weapons dont even have names, so its all guesswork about which weapon your going to equip. Is it a rifle or a shotgun?

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Exactly! It makes the game more realistic. Now, if only every gun was pump-action, then we wouldn't be aable to tell apart shotguns and assault rifles in real life, so why should you be able to in a game?

salamando.gif

No! Im telling the truth! With todays modern weapons, you cant tell whats a shotgun and whats an assault rifle! Take the G11 for example.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...wehr_G11_sk.jpg

It looks like a rifle! It looks like a shotgun! It looks like an SMG! How do you tell? Fire it of course!

I had you going there. Admit it.

salamando.gif

Hopefully they have some 1911 pistol variant.

And zero USP's or the MK 23. Nobody worth their salt willing uses USP's.

Frankly nobody on a limited budget would use anything made by H&K. You can get better firearms for a fraction of the cost. Blackmarket or not.

Even assuming you did wind up with an H&K, it would still be a terrible choice because everything on them is proprietary. All your attachments would need adapters.

I am mortified by what you said about H&K. Simply mortified. You do know they were the ones that invented the MP5, one of the worlds most used sub-machineguns, including in use by the U.S. special forces? They sure don't seem to mind it too much.

salamando.gif

I am mortified by what you said about H&K. Simply mortified. You do know they were the ones that invented the MP5, one of the worlds most used sub-machineguns, including in use by the U.S. special forces? They sure don't seem to mind it too much.

Yes, the MP-5 is a well designed SMG that has gained a great deal of popularity. It remains extremely expensive. The lack of need for magazine interchangeability and weapon optics has prevented the proprietary portion of H&K's products from being an issue.

H&K makes good firearms, they just do so using non standardized equipment and then charge a large sum of money for them.

Look at the G36, it is a great battle rifle. But it uses proprietary magazines. There is absolutely ZERO reason that the G36 should not also be compatible with the STANAG magazines. It already uses the 5.56 NATO caliber, why not the mags? They even can both use the beta C-mags. Furthermore it uses integral optics and only after years of pressure did it mount 1913 rails.

Special operations likes the MP5SD really more than anything. The MP5SD sports the neat integral suppressor that doesn't require subsonic ammunition (As the suppressor naturally decreased muzzle velocity enough to drop it below the sound barrier), making it easy to get the ammunition through standard logistics routes. Other than that, the SMG is unremarkable and requires annoyingly specialized parts. I imagine if they could do the same with the Colt 635, they would jump at the opportunity due to the increased part compatibility on hand and equal, if not superior, performance in the field.

Err, with what authority do you speak on this subject?

I own two USP's (USP fullsized, and a USP compact tactical) among a whole host of other firearms.

They are heavy, overly complex, and over sized. The compact tactical weighs significantly more than my full sized Kimber Custom Covert II 1911 model and doesn't shoot anywhere near as well.

US SWAT agencies and special forces units are often given a choice on their personal sidearms within caliber restrictions. They consistently prefer glocks, sigs, or 1911 models(springfield and kimber being popular).

The DA/SA trigger just doesn't warrant the massive increase in weight and the decrease in reliability.

Yes, the MP-5 is a well designed SMG that has gained a great deal of popularity. It remains extremely expensive. The lack of need for magazine interchangeability and weapon optics has prevented the proprietary portion of H&K's products from being an issue.

H&K makes good firearms, they just do so using non standardized equipment and then charge a large sum of money for them.

Look at the G36, it is a great battle rifle. But it uses proprietary magazines. There is absolutely ZERO reason that the G36 should not also be compatible with the STANAG magazines. It already uses the 5.56 NATO caliber, why not the mags? They even can both use the beta C-mags. Furthermore it uses integral optics and only after years of pressure did it mount 1913 rails.

Special operations likes the MP5SD really more than anything. The MP5SD sports the neat integral suppressor that doesn't require subsonic ammunition (As the suppressor naturally decreased muzzle velocity enough to drop it below the sound barrier), making it easy to get the ammunition through standard logistics routes. Other than that, the SMG is unremarkable and requires annoyingly specialized parts. I imagine if they could do the same with the Colt 635, they would jump at the opportunity due to the increased part compatibility on hand and equal, if not superior, performance in the field.

True, but billions are spent on the Iraq war each year. Whats another one or two thousand to get a couple hundred special forces teams well equipped? All your other points arew valid.

salamando.gif

Yep, it's the AKA47. :p

Firearm manufacturers tend to be a lot more litigious when a name is attached instead of just a visual representation. Also a lot of the most commonly represented weapons are popular pattern firearms with tons of knock-off versions/variations. E.g. the M1911, Hi-Power, AK-47, etc. So even if something looks like an M1911, it would be hard to prove it's "really" an M1911 (no dude, it's totally a double-stack 10mm!), much less a Colt/Kimber/Springfield/Wesson blah, blah.

Yep, it's the AKA47. :lol:

Firearm manufacturers tend to be a lot more litigious when a name is attached instead of just a visual representation. Also a lot of the most commonly represented weapons are popular pattern firearms with tons of knock-off versions/variations. E.g. the M1911, Hi-Power, AK-47, etc. So even if something looks like an M1911, it would be hard to prove it's "really" an M1911 (no dude, it's totally a double-stack 10mm!), much less a Colt/Kimber/Springfield/Wesson blah, blah.

Hey, I hope you didn't think I'm bashing you guys about this, I perfectly understand the need and the solution - and looking at the names you have for the guns... a lot of them are better than the originals :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

True, but billions are spent on the Iraq war each year. Whats another one or two thousand to get a couple hundred special forces teams well equipped? All your other points arew valid.

Well the issue isn't so much the cost for the military as it is the logistics. It's hard to get non standard parts much of the time. Even for the special forces units.

Though for police departments the costs can be extremely prohibitive. It is one of several reasons why SWAT teams in the United States have largely mothballed their MP-5's in favor of AR-15 type rifles.

It's also why you don't really see PSG-1 sniper rifles in service with virtually anyone. It costs as much as some cars at 10-12K USD per unit. Even the military doesn't use them due to their extreme weight (18 lbs. The military version of the rifle is the MSG-90.).